khoazany

[U21s] The Axel Tuanzebe Thread

I do wonder how much he actually rates him and how much of it is just a token youth promotion, maybe i'm just being cynical there but if he wanted to dispel rumours about promoting youth this would be a great way of doing it...

However I know I've heard a lot of good things too so like I said, maybe I'm being overly cynical and in fact he's saying these things because he genuinely means them

He might as well just leave if the rumours about us being interested in De Vrij are true...

Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Bailly, De Vrij...where would Tuanzebe fit in? Actually we've been linked with Lindelof and De Vrij. The fact that we're linked with buying CB's instead of giving the kid a chance is galling.

59 minutes ago, dualtamac said:

He might as well just leave if the rumours about us being interested in De Vrij are true...

Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Bailly, De Vrij...where would Tuanzebe fit in? Actually we've been linked with Lindelof and De Vrij. The fact that we're linked with buying CB's instead of giving the kid a chance is galling.

I'm not trying to be a dick here or anything but have you even seen him play? I could be remembering wrong but I don't think you watched youth or reserve team games of course that could of changed and like I said i'm not trying to be a dick just a geniune question or are you just going by what you've heard about him? 

I agree Axel should leave, but he should leave on loan. He's still only 19 he has plenty of time on his side. 

As for us buying a centre back I think that was always going to be the case and I don't think there's a chance we sign two centre backs but one is fine. One of our centre backs could very well be sold too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling go for example.

As for not giving him a chance. How many top clubs give 19 year old defenders who have come through the acadamey a chance? It's sad but the fact is almost every young defender who plays for or got a good chance with an elite club will have been bought from another club. They don't tend to be given a chance as much as an attack minded young player might because all it takes is one mistake from a young defender to cost a goal that in the end of the season might be the diffrence between a cl spot or not and millions of millions of pounds and could even cost the club missing out on key targets in the transfer market. Like it or not money talks almost as much as anything at top level football these days. 

Then you have to add in the fact that he hasn't played a single second of professinal football in his life, and while he looks a level or two above u23 level he wouldn't be the first player to then go on and struggle with the step up from reserve level to the professinal level. 

Then you have to add in the pressure that Mourinho is under this season, youngsters were unlikely to be given a chance, but if the season ends in qualifying for the cl and a cup win or two and is deemed a sucsess, I wouldn't be surprised to see more youngsters be given a chance and to surprise his doubters wrong like he did when they said we would be a boring side to watch. 

I didn't expect this post to go so long ?

Tl;dr: Still 19, needs a loan before he can be given a proper chance, same story at every elite club, next season moght be the season Mourinho surprises people with more youth involved.

43 minutes ago, Canto said:

I'm not trying to be a dick here or anything but have you even seen him play? I could be remembering wrong but I don't think you watched youth or reserve team games of course that could of changed and like I said i'm not trying to be a dick just a geniune question or are you just going by what you've heard about him? 

I agree Axel should leave, but he should leave on loan. He's still only 19 he has plenty of time on his side. 

As for us buying a centre back I think that was always going to be the case and I don't think there's a chance we sign two centre backs but one is fine. One of our centre backs could very well be sold too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling go for example.

As for not giving him a chance. How many top clubs give 19 year old defenders who have come through the acadamey a chance? It's sad but the fact is almost every young defender who plays for or got a good chance with an elite club will have been bought from another club. They don't tend to be given a chance as much as an attack minded young player might because all it takes is one mistake from a young defender to cost a goal that in the end of the season might be the diffrence between a cl spot or not and millions of millions of pounds and could even cost the club missing out on key targets in the transfer market. Like it or not money talks almost as much as anything at top level football these days. 

Then you have to add in the fact that he hasn't played a single second of professinal football in his life, and while he looks a level or two above u23 level he wouldn't be the first player to then go on and struggle with the step up from reserve level to the professinal level. 

Then you have to add in the pressure that Mourinho is under this season, youngsters were unlikely to be given a chance, but if the season ends in qualifying for the cl and a cup win or two and is deemed a sucsess, I wouldn't be surprised to see more youngsters be given a chance and to surprise his doubters wrong like he did when they said we would be a boring side to watch. 

I didn't expect this post to go so long 1f602.png

Tl;dr: Still 19, needs a loan before he can be given a proper chance, same story at every elite club, next season moght be the season Mourinho surprises people with more youth involved.

tl;dr (nah just kidding, I of course read all of it ^^) 
I'd prefer that considering we already have 4 senior cb's that our fifth choice be a youngster who came through the ranks rather than buying another player. Simples.
No, I haven't watched youth games but from everything I've read he has huge potential and I've read quite a few reliable sources about. If we sell Smalling and buy two CB's I'd be bulling and rightly so. We can't ever lose the United tradition of giving youngsters a chance. 

My post was pre-emptive because I do love Mourinho and feel he is the right man to take us forward but he has to give kids a chance. He has to adapt that part of him and he has yet to show it. I'm just fearful that that trend will continue next season.
I hope I am wrong though...

And top clubs do give young defenders a chance...do you want me to go through history and name all the top defenders that were given debuts at age 19-20? It would take a long time....

tl;dr I hope Axel gets a chance next season but if we keep being linked to CB's I would be fearful in his shoes.

As much as I'd like to see De Vrij join us, I think it's a bullshit rumour. They said we'd actually signed him for £30m before the window opened, now he's joining us for £35m in the Summer, we're also after Manolas for £48m, etc. The only one that seemed like there was some genuine truth to it was the Lindelof link, because we have been scouting Benfica quite often this season, but that transfer appears to be dead now.

Axel will hopefully get a chance in the FA Cup. Next season he should go out on loan, for the whole year, to a club that will actually play him on a regular basis. 

I don't think we'll sign any centre back this Jan or summer, but regardless Axel has to beat off at least 1 senior CB if he wants to make it in the first team. Same with RoShaun or any other CB that will come through. They can learn from Jesse, he has earned the chance from Van Gaal because his form with the U23s/Reserves earlier in that season (mostly friendlies) had been crazy that LVG could not ignore.

56 minutes ago, khoazany said:

I don't think we'll sign any centre back this Jan or summer, but regardless Axel has to beat off at least 1 senior CB if he wants to make it in the first team. Same with RoShaun or any other CB that will come through. They can learn from Jesse, he has earned the chance from Van Gaal because his form with the U23s/Reserves earlier in that season (mostly friendlies) had been crazy that LVG could not ignore.

How has he been performing in general in your opinion? I've only seen good things but I'm not as up to date as you probably are.

He trained with the first team today.

The U23s don't have a game this week, so there really is no excuse for Mourinho not to put him on the bench and experience traveling to Hull with the squad.

Players that come up though the club should be given every chance.

He looked nervous yesterday and made a few errors.

Games like those are perfect for blooding youngsters though.

Next year will be crucial for him and I feel he needs a spell on loan to see if he can cut it.

Can understand from Jose's point of view, given the kind of games we are having doubt he will entrust young lads with the opportunities now. 

maybe LVG would have but then he is not the manager now. Lets see if he will get a game in this run in till end of season.