versa

[U18s] The Angel Gomes Thread

i hope he has same path or role with messi when Barca have Ronaldinho, giuly, eto'o, henry, etc. He is at intersection situation between messi or krkic right now. Already 17 also (Rashford debut around 17 too, right?) and we don't have any proper creative midfield too! (Pogba injured, and mikhi?)

On 06/11/2017 at 02:58, jokerz said:

i hope he has same path or role with messi when Barca have Ronaldinho, giuly, eto'o, henry, etc. He is at intersection situation between messi or krkic right now. Already 17 also (Rashford debut around 17 too, right?) and we don't have any proper creative midfield too! (Pogba injured, and mikhi?)

We need some perspective. He is a young kid with talent. No point making comparisons when he hasn't played any proper competitive football yet. 

Great news this the talk of him leaving was really starting to pick up. Huge coup for the club getting him to stay on pro terms when there was intrest from pretty much every major club in Europe watching him including Juventus Dortmund and Barcelona. One of the best talents the acadmey has had in years and years and right up there with the best ever apparently. 

Buzzing with this and that we've avoided another Pogba situation. 

Edited by Canto

On 13/12/2017 at 18:44, Canto said:

Great news this the talk of him leaving was really starting to pick up. Huge coup for the club getting him to stay on pro terms when there was intrest from pretty much every major club in Europe watching him including Juventus Dortmund and Barcelona. One of the best talents the acadmey has had in years and years and right up there with the best ever apparently. 

Buzzing with this and that we've avoided another Pogba situation. 

From what I've read on redcafe from people who keep track of the youth teams, he was offered a new contract and as a reward he was handed some game time last season. He was going to sign the new contract when he reached 17 years old.

Whilst I can see some similarities, it is also different to the Pogba situation in that Pogba and Fergie had a falling out whereas in this case, Gomes is not yet ready for first team football. 

18 hours ago, pailo said:

From what I've read on redcafe from people who keep track of the youth teams, he was offered a new contract and as a reward he was handed some game time last season. He was going to sign the new contract when he reached 17 years old.

Whilst I can see some similarities, it is also different to the Pogba situation in that Pogba and Fergie had a falling out whereas in this case, Gomes is not yet ready for first team football. 

I wasn't comparing him and Pogba as players or thier readyness for first team football but more that it would of been awful to lose one of our most talented young players with a good chance of playing with the first team in the future for little to no fee to another big club. 

We should have chances to ease him into the first team setup. No need to give him too much to soon or it will probably go to his head ala Januzaj, Macheda, Wilson etc. 

I'd say he's more talented than either of them. His agility on the ball is crazy. Lot of Raheem Sterling about him.

On 1/27/2018 at 04:31, TFIA said:

We should have chances to ease him into the first team setup. No need to give him too much to soon or it will probably go to his head ala Januzaj, Macheda, Wilson etc. 

I'd say he's more talented than either of them. His agility on the ball is crazy. Lot of Raheem Sterling about him.

Kind of agree... seeing him for say 10-15 mins in games we have already wrapped up will make a lot of good for him..next season we could see him more...

On 22/05/2014 at 17:57, Spoonman said:

Brian McClair looks like he should be selling copies of The Big Issue outside Tesco.

I passed him outside the ground once..1992 I think..he looked like a Glaswegian tramp back then too..