RedDevilDazzy

Scottish Football Thread

Couldn't find the SPL thread, so starting a new thread regarding Scottish Football. Big news today, Neil Lennon leaves Celtic. Could David Moyes go there?

It's a strong possibility actually....

No real surprise. I actually thought he might have left last summer because he didn't seem too happy then. Leaving aside his history with Celtic and the off-field troubles, from a career perspective it's not been a great job for him to have. Right from when Rangers got into their financial difficulties, he's been expected to win the league by a distance because of the fact there's no real competition, the same with the cups and he gets the criticism when they get knocked out. 

When it comes to Europe, he had one great season and their form/performances have improved considerably there, but after he lost the likes of Wanyama (in particular) and Hooper and didn't get to replace them he was also going to struggle afterwards. 

He will get a job in England at some point, but he might have to start off in the Championship. Lower half clubs in the Premier League might take a punt but that's not a certainty.

Thing is, for the time being at least, Celtic isn't attractive as a "challenge". You either take over and walk the league by March, or go after the Champions League which you'll never win in a million years. The fact is as much as they loath each other, Celtic need Rangers, and vice-versa.

However for Moyes it would practically be the reverse of the United situation, he could deliver trophies by the dozen, rebuilding his confidence and his reputation as well. If he stays down here he's going to be dogged by the "failed Man Utd manager" tag.

I saw your game where you were 2-0 up, and now you've gone down??? ouch...

Yeah. 2-0 loss today, it went to penalties where we lost 4-3.

I thought that we'd stay up after winning the first leg, but with the season we've had I can't say I'm surprised. I have thought for a while (before the first leg) we'd go down, that win was the odd result rather than today's. Hibs need huge changes. There's a new chief executive coming in, and it looks like she's going to make them.

The SPL could be close to being the worst it's ever been (if not the worst) next season, at least on paper. But the Championship will be tough, with Rangers, Hearts and now Hibs all involved. 

That's why I don't think Hibs will come straight back up. I think we'll be there for at least two seasons. 

Edited by Jay007

So, an update for anyone who missed it. The Stromsgodset manager Ronny Deila was given the Celtic job, with John Collins as his assistant.

Terry Butcher was sacked for leading Hibs to relegation. Today, Alan Stubbs was appointed as the new manager. Interesting to see how he gets on in his first job.

An update on Ryan Gauld, who was linked to us (and plenty of others), for anyone who hasn't seen it. He's moving to Sporting Lisbon for £3m. They obviously have a lot of faith in him, because they've given him a 6-year deal and they've put a transfer clause in his contract for £47m. 

I think it's a good move for him, providing he settles in well. He's going to a club who have a great record of developing young players, especially players like him. And, although he said a while ago his ideal transfer would be to Spain, I think it might prove beneficial to him to go somewhere with less pressure than one of the "big" leagues.

@Sporting4Ever will maybe keep me updated on his progress.  (y)

Edited by Jay007

An update on Ryan Gauld, who was linked to us (and plenty of others), for anyone who hasn't seen it. He's moving to Sporting Lisbon for £3m. They obviously have a lot of faith in him, because they've given him a 6-year deal and they've put a transfer clause in his contract for £47m. 

I think it's a good move for him, providing he settles in well. He's going to a club who have a great record of developing young players, especially players like him. And, although he said a while ago his ideal transfer would be to Spain, I think it might prove beneficial to him to go somewhere with less pressure than one of the "big" leagues.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.  My wee brother says he's a cracking player and thinks he has it in him to become something special.  It's a no-risk thing for Sporting - if you buy ten young players for 3 million pounds, but you sell one of them for 30 million down the line, you've broken even.

And Gauld will always have the option of coming back to Scotalnd.

Sporting have a great record for developing young players too, and in a less physical league a guy like him can go from strength to strength.  Wish him well.

hope this young fella does well,tired of seeing young guys wasting their time moving to either of the big 2 from Glasgow or chasing the money and moving to the Championship.

Yeah, I guess I can keep an eye on him and post updates here. I also hope he does well.

Apparently Celtic fans throwing objects at the board members

comes as no surprise,they've been lucky with some of the 'gems' they found,Hooper and Wanyama and now Forster and Van Dijk will bring in a few mill profit,but they have been replaced by shit.......watered down version of the dippers.....hooper>>>pukki.......suarez>>>lambert.

Can't see the manager lasting. At this rate I might have a few quid on the Dons for the League.

they'll walk the league....and thats the problem,zero competition,no need to spend big by scottish standard to win the league.just a case of the money men hoping to get lucky and make the group stages.

Can't see the manager lasting. At this rate I might have a few quid on the Dons for the League.

Celtic will still win the league, maybe not as comfortably as last season, but they will still win it. The other clubs are too far behind financially to compete, but Celtic are too far behind European clubs.

this does not slip is completely correct in what he's said. They've lost too many good players, and haven't been willing to spend money to replace them. That's one of the reasons Lennon left, for instance.

How long the manager lasts is an interesting question though, one that can't really be answered. He did a good job in Norway, but he's largely an unknown quantity in Scotland and he's under a strange, unique pressure in Scotland (especially since Rangers aren't in the SPL). It's seems that it won't matter what kind of job he does, it won't be good enough.