Premier League 22/23 Thread

Liverpool start the season with a win in the Community Shield.

City looked disjointed, whereas Liverpool looked sharp already.

Both now have their '9s'. Haaland didn't get off to a great start with a few missed chances, one a real sitter (albeit that one was at the end when the game was pretty much over), but Nunez looked impressive for Liverpool when he came on and got his goal. City have a bit of work to do to make things click with Haaland now in the team.

2 hours ago, Jay007 said:

Liverpool start the season with a win in the Community Shield.

City looked disjointed, whereas Liverpool looked sharp already.

Both now have their '9s'. Haaland didn't get off to a great start with a few missed chances, one a real sitter (albeit that one was at the end when the game was pretty much over), but Nunez looked impressive for Liverpool when he came on and got his goal. City have a bit of work to do to make things click with Haaland now in the team.

6ofkz4.jpg

Liverpool had more chances, at one point Nunez was through on goal and he absolutely Trashforded the ball against the goalkeeper. Haaland missed a sitter too, the game was less about their performances and more about City's lackluster midfield play.

That won't last. So the verdict on this one is that it's just noise. We'll know what's what after a few games.

The only thing I could potentially take away from that game is that Alvarez looks a steal.

EDIT: Checking myself. Data does not support my perception that Liverpool had many more chances.

Edited by Alexander
1 hour ago, TheManc said:

Henderson once again looked tiny when conceding a goal. Flapped at a few crosses too.

He’s about as good as Ddg, who is trash, maybe he’s better overall considering his weaknesses don’t seem to exacerbate those in front as much as Ddg does but yeah not looking like the long term answer at all

that said he should still be starting for us 

38 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

He’s about as good as Ddg, who is trash, maybe he’s better overall considering his weaknesses don’t seem to exacerbate those in front as much as Ddg does but yeah not looking like the long term answer at all

Class A’s 

3 hours ago, JJtheRed said:

Class A’s 

Comparison of them since Henderson debuted in the prem with Sheff Utd

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=1&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=e5a76dfe&p1yrfrom=2019-2020&p1yrto=2021-2022&player_id2=7ba6d84e&p2yrfrom=2019-2020&p2yrto=2021-2022&player_id3=7a2e46a8&player_id4=1840e36d&player_id5=3bb7b8b4&player_id6=466fb2c5

Looking at the individualised stats like Post shot XG per 90 mins Henderson is 0.02 better (a wash basically), but he comes out for far more crosses (stopping 8.1% of them compared with de gea's 4.3%) - Dean is overrated, DDG is even more overrated, neither are amazing (DDG was once but a loooooooong time ago - and I was one of his biggest fans) - stylistically Dean is marginally better with the ball at his feet and the defence is less likely to come a cropper to crosses / balls that could be claimed as DDG is far too often glued to his line

In any world even if you think DDG is a notch above Henderson he's not worth 3 times the wages (if not more) and Henderson could still get better and would suit a higher line more than DDG 

Frankly I'd take a 'decent' gk like Cillessen on the cheap over the pair of them but that's another conversation

10 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

Comparison of them since Henderson debuted in the prem with Sheff Utd

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=1&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=e5a76dfe&p1yrfrom=2019-2020&p1yrto=2021-2022&player_id2=7ba6d84e&p2yrfrom=2019-2020&p2yrto=2021-2022&player_id3=7a2e46a8&player_id4=1840e36d&player_id5=3bb7b8b4&player_id6=466fb2c5

Looking at the individualised stats like Post shot XG per 90 mins Henderson is 0.02 better (a wash basically), but he comes out for far more crosses (stopping 8.1% of them compared with de gea's 4.3%) - Dean is overrated, DDG is even more overrated, neither are amazing (DDG was once but a loooooooong time ago - and I was one of his biggest fans) - stylistically Dean is marginally better with the ball at his feet and the defence is less likely to come a cropper to crosses / balls that could be claimed as DDG is far too often glued to his line

In any world even if you think DDG is a notch above Henderson he's not worth 3 times the wages (if not more) and Henderson could still get better and would suit a higher line more than DDG 

Frankly I'd take a 'decent' gk like Cillessen on the cheap over the pair of them but that's another conversation

You know I don’t do stats… 

It’s quite obvious Dave is the better ‘keeper of the two.

Yeah, he might need phasing out but as I’ve said for the past few years; I’m certain Gossip Girl isn’t the answer. 

Beaten at his near post from distance then lobbed from 8yards… probably not the day for this debate 

34 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

You know I don’t do stats… 

It’s quite obvious Dave is the better ‘keeper of the two.

Yeah, he might need phasing out but as I’ve said for the past few years; I’m certain Gossip Girl isn’t the answer. 

Beaten at his near post from distance then lobbed from 8yards… probably not the day for this debate 

Any one off day either way doesn't matter I'm looking at the big picture - and I wish I could just 'not do' stats but over a season there is little to suggest ddg is consistently much if any better these days, I wouldn't blame Dean for either of the goals today but calling him vulnerable near post when comparing with ddg is laughable

I maintain Dean isn't the answer for us either but if the choice was him or DDG it'd be him for me easily, it would be tough if they were on near the same money but they're not... 

But I digress - agree to disagree,  hopefully an improved defence from ETH can coax some improvement out of ddg and con some team in to signing him on a free next year as long as we don't foolishly re-sign him 

6 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

Any one off day either way doesn't matter I'm looking at the big picture - and I wish I could just 'not do' stats but over a season there is little to suggest ddg is consistently much if any better these days, I wouldn't blame Dean for either of the goals today but calling him vulnerable near post when comparing with ddg is laughable

I maintain Dean isn't the answer for us either but if the choice was him or DDG it'd be him for me easily, it would be tough if they were on near the same money but they're not... 

But I digress - agree to disagree,  hopefully an improved defence from ETH can coax some improvement out of ddg and con some team in to signing him on a free next year as long as we don't foolishly re-sign him 

Football is a visual game - as much as they try to make every single facet of the sport about numbers.  

I just don’t rate him, it’s that simple - him showing himself to be a cunt with increasing frequency should be besides the point; but his entitlement vs. his talent shows a huge disparity. 

Ps. Obviously joking about today… but yeah, don’t rate 

17 hours ago, hdcantona said:

DDG > Henderson😜. Now and always. Henderson comes out for more crosses but also flaps at a huge amount which causes its own problems.

I want to move on from both though!