2022/2023 What league position will we finish?

On 19/01/2023 at 22:19, PVAD said:

By Sunday the gap to Arsenal would have been 3 but is looking more like 11 an absolutely huge swing of 8 points

This was on January 19th if we'd won at the Emirates. We've fell over a cliff since then. It was never sustainable.

Liverpool who were a huge 21 points off us at one stage with the same games played are within 7, Villa within 6 albeit both have played 2 more. I'm not saying they're going to challenge for 4th I think 4th is guaranteed and possibly win 2 cups. If that was given to you at the start you'd probably take it.

One thing I've realised is that we are simply not good enough to sustain any type of challenge in the league and that will be the case irrespective of this summer's window. The reason being 7 players at least who legitimately shouldn't be paying for United will still play integral roles for the next couple of years at least. We know they're not good enough but unfortunately this manager rates them or there are no alternatives.

Take that midfield for example where it's a given matches are mainly won and lost in that area. We have 3 players who are in or approaching their 30's and 2 of them Casemiro and Eriksen are basically journeymen. The season isn't over yet and you can see the cracks appearing in both of them and they'll get worse next season. Fernandes is a sunny day merchant.

The fact we have taken 1 ONE point all season away from our Top 5 rivals speaks volumes of just how brittle this United team are. None of that midfield have influenced the major important away games and honestly do you see that improving next season? 

Realistically we need a cull a huge cull but we've been here before and nothing has changed in the league. Ten Hag is a decent manager not a great one and even if we sign an Osimhen or Kane there is no way he will turn us into Premiership Champions with rest of that dross supporting cast and until he forgets about playing favourites.

United are consigned to winning the odd cup here and there until Guardiola leaves and City may possibly drop off similar to when Ferguson left here until then the Premierships is a pipe dream.

Enjoy your pot noodle and a wank.

Edited by PVAD
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st now. ten Hag has to deliver.

Painkillers are strong in this one ūü§£

Somewhere between the TOP 4 and the Bottom 4. I would be more glad to see a lot of decent performances ,some order at the pitch,dressing room ,a lot of efforts of the players and less noise. If t

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

First time since fergie retired we’ve won something and finished top four same season apparently, that seems mental to me but maybe we’ve been even shitter than I thought 

Mourinho sort of gambled it all on beating Ajax in 2017. He rotated a lot during the final few games. Guys like Mitchell, Harrop and McTominay made their debuts. United only took 5 points from 15. That should have been a top 4 finish.

3 hours ago, O said:

Mourinho sort of gambled it all on beating Ajax in 2017. He rotated a lot during the final few games. Guys like Mitchell, Harrop and McTominay made their debuts. United only took 5 points from 15. That should have been a top 4 finish.

Even Fergie commented on that. Not something he would have done.

duacQ9Ki_t.png

3rd, more points than when we finished 2nd with ole and our 2nd highest points tally post fergie (I still think season to season points comparisons are largely stupid within the same league but some of you seem like them) 

side note: LOL at Giggs being named manager in the moyes year

10 hours ago, hdcantona said:

duacQ9Ki_t.png

3rd, more points than when we finished 2nd with ole and our 2nd highest points tally post fergie (I still think season to season points comparisons are largely stupid within the same league but some of you seem like them) 

side note: LOL at Giggs being named manager in the moyes year

There are so many games that could have swung either way. United somehow took 6 points from the last 2 games despite giving up numerous chances in the 1st half of both games. Leicester at home was similar, which wasDe Gea's best game of the season.

United will either drop off by 6-9 points next season or take an extra few points. It's difficult to judge due to how chaotic they still are.

It will be difficult to replicate the home form. But even if that drops off by 2-3 wins, the away form should improve to balance it out.

I think United will finish on 75-80 points next season.

• 2 weeks later...

OX0RNu9.pngWXslD2S.png

Album comparing us with the rest of the top 5 and also spurs

https://imgur.com/a/4hCY1kr

Some interesting comparisons, I also think PPDA is not the best way of measuring pressing since it's a mix of pressing and counterpressing, the latter of which for us has been pretty good, the former not so much

Source of the data btw - it's completely free can compare any 2 players, clubs etc

https://datamb.football/radars/