Summer 2022 Priorities

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought he was the best midfielder we've had since Fergie's time anyway, but the more time passes the better he looks.

Yeah, nice of us to beat Brentford to the signing of Eriksen on a free. That Old Trafford pull. What a club.

No doubt we're at panic stations but the media are having a field day. We must have been linked with close to 50 players in the last 72 hours. Probably worth switching off Twitter and letting the club

13 minutes ago, Alexander said:

If we're going to chuck stupid money at the problem, why aren't we doing it for Declan Rice and Nkunku? They probably won't come, but I'd try at least.

I'd take Depay back on a free before going for Antony.

On a serious note - we should break the bank for Rice next season 

[Fernando Burgos] Manchester United are offering Casemiro a 5 year contract and to double his wage to 10M after tax

We're apparently going to pay a fee of €70m to secure him. Madrid would be mad to refuse that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just take a look at players we've signed at the back end of their careers (over 27) going back to 2010:

• Owen - Done before arrival at 29.
  • RVP - Done in 6 months at 29.
  • Mata - Never seen his Chelsea form. Done in 2 years at 27 lmao. Jesus christ he wasn't even old enough to qualify. He makes the list for declining hilariously early. 
  • Falcao - LOL.
  • Victor Valdes - . Forgot he played here. Done before arrival at 32.
  • Schweinsteiger - Done before arrival at 30.
  • Sergio Romero - Bless.
  • Mkhitaryan - Done in 12 months at 28. 
  • Zlatan - Great but done in 9 months due to cruciate injury at 35.
  • Matic - Done in 6 months at 28.
  • Alexis - Done before arrival at 29.
  • Odion Ighalo - Never had it.
  • Cavani - Decent the 20% of the games he was fit for at 34. 
  • Alex Telles - Done on arrival at 27. Maybe never had it. 
  • Raphael Varane - Never fit at 28
  • Cristiano Ronaldo - Scored goals but is an albatross for the club at 37. 

Impossible to see how this could go wrong.

47 minutes ago, TFIA said:

[Fernando Burgos] Manchester United are offering Casemiro a 5 year contract and to double his wage to 10M after tax

We're apparently going to pay a fee of €70m to secure him. Madrid would be mad to refuse that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just take a look at players we've signed at the back end of their careers (over 27) going back to 2010:

• Mata - Never seen his Chelsea form. Done in 2 years at 27 lmao. Jesus christ he wasn't even old enough to qualify. He makes the list for declining hilariously early. 
  • Falcao - LOL.
  • Sergio Romero - Bless.

Matic arguably had a resurgence but couldn’t be more of a drop in the ocean 🤣

I’m sure Zlatan bagged a few when he came back, too. 

Ps. We’ve been rejected by Pulisic 🙈🤣

48 minutes ago, O said:

There's still a chance that he stays. But it would be difficult to turn down that type of money.

He'd be another ally for Ronaldo.

On paper, we get an elite DM. But I'm always wary with these high profile signings. 

On paper it's as good an upgrade you can buy but you just know he'll come here and lounge it up.

As much shit as McFred have justifiably received they've never played with a consistent DM. I imagine it brings Donny and Eriksen into play as CM's too with less pressure defensively. 

Still think we need another option in there but this is obviously the De Jong budget being put to use. Linked with Dest and we'll probably sign a keeper. 

4 hours ago, TFIA said:

• Falcao - LOL.
  • Sergio Romero - Bless.

It's not our record with signing older players that's the problem, it's our record with signing any player. If you do the list again, you'll be hard-pressed to find decent signings at any age I would think.

I still think you're right though, I can't think of many top teams who are signing older players for fun. You get Casemiro, and give him a huge contract after he's won nearly everything in club football, there's a good chance he'll just give you three months. Just enough to go to the World Cup, and then he'll be inconveniently injured for most of the rest of his time here. 

Sergio Ramos's availability for Paris is one instance. I'm hoping Varane isn't pulling the same trick.

Edited by Alexander

If a player demand's more than 20% more then their current contract, the club should tell them to fuck off, we should not be held hostage by wankers that want a payday more than wanting to play for the club, if this means we're stuck with the current bunch of shit, then so be it.

We should forget this season and buy player's that actually want to play for the club ready for next season... In the Championship at this rate!

Casemiro is pretty much exactly the type of defensive midfielder that United fans have wanted to sign for years now.

But at this stage in his career, this is another expensively bad transfer move from the United board. A player who'll move to this club for all the wrong reasons, like many before him. The fact he's even entertaining a huge drop in level to this United time in this moment, is alarming enough & tells me he'll only be here for the pay package.

I'm not having a go at Casemiro as a player at all. He's actually a brilliant midfielder and would improve is immensely. But this transfer would be further prove that the United board have no transfer strategy whatsoever. They make it up on the go. Embarrassing for a huge club like United.

Stinks of a desperate move by the owners to keep Ronaldo happy too.

56 minutes ago, CB78 said:

we’re likely to over pay whoever we get now - I rate Casemiro but who knows with this clubs transfer track record! 

We think its overpaying because we are used to owners who have reduced our transfer spending below its potential. I'm not saying that's the only issue. They have woefully managed all aspects of the club and recruitment policy should be as strategic as possible but a marquee signing should always be achievable.

Carrasco is the latest link. 

He mainly plays LW. He turns 29 in 2 weeks.

I rate him... but we're thinking very short term with these age profiles.

The majority of our senior players would be 29+

• Heaton - (36)
  • De Gea - (32 soon)
  • Jones (30)
  • Maguire (29)
  • Varane (29)
  • Fred (29)
  • Casemiro (30.5)
  • Eriksen (30.5)
  • Bruno (28)
  • Carrasco (29)
  • Ronaldo (29)

You need to win now with this kind of squad. They're not going to be around in 2-3 years.

38 minutes ago, O said:

Carrasco is the latest link. 

He mainly plays LW. He turns 29 in 2 weeks.

I rate him... but we're thinking very short term with these age profiles.

The majority of our senior players would be 29+

• Heaton - (36)
  • De Gea - (32 soon)
  • Jones (30)
  • Maguire (29)
  • Varane (29)
  • Fred (29)
  • Casemiro (30.5)
  • Eriksen (30.5)
  • Bruno (28)
  • Carrasco (29)
  • Ronaldo (29)

You need to win now with this kind of squad. They're not going to be around in 2-3 years.

I don't think we're trying to win anything. We're desperately trying to hold on to our status as Top 4 hopefuls, with the same strategy that we employed to try to win the league. If we manage it, the cost is that we are kicking the crippling consequences down the road.

Next couple of seasons we'll be moaning about how we can't get rid of the deadwood.  Honestly, what's the point.

At this moment I’m not fussed who or if Utd sign anyone,the media is in overdrive and so are the sources,just field 2 or 3 of the youngsters and try your luck,the main thing is work ethic and attitude on the pitch,with good basic tactics.Just show us what you got ETH..if anyone is slacking in attitude and ethics just bench them.

Manchester United progressing very quickly in signing Casemiro, @TheAthleticUK understands. Initial €60m + further €10m. A four year contract, with option of a fifth year. Huge deal for Erik Ten Hag. [Adam Crafton - Tier 2] few t1s also going with it 

I just hope he's not washed / here not to put a shift in, because otherwise it's theoretically an incredible improvement

Realistically (and this is a big IF) *IF* the club gets off its arse, it could sign Casemiro, Gakpo, Sommer/Begovic and Dest/Meunier in these last few weeks... Depending on flogging Bailly, AWB, maybe Jones

12 hours ago, TFIA said:

• Falcao - LOL.
  • Sergio Romero - Bless.

Add Kagawa from Dortmund . Sancho too. Pogba  Wait ...I missed Mr Maguire -what a quality 😞  .

Pogba also was finished . I do mean his mentality . Di Maria had decent years in PSG

Agree with everything You said. Looks impossible ,but it's a realty about the transfers carried out.

Edited by Pap1918

Casemiro, getting serious Varane/Schweinstieger vibes.

They're all to happy to let him go. He's 30, and we're already shit. I expect him to arrive, have a lot of media behind him and for him to either be injured or just not perform.

But eitherway, no more McFred.

LOL jk. McFred is endless.

10 hours ago, Pap1918 said:

Add Kagawa from Dortmund . Sancho too. Pogba  Wait ...I missed Mr Maguire -what a quality 😞  .

Pogba also was finished . I do mean his mentality . Di Maria had decent years in PSG

Agree with everything You said. Looks impossible ,but it's a realty about the transfers carried out.

Huh? 
Sancho was 21(?) when we signed him 🤣