Summer 2022 Priorities

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you see it spelled it out like that, ten players who have contributed basically nothing this season (maybe half a dozen goals?) leaving and clearing well over a million quid a week off the wage b

Barcelona literally can't register players. They need to come up with €500m in the next few weeks. There's no comparison to the Fabregas situation - They'll be more than willing to negotiate here. 

Despite the fact we need a complete rebuild, we really need to focus on improving the quality of the squad rather than quantity this summer. Get rid of most of the deadwood as you say, bring in 4-5 ad

We need to add quality to the whole spine of the team -  a new CB, DM & CF is needed in the summer, in my opinion. 

Could have an argument for all 3 positions being more important than the other. 

An upgrade on Maguire is needed in defence to partner Varane. 

The defensive midfielder role has been neglected for quite some time now. 

If Cavani & Ronaldo both leave in the summer, with Greenwood likely finished here - we'll desperately need a new striker too. 

Could do with upgrading on pretty much every position if we're being brutally honest here. 

19 hours ago, TheManc said:

If because our club is a joke, we are to only buy 3 players (maybe 4 if one of them has a release clause) , which positions and what do we need the most?

fixed

2 x mids (1 DM, 1 CM) and assuming Ronaldo goes a striker.

Some of the loanees can come back and compete in the depth wide spots (Amad/Pellistri possibly, but we have enough depth there anyway IMO to replace Lingard with Elanga developing, Rashford, Sancho - possibly a Shoretire or something)

Similarly if Maguire goes we play Varane and Lindelof, promote Tuanzebe or Mengi to be third CB - but Cavani and probably Ronaldo will both go and Rashford is not good enough up top so that's a big priority.

Midfield is a disaster but can't feasibly see us getting more than 2, maybe Kessie on a free would be ok and then a proper holding mid type would be nice too like a young matic, I think Laird replaces AWB and Dalot has earned the right (given his age) for it not to be a priority this summer given that Laird will be coming in (he was doing well at Swansea), Telles and Shaw a good duo on the left, can't see us getting rid of DDG any time soon (at least he's looked back as a good shot stopper despite his other flaws) but Henderson will probably go - I don't think the latter is good enough but I'd rather keep him than ddg if I could pick purely due to his contract and relative value (again, we have more pressing needs)

Honestly there's a good chance loads actively *want* to leave and that could be a very good thing, I think we're in dire need of a big turnover of players it's gotten a bit stale - but I've 0 faith in those above whoever the manager is to actually get this shit done - if we had a competent board I'd be super excited for the summer 

It's really difficult to narrow it down since I think we need yet another rebuild, considering the poor attitude, lack of character and lack of real quality we have in the squad, on top of the players who have come to the end of their time (if not past their sell-by date.) We've got players who will definitely be departing, like Cavani, Lingard etc (albeit he's hardly played), and right now it seems that Pogba is more likely to go than not.

We undoubtedly need a midfielder, if not two, because of a lack of quality and what should be upcoming departures. We definitely need a DM of some description and probably a CM as well. Matic should be gone, VDB will probably go even if he does well at Everton, and Fred and McTominay are good players imo, but not great players.

We also need really a striker. Cavani will go and we can't rely on Ronaldo continually, if he even stays. Rashford isn't a '9', Martial can be but we should be letting him go as well because of how unreliable he is.

Considering how big a job we've got to do in the transfer market, I think we should probably follow LVG's philosphy of having a smaller first-team squad backed up by a group of younger players, for next season at least.

I think we definitely need two CMs. Dalot/AWB have been given a reprieve because they need upgrading but I can't see us spending an absolute fortune.

One DM.

One 8 to replace Pogba.

One back up striker I guess? I say I guess because CR7 isn't dropping to the bench. I could see Martial returning and staying as the back up #9 for one more season, in which case we may go for another wide player or a RB. 

A lot will depend on how Pellistri, Garner and Amad factor into things. I'm hopeful at least 2 of them can become decent squad players. 

It would be like United to go out for Kane or Rice but we'd be better off going for more 30-50m range players. We have so many holes.

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

I think we definitely need two CMs. Dalot/AWB have been given a reprieve because they need upgrading but I can't see us spending an absolute fortune.

One DM.

One 8 to replace Pogba.

One back up striker I guess? I say I guess because CR7 isn't dropping to the bench. I could see Martial returning and staying as the back up #9 for one more season, in which case we may go for another wide player or a RB. 

A lot will depend on how Pellistri, Garner and Amad factor into things. I'm hopeful at least 2 of them can become decent squad players. 

It would be like United to go out for Kane or Rice but we'd be better off going for more 30-50m range players. We have so many holes.

Ronaldo will be leaving at the end of the season, hopefully.

2 hours ago, O said:

Ronaldo will be leaving at the end of the season, hopefully.

Yes - but only if we get a suitable replacement?  

Yeah not the perfect signing but don’t really get the Ronaldo bashing?  He’s far from the biggest problem in the current shambles Man UTD  

Had the right decision making signing/tactics wise been made around him he’d be banging the goals in, absolutely 💯 no doubt whatsoever 

11 hours ago, CB78 said:

Yes - but only if we get a suitable replacement?  

Yeah not the perfect signing but don’t really get the Ronaldo bashing?  He’s far from the biggest problem in the current shambles Man UTD  

Had the right decision making signing/tactics wise been made around him he’d be banging the goals in, absolutely 💯 no doubt whatsoever 

Ronaldo had several chances to score against Middlesbrough and didn't take them.

He can't press consistently, his passing is sloppy and he takes up a huge bulk of the wage bill.

He's 37. It was a nostalgic load of bollocks caused by interfering cunts like Rio and Fergie. A fantasy.

He'd have already been sold to La Galaxy had City signed him.

1 hour ago, O said:

Ronaldo had several chances to score against Middlesbrough and didn't take them.

He can't press consistently, his passing is sloppy and he takes up a huge bulk of the wage bill.

He's 37. It was a nostalgic load of bollocks caused by interfering cunts like Rio and Fergie. A fantasy.

He'd have already been sold to La Galaxy had City signed him.

Yeah I get the negatives with Ronaldo, far from perfect - 

But unless proven world class replacements  (which pretty sure this shambles of a club will struggle to get over the line this summer)

then pointing the finger/hounding out one of the top trophy winning/all time top scorers of all time is not the answer (for me) 

Yeah sloppy last few games but his stats were pretty gd 1st half of season.  

Key (until right replacement players identified) is right management & decisions made around him

which UTD have failed miserably on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chelsea have confirmed Rudiger is leaving. Seems an obvious target.

Reputable sources seem to be linking us with Frenkie De Jong, Barcelona need cash, an obvious one for ETH. 

Rudiger

Blind (New Captain)

De Jong

Nkunku

Livaramento

Kamara 

That’s my ideal summer. Culture changer. 

3 hours ago, TFIA said:

Chelsea have confirmed Rudiger is leaving. Seems an obvious target.

Reputable sources seem to be linking us with Frenkie De Jong, Barcelona need cash, an obvious one for ETH. 

Rudiger

Blind (New Captain)

De Jong

Nkunku

Livaramento

Kamara 

That’s my ideal summer. Culture changer. 

Only Saf would know the value of Blind.

1 hour ago, 1Day said:

Only Saf would know the value of Blind.

It's a TFIA original, so you know it's good. 

We have a huge problem with Maguire, the relationship with the fans is irreparable and he's unsuited to Ten Hag's style of play. He completely broke under the pressure of playing with established top players and those same guys aren't going anywhere. We have to fix that - He has to go. It would be a statement that this club holds incompetence accountable and his departure would probably heal up some of the tension in the dressing room. I'd take whatever we can get.

The other issue is that none of the current lot are suited to the captaincy. None have earned it. De Gea is too timid and not long for Ten Hag's regime, Bruno is too petulant, Ronaldo too vain. You generally can't give the captaincy to new signings but Blind has played for United, knows the club and what it's about. The fact that he's coming straight from Ten Hag's team will only make the transition easier. 

It's the fucking move to make. Murtough you cunt this club has suffered for heeding my advice. It is time.