2021/2022: CL MD5 - Villareal v Man Utd

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Genuinely would have preferred we kept Dan James.

Quality from Sancho! 

Glorious

We were really poor for most of the game. Bruno and Rashford lifted us. Like at OT, a combination of De Gea & poor finishing cost Villarreal again. They will be sick not to have taken a single point from both games. Threw it away with that killer ball from Rulli to Capoue. Fred did well tbf. But still. Lindelöf had a very solid game.

Rio has just tweeted...

Get the contract out, put it on the table, let him sign it, let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there -- given what he's done since he's come in -- and let him sign the contract and go, Carrick's at the wheel, man -- he's doing his thing. Man United are back!

43 minutes ago, O said:

We were really poor for most of the game. Bruno and Rashford lifted us. Like at OT, a combination of De Gea & poor finishing cost Villarreal again. They will be sick not to have taken a single point from both games. Threw it away with that killer ball from Rulli to Capoue. Fred did well tbf. But still. Lindelöf had a very solid game.

Poch and zidane would never have lifted us from the rubble and pulled off a 2-0 away win in villareal. Carrick is our messiah!!

12 minutes ago, CB78 said:

Poch / Zidane would’ve had us playing 1 touch, 99% possession, dominating football tonight, would’ve been 5-0 nil guaranteed

All they would’ve needed was 1 hour yesterday with these players - all issues would’ve disappeared - Villarreal away- easy; 🙄

They've won 5 games from 19 this season. And were without their star striker for both games against us. And even their 2nd striker who scored at OT wasn't risked. We made them look like a proper outfit. Their execution let them down. De Gea played his role in that. We need to be doing a lot more than hoping spaces open up in games. We only ever look competent when a game is stretched. If you give us space to counter, that's when we punish teams.

Tbf, this is how we'll play against Chelsea. The difference being that they will punish us if we allow them to dictate the game like we did in the 1st half tonight.

1 minute ago, O said:

They've won 5 games from 19 this season. And were without their star striker for both games against us. And even their 2nd striker who scored at OT wasn't risked. We made them look like a proper outfit. Their execution let them down. De Gea played his role in that. We need to be doing a lot more than hoping spaces open up in games. We only ever look competent when a game is stretched. If you give us space to counter, that's when we punish teams.

Tbf, this is how we'll play against Chelsea. The difference being that they will punish us if we allow them to dictate the game like we did in the 1st half tonight.

Agreed not pretty - but context surely?  

Getting ripped open/shipping goals all season, not 1 clean sheet I think?  Team very low on confidence 

anyone expecting a big bounce/change tonight crazy?  

It was sensible game plan, decent performance given where we’re at- Any incoming top manager with limited amount of time to work with players would’ve played it the exact same IMO 

build confidence from here 

1 hour ago, O said:

Considering this I don't think anyone should go board with idea of winning the CL based on today's results and resent changes of managers,  because Chelsea fluked cl win after changing managers mid season last year. 

25 minutes ago, O said:

It will be interesting too see if Carrick will still be in charge for the Chelsea game and pretty big test whether or not he gets to see out the season or not. 

Edited by Mickey Mouse
18 minutes ago, CB78 said:

Agreed not pretty - but context surely?  

Getting ripped open/shipping goals all season, not 1 clean sheet I think?  Team very low on confidence 

anyone expecting a big bounce/change tonight crazy?  

It was sensible game plan, decent performance given where we’re at- Any incoming top manager with limited amount of time to work with players would’ve played it the exact same IMO 

build confidence from here 

We didn't defend well though? I don't think we looked solid. This same team beat Spurs 3-0 after losing 5-0 at home, so I don't really buy into that. They do have character.

You expect a lift after a manager leaves. We didn't see that at all until around the hour mark. Villarreal aren't in good form and we made them look like a La Liga contender in the 1st half.

This was Carrick's opportunity to show that he isn't as bad as sources revealed about the coaching setup. I expected something different. It's a good win. But you have people like Alex Shaw and Scholes going way OTT. This wasn't different. It's what we've been doing. Winning games through moments.

Just now, O said:

We didn't defend well though? I don't think we looked solid. This same team beat Spurs 3-0 after losing 5-0 at home, so I don't really buy into that. They do have character.

You expect a lift after a manager leaves. We didn't see that at all until around the hour mark. Villarreal aren't in good form and we made them look like a La Liga contender in the 1st half.

This was Carrick's opportunity to show that he isn't as bad as sources revealed about the coaching setup. I expected something different. It's a good win. But you have people like Alex Shaw and Scholes going way OTT. This wasn't different. It's what we've been doing. Winning games through moments.

Agreed no one should be over the top, loads of improvement required, could of lost goals, very nervy start & daft individual errors 

but nerves to be expected given how much this team has been battered & low in confidence 

i thought overall though we did defend bit better, more solid, not as open, more structured, organised.

I thought the subs were good also- changed game when they came on, better squad management & seemed like a proper game plan?  Rather than kick off & see what happens 

I’m not gushing for 1minute but really feel with all that’s gone on, a performance & approach like that was as good as it was going to get (for tonight) regardless who’s manager