• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GOALS  Theres decent strikers who’ve not done that in their domestic leagues…  He’s not human. 

Always have been. The Messi debate has been laughable for 8 years.

I understand the reasoning behind signing him, even if it arguably wasn't a completely sound one.  I understand the PR boost it gave to the board/club and the boost it initially gave to the mood of th

I understand the reasoning behind signing him, even if it arguably wasn't a completely sound one.  I understand the PR boost it gave to the board/club and the boost it initially gave to the mood of the supporters in particular, and obviously he's scored a few crucial goals already and will continue to score goals.  I can't help but wonder, though, what effect his signing has had on us.

I think he may well have completely disrupted the squad/team, and certainly put a few noses out of joint.  The best we've played as a team this season imo, albeit that's a low bar, was in the first 50 minutes of the Everton game when he was on the bench and Cavani was leading the line.  Cavani leads from the front with his work-rate, attitude and movement and that drives on the rest of the team.  Ronaldo doesn't do any of that, he only comes alive in and around the box and only seemingly when he has the ball for shorter periods of time.

We also seem to be in the position where everything revolves, and is expected to revolve, around him. The PR/media attention he gets from within and outwith the club compared to other players might be understandable but it's also unhealthy, and we're expected to build the team around him which puts a heavier workload and more pressure on everyone else.

Maybe a new manager will be able to implement a system/way of playing that makes the best use of him and makes everything work, but whether it's worth it in the long term I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, Jay007 said:

I understand the reasoning behind signing him, even if it arguably wasn't a completely sound one.  I understand the PR boost it gave to the board/club and the boost it initially gave to the mood of the supporters in particular, and obviously he's scored a few crucial goals already and will continue to score goals.  I can't help but wonder, though, what effect his signing has had on us.

I think he may well have completely disrupted the squad/team, and certainly put a few noses out of joint.  The best we've played as a team this season imo, albeit that's a low bar, was in the first 50 minutes of the Everton game when he was on the bench and Cavani was leading the line.  Cavani leads from the front with his work-rate, attitude and movement and that drives on the rest of the team.  Ronaldo doesn't do any of that, he only comes alive in and around the box and only seemingly when he has the ball for shorter periods of time.

We also seem to be in the position where everything revolves, and is expected to revolve, around him. The PR/media attention he gets from within and outwith the club compared to other players might be understandable but it's also unhealthy, and we're expected to build the team around him which puts a heavier workload and more pressure on everyone else.

Maybe a new manager will be able to implement a system/way of playing that makes the best use of him and makes everything work, but whether it's worth it in the long term I'm not sure.

Summed it up pretty well above- I share similar feelings. 

Don't get me wrong, I was buzzing and so happy to hear Ronaldo was coming back to United. Especially after it looking like he was set for City at one point. But after all that excitement and the feeling of nostalgia watching him make his 2nd debut for us, I did wonder how this signing would work out overall and wonder when things don't go well for us, how people might then look at it. 

He's still produced the goods on a few occasions in this short time with us so far, so it's not like the guy doesn't offer much anymore. Even against Liverpool, he scored a brilliant goal that was ruled out for offside(which looked really tight), but still shows he can produce goals out of nowhere. I still feel he'll be a great asset for us this season and hopefully he has the chance to work under a different manager, but there'll always be those question marks over what effects this signing has over the long term on the likes of Greenwood, Sancho & Rashford.