Switch to an attacking 4-3-3?

Can only work if a DM is bought, but it's what I wanted for a long time. 4-2-3-1 is a dead formation.

Doesn't matter to me though, I'm moving to Spain to become a season ticket holder at Villarreal. Between United losing on penalties and Italy emerging triumphant over England, it's given me a new lease of life. Hope even.

I'd be for it but it would be a lot of work for the deepest-lying midfielder, particularly if Pogba was to be one of the other 2 CMs, so we'd need to sign a 'pure' DM for it to work imo.

Whether that's someone with the legs/energy to cover a lot of ground or someone who does it through holding their position and reading the game wouldn't really matter. It would certainly give us much more of an attacking threat though.

Saying that, we could also use the backline a bit like Italy did in some of their games in the Euros if AWB is the right back - let Shaw/Telles go forward and the other 3 shift across a bit to create a back 3 when we're attacking. Obviously we wouldn't have as much of a threat on the right doing that, but it's not one of AWB's strengths anyway.

Edited by Jay007
  • 2 weeks later...

United will have spent just short of £400m on players since Solskjaer was appointed manager on a permanent basis in March 2019.

That eclipses the outlay of Manchester City (£298m), Chelsea (£262m), Tottenham (£255m) Arsenal (£243m) and Liverpool (£119m) in the same period.

Jesus hadn't realised it added to that much just shows no matter what you throw at a club if you haven't got a manger that possesses the technical guile, motivation, can utilise and bring the best out of a squad you're back to square one.

Title has to come home this season no more excuses now Ole.

Don't want to see McFred anywhere near the starting line up ..knowing the coward though he'll stick them in straight away to the likes of Brentford at home...Wouldn't surprise me.

My staring XI is below in whatever formation. Who needs a DM!

Henderson 

Awb/Trippier? Maguire Varane Shaw 

Sancho Pogba Fernandes Diallo 

Cavani Greenwood

That Team would wreck some shit.

Edited by PVAD

New defensive midfielder is a must. Although I'd rather see McFred than Pogba. That team would be suicide @PVAD.

Opening day I want to see:

Henderson

AWB Varane Maguire Shaw

McTominay DM Bruno

Greenwood Cavani Sancho

Hope to see Greenwood impress, he's done very little so far in the preseason which is mildly concerning. He needs to put Rashford under pressure for that position, especially if Sancho links well with Shaw. McTominay is actually better going forward than given credit for, certainly better than the awful Fred. If given licence to push forward he can be a good player. 

Fuck Ole though, I expect the team will underwhelm regardless of what he tries. Pressure is on now to win. No more excuses. 

47 minutes ago, TFIA said:

New defensive midfielder is a must. Although I'd rather see McFred than Pogba. That team would be suicide @PVAD.

Opening day I want to see:

Henderson

AWB Varane Maguire Shaw

McTominay DM Bruno

Greenwood Cavani Sancho

Hope to see Greenwood impress, he's done very little so far in the preseason which is mildly concerning. He needs to put Rashford under pressure for that position, especially if Sancho links well with Shaw. McTominay is actually better going forward than given credit for, certainly better than the awful Fred. If given licence to push forward he can be a good player. 

Fuck Ole though, I expect the team will underwhelm regardless of what he tries. Pressure is on now to win. No more excuses. 

You're still invested. You will be sucking Ole off by May.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

no incoming midfielder- can't see us switching to 4-3-3 will be 4-2-3-1

I think outcomes this season (amongst other things) will largely be dependent on Pogba doing his job properly in a deeper midfield role.  

Trying to be optimistic, hopefully winners/no shit takers like Varane & Ronaldo joining could actually bring out the best in Pogba- he has a stonking season only to join Madrid on free next yr.