2020/2021: EL - Final - Villareal vs Man Utd

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rashford should have been subbed off literally an hour ago. And he's now gonna be given the chance to miss one of our pens. He's playing that bad.

Ole Out.

We are losing because Ole has been out managed, emry has a game plan that has worked thus far. 

Zidane has quit and so has conte.. 

Before thinking about DDG, Pogba or any position in the market we need to rethink about the most important post in the club. But knowing the club we will persist with ole and continue to suffer. 

Just saw that donnarumma is available as a free agent. 

Edited by nirav
2 minutes ago, SimplyGiggs said:

Teams generally raise their performance for cup finals or semi finals and so any quality gap is bridged. That’s where a managers tactical ability comes into play. We’ll never win anything of substance with Solksjaer as manager. Ever.

Indeed. Emery is a good coach who was hard done by at Arsenal.

Just now, John Locke said:

When it reached pens we had already disgraced ourselves and winning in that manner would've just papered over the cracks. We aren't winning anything of note the next couple of years. Ole is just keeping the seat warm for someone else. The question is for how much longer.

He's not, though. They're genuinely backing this man long term! If we spend another £150 odd million this window and there's nothing significant to show for it, then even the most loyal Ole fan will have to start asking questions.

De Gea has conceded the last 36 penalties he's faced

Ole is absolute trash. Shame he's been protected from criticism thanks to his pals at Sky and the fact that we've sleepwalked into second place in the most misleading finish in the league I can remember

4 minutes ago, rezzy said:

Kinda wish Milan had ended us when they had the chance.

Wish we had ended 4th in the group rather than fucking around with this also-ran shitehouse competition in the first place 

4 minutes ago, kevthebad said:

De Gea last fuck up for United, Hendo should have been on for pens. De Gea worst goalie in world for pens, but we already knew that, surely Ole should have. 

Oles failure continues!

Hate say it but, if there was ever player that deserved to cost us this final the maner he did then that player is David De Gea. 

1 minute ago, Albert Quixall said:

What a bloody fiasco. Some great penalties from both sides but my goodness, some of them should have been saved.

Thats what happens when you start the most overrated dross of keeper in the final. 

2 minutes ago, aardvarked said:

Wish we had ended 4th in the group rather than fucking around with this also-ran shitehouse competition in the first place 

UEFA has lot answer for with this 3rd place fiasco that has lasted since 1999-2000. 

Apart from Leeds and Southampton United have never played well for more than 20 minutes or 30 minutes in any game that they have played. 

The number of games that we have conceded the first goal, generally from opponents first attack, has been recurring and any decent manager should be resolving this. Ole doesn't seem to be able to alter anything, and certainly can't tactically change things. 

I hate how United have been since SAF left. I don't even want us to win things but to play more attack minded football more regularly. Leeds United under Bielsa have been great to watch. 100 per cent attack after attack. United just pass from side to side across the back four and are so ponderous and slow in build up play, its mind numbing. ABW can't cross a ball, so goes backwards or passes to midfield instead of putting the ball in the box, Shaw has been better on the left but Trent Alexander Arnold is Beckham like with crosses. 

I really miss the sixties way of playing 2 3 5 with two wingers, a centre forward and an inside right and left.....pure attacking football like it was when I played in school trams. Especially with Law Best Charlton Aston Morgan Kidd up front.

3 minutes ago, kevthebad said:

Apart from Leeds and Southampton United have never played well for more than 20 minutes or 30 minutes in any game that they have played. 

The number of games that we have conceded the first goal, generally from opponents first attack, has been recurring and any decent manager should be resolving this. Ole doesn't seem to be able to alter anything, and certainly can't tactically change things. 

I hate how United have been since SAF left. I don't even want us to win things but to play more attack minded football more regularly. Leeds United under Bielsa have been great to watch. 100 per cent attack after attack. United just pass from side to side across the back four and are so ponderous and slow in build up play, its mind numbing. ABW can't cross a ball, so goes backwards or passes to midfield instead of putting the ball in the box, Shaw has been better on the left but Trent Alexander Arnold is Beckham like with crosses. 

I really miss the sixties way of playing 2 3 5 with two wingers, a centre forward and an inside right and left.....pure attacking football like it was when I played in school teams. Especially with Law Best Charlton Aston Morgan Kidd up front.

I think Ole played the right team. (Maybe not Lindelof), we were all asking for Pogs as a CM2. The issue is how he sets up the tactics within this . He placid, with no intent to attack and goals. We needed to go for the kill and score goals!!  

3 hours ago, JJtheRed said:

Of course it does.... 

What a freak. 

Was I wrong again? Truned out that the fraud costed us the final.

2 hours ago, JJtheRed said:

DDG playing mind games 🤣

he is so meak that their players probably improved in confidence of scoring. 

2 hours ago, kevthebad said:

Bruno has been pretty quiet. Cantona would have scored the winning goal!

Nobody should be comparing King Eric Cantona to him. Fernandes is not fit to lay his boots. 

2 hours ago, robbo777 said:

A child could beat DeGea from the spot

They could have allowed all of the Villareal fans in the stand to take pen against him and he wouldn't save one. 

Edited by Mickey Mouse
7 hours ago, kevthebad said:

Someone like rodgers would be an improvement. At least he can get teams playing in a certain way that can get the best out of players instead of relying on a few flashes of brilliance from individuals. However it seems we have lowered our expectations due to what has happened before solskjaer took over. The appointment of moyes was clearly a mistake and then van gaal was brought in to stabilise the club but not be a long term solution as he was near retirement. Mourinho is served up as the excuse that we have tried to big name manager. Despite what happened during his time which on the face of it doesn't look that bad there is no reason to not pursue the most qualified candidate. 

I think there are enough valid reasons to sack solskjaer already especially off the back of this defeat. This season should've been bridging the gap with city and winning a trophy.

Would love to ask Woodward the question of how come United players are paid 4 times as much as Villareals when they aren't any better, let alone 4 times better and have cost 4 times more in transfers. Still, a man who can sell a player for a million and bring him back two years later for 80 million says it all!

Ed has used obscenely large financial incentives to bring standard players in, bar Fernandes. Thank christ his days are numbered. Mind you, this is his last transfer window in charge so he can spend all summer chasing Kane, only for him to go somewhere else and leave us missing out on Haaland, Grealish, etc.

The wages for average players is ridiculous. Take Phil Jones for example, he is earning over 5 million a season and doesn't even know the shape of a football, its that long since he kicked one. And Bobby Charlton showed how bad his dementia was when he compared Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards. Ones a legend, and the other is a broken table leg end.

Ole has not learnt from SAF, remember the cup final where he replaced the stumbling Scot goalie with Les Sealey so we'd win it. If Ole had had the bottle to replace De Gea with Hendo we would have stood a far greater chance of winning. Hendo has saved four times more pens than De Gea in the past 6 years. And De Gea should be going at the end of the season so why worry about his feelings. Definitely lacks SAFs ruthless determined streak.

And a final point. I said Ole should have played his best 11 against Wolves because regardless of injuries it would hopefully have given them some confidence after Leicester and Liverpool defeats. Remember when we won the treble and played Bayern Munich without Scholes and Keane. Can you imagine us having no Scott or Fred ( or Pogba instead of Fred) No back in midfield whatsoever!

3 hours ago, kevthebad said:

Would love to ask Woodward the question of how come United players are paid 4 times as much as Villareals when they aren't any better, let alone 4 times better and have cost 4 times more in transfers. Still, a man who can sell a player for a million and bring him back two years later for 80 million says it all! Would love to ask him that same question or whom ever replace him.

Ed has used obscenely large financial incentives to bring standard players in, bar Fernandes. Thank christ his days are numbered. Mind you, this is his last transfer window in charge so he can spend all summer chasing Kane, only for him to go somewhere else and leave us missing out on Haaland, Grealish, etc. Another question for Woodward, why do transfers drag out this long. But you don´t often need the most fancy names to win stuff. 

The wages for average players is ridiculous. Take Phil Jones for example, he is earning over 5 million a season and doesn't even know the shape of a football, its that long since he kicked one. And Bobby Charlton showed how bad his dementia was when he compared Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards. Ones a legend, and the other is a broken table leg end. Just the consiquences of sacrificing football on the alter of Big Buisness, the very thing Sir Matt Busby warned about. Who would be appalled by the state of modern football. 

Ole has not learnt from SAF, remember the cup final where he replaced the stumbling Scot goalie with Les Sealey so we'd win it. If Ole had had the bottle to replace De Gea with Hendo we would have stood a far greater chance of winning. Hendo has saved four times more pens than De Gea in the past 6 years. And De Gea should be going at the end of the season so why worry about his feelings. Definitely lacks SAFs ruthless determined streak. Folks nowdays often moans about that we shouldn't romatise football, but I personally find there is noting more romantic with football than a Ruthless manager thats willing to break his own players feelings in order to wins stuff.  I'm not fan of this new age stuff that we should care about players feelings (unless of course they are external to football matters), and specially not if they are not upto the task winning an important game, and Busby was very ruthless with players also. 

And a final point. I said Ole should have played his best 11 against Wolves because regardless of injuries it would hopefully have given them some confidence after Leicester and Liverpool defeats. Remember when we won the treble and played Bayern Munich without Scholes and Keane. Can you imagine us having no Scott or Fred ( or Pogba instead of Fred) No back in midfield whatsoever!  Some will probably blame yesterday's defeat on that postponed Liverpool game but thats just week poor exuses. I'm even willing to bet that Ole would have picked De Gea even if the Liverpool game had been played when he was originally scheldued.

My response in bold 🙂

Edited by Mickey Mouse
20 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Is it right that Bruno elected to go second in the shoot out? If it is, it speaks volumes about Ole's game management.

I'm seeing rumors all over the internet that he elected to go second. Not sure if that has been confirmed but thats another blunder in how the game was approched if truth. Penalties are not the lottery many are making them out to be they are more about mentality and if you win the coin toss and then elect to go second you are giving the other team plenty of confidence boost. More often than not teams that go first win. 

Edited by Mickey Mouse
2 hours ago, Mickey Mouse said:

I'm seeing rumors all over the internet that he elected to go second. Not sure if that has been confirmed but thats another blunder in how the game was approched if truth. Penalties are not the lottery many are making them out to be they are more about mentality and if you win the coin toss and then elect to go second you are giving the other team plenty of confidence boost. More often than not teams that go first win. 

I agree. If it's true and Ole delegated the task to Bruno, it shows ineptitude. But all season we've gone out and played without a discernible system, hoping for moments of skill to win the game. Our away form has been great, and that's because we are set up to counter attack and the home sides don't play a truly defensive game on their own pitch.

While Ole got the team into the final, and second in the league, I do have to question the rational of not replacing Rashford. I am a huge Rashford fan but he was off his game. By the time the sixtieth minute rolled around it should have been self-evident that someone more focused filled his slot. If they had born down on the strikes I don't think it would have ended that way.

I absolutely agree about de Gea. Go in peace, go with God and - sincerely - you will be fondly remembered but it's time to go to MLS.

Not a surprising performance when you consider everything. It was a repeat of so many performances we've seen - relatively comfortable defensively and dominating possession but against a defensive, well organised team, we had no idea how to break them down and nobody in the team with the ability or character to really step up to make the difference.

We could have done with making substitutions early, but with a real lack of depth and players who haven't exactly made the most of it when they've been given a chance I'm not sure it would have made that much of a difference.

Hard to say much else when I don't think we really learned anything new.

• 4 weeks later...