• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hate to be that guy, but this annoncement was always going to happen at some point. Football has  been on this gravy train of pure greed in past 20 years or so. Its kind bemusing how suprised many are

Not unless he's had his head up his own arse for a few months. The Glazers are some of the prime movers behind this. They don't care about the club or the game because they're never here to watch. The

Such an unmitigated shambles from every corner. Makes you really wonder how this group of people became billionaires. But at least we can put a pin in this idea until it rears its head again in a

3 hours ago, JJtheRed said:

Ole talking shit. Absolutely no way it’s news to him! 

Not unless he's had his head up his own arse for a few months. The Glazers are some of the prime movers behind this. They don't care about the club or the game because they're never here to watch. They just want the money. If we break away and joint a super league, I'm done with football. I'm on the edge already but that would do it.

Cant believe people are being so dumb

Champions league changes due to be announced next week that the larger clubs object to.

This is clearly a way of trying to pressure UEFA with the ultimate end game being individual ownership of tv and image rights.

MUTV showing all utd games live for a monthly fee is the real plan.

The big teams feel that they bring in the revenues but don’t get enough back.

Any move that meant teams being banned from domestic leagues would be doomed to failure.

They would also bar players from international football.

Mark my words this league will not happen.

I’m sure most of you saw Gary Neville on Sky earlier, I’ve never seen him as livid as that. 

As others have said, football is over if this goes through. 

I’m fuming to be honest, this has Ed and the Glazers grubby hands all over it, alongside the likes of Kroneke. Well, they can pretty much get fucked as far as I’m concerned. 

Whatever their motivation and intentions, this is an absolutely terrible idea and a disgraceful way to behave.

I understand the points that I've heard some people make that this kind of greed and selfishness are hardly anything new in football, and that a good few other clubs wouldn't object if it included them.  There is also an irony when you consider that some of the organisations and people getting onto their high horse about this are the same people you could argue encouraged or enabled some of this.

However, this goes far beyond anything that's happened before. It's not surprising really, but there's been no consideration given to their own fans, their own leagues/countries, even their own players and managers.  

The game is now global, and it's clear this is what these proposals are looking at.  There are people, like the moneymen,  who underestimate how important geography is to football - local derbies, rivalries between teams from different cities/regions in the same country etc.  A European league will never replicate that, and I think the novelty of playing these 'bigger' games will wear off very quickly, if the novelty is ever there.

1 hour ago, haggler said:

Cant believe people are being so dumb

Champions league changes due to be announced next week that the larger clubs object to.

This is clearly a way of trying to pressure UEFA with the ultimate end game being individual ownership of tv and image rights.

MUTV showing all utd games live for a monthly fee is the real plan.

The big teams feel that they bring in the revenues but don’t get enough back.

Any move that meant teams being banned from domestic leagues would be doomed to failure.

They would also bar players from international football.

Mark my words this league will not happen.

If we were powerless to stop the glazer takeover then i see little that will be done to prevent this. In some ways the football bodies are to blame for not imposing better regulations to control the takeover over clubs. The Premier league and sky benefitted greatly from.this laissez faire arrangement but over the last decade they have slowly been usurped by these super powerful owners. For fans who recall the old days of division one, the fa cup being prestigious and three european competitions this seems an abomination but for the new breed of fans they probably view this more as a similar progression from the football league to premier league back in the day. 

It'll be interesting to see how the football world reacts. Can this evolution be stopped and st the same time the influence of these parasitical owners reduced.

Edited by John Locke

It won't happen they're just pushing for leverage - I'm not gonna lie though, as awful as I think it is, if it happened I am not able to sit on a high horse here and say hand on heart I wouldn't watch it - it's the stuff as a kid you would make happen on Fifa/FM etc and I know I wouldn't be able to resist and I suspect the clubs involved know there are enough people who feel the same to be able to exploit this in a power / money grab

More clubs putting out statements now

Genuinely hope we get fucking relegated

Competition Format

• 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
  • Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
  • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
4 hours ago, hdcantona said:

It won't happen they're just pushing for leverage - I'm not gonna lie though, as awful as I think it is, if it happened I am not able to sit on a high horse here and say hand on heart I wouldn't watch it - it's the stuff as a kid you would make happen on Fifa/FM etc and I know I wouldn't be able to resist and I suspect the clubs involved know there are enough people who feel the same to be able to exploit this in a power / money grab

For now it just sounds like the champions league except it'll be a closed shop and the clubs will be able to generate bigger revenues from it.

Will players of those clubs involved be in favour of it if they can no longer play in international tournaments i wonder? 

3 hours ago, John Locke said:

For now it just sounds like the champions league except it'll be a closed shop and the clubs will be able to generate bigger revenues from it.

Will players of those clubs involved be in favour of it if they can no longer play in international tournaments i wonder? 

Quite a few won’t care. 
£1m/week players will become increasingly commonplace. 

For this to work it needs to bring in money.

I have zero interest in a closed shop arrangement and would cancel all my tv subscriptions in protest. I have sky,bt and premier and amazon. Tv money is king and the huge markets in the far east would not buy into this either. As soon as the tv companies realised it was hitting their revenue streams they would kick up stink.

I do think that the real issue here is individual clubs want to show all their own games on a subscription based channel in a netflix style business model. MUTV could be massive if they had exclusive live coverage of all utd games. This would only work if we continue in domestic leagues though. If you told a fan they could have a season ticket to all utd televised games for say 14.99 a month there would be millions of subscribers worldwide. They would cancel the sky, bt etc subs though. 

It's a disgrace imo Gary was spot on.

I would throw all involved into the bottom teirs of football.

Hand out massive fines.

Ban them from club competitions.

Transfer bans the lot.

I wish there was a way to kick owners out of ownership of clubs to and hand the clubs over to the fans.

We've withdrawn from the ECA and Woodward has stepped down from his UEFA roles. 

Klopp's probably the only manager I could see taking a stand against this, even more so as it gives him a convenient exit after the disaster of a season. Maybe Mourinho as well for the same reasons. Hard to believe any of them have been blindsided by the news though but who knows. 

I don't know if this particular attempt will take off, but we are close to a tipping point where this will come to fruition. It's inevitable. There's too much money in broadcast rights which are levelling out the power away from UEFA and FIFA. Big clubs have long not cared for their fans, but very soon they won't even need their fans. It is a sad time for the game.