Time to stop living off potential.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always was.

He is a lazy, inconsistent piece of shit and he needs to be dropped for a while.  Watching him stroll about the pitch, constantly giving the ball away every game is unbearable.

This guy has no excuses anymore. He got a long-term contract here recently, he's probably going to be played more centrally this season(which is his favoured position) and he's got his #9 shirt back. Now's the time to really step up and repay the faith the manager and the club have shown in him.

It's now or never. The talent & ability is there, but it's his attitude & focus that really needs addressing. Hopefully he's made those changes during the summer, for the season ahead. An encouraging performance and a goal today, would do him the world of good.

We're relying massively on him and Rashford this season to get the goals. But I feel Martial can be the more consistent of goal-scorers between the two.

Unless I somehow just have it out for him now, honestly he dribbled into multiple defenders and made several stupid decisions and covered up a very bad performance with a goal. He kills our football to an extent. You have 9 guys fighting for each other, pressing like hyenas, and Tony’s just having a saunter. 

10 minutes ago, Piazza said:

Unless I somehow just have it out for him now, honestly he dribbled into multiple defenders and made several stupid decisions and covered up a very bad performance with a goal. He kills our football to an extent. You have 9 guys fighting for each other, pressing like hyenas, and Tony’s just having a saunter. 

If only he could run like me.

7 hours ago, Piazza said:

I dunno I think he worked hard yesterday, especially by his usual standards. In fact there was one example where I thought he was going to have to come off injured after he ran in from center forward out to close down Azcipikdhudncbshhdfnndhta at right back with a sliding block, it was amazing to see and something I never thought he'd even think about doing let alone actually do it. He'll never be a Lingard or a Rashford in terms of work rate and pressing but I definitely think there has been an improvement since this pre season and in attitude to doing it imo.

50 minutes ago, Canto said:

I dunno I think he worked hard yesterday, especially by his usual standards. In fact there was one example where I thought he was going to have to come off injured after he ran in from center forward out to close down Azcipikdhudncbshhdfnndhta at right back with a sliding block, it was amazing to see and something I never thought he'd even think about doing let alone actually do it. He'll never be a Lingard or a Rashford in terms of work rate and pressing but I definitely think there has been an improvement since this pre season and in attitude to doing it imo.

Compared to where he was he's come on quite a bit in terms of work rate. I don't think it would be fair to question whether his heart is in it. His slip ball to play Pogba through for the James goal was also superb. 

I think what he could bring us at 9 is important, his goal says it all. Pure poachers finish. 

7 hours ago, Piazza said:

I can see where you're coming from with this.  He does have a languid style to say the least so he'll never look like he's working that hard, but I don't think his overall performance was brilliant yesterday.  Better than last season certainly, but that's not a high bar. 

One of the things that really annoys me about him most, actually, is how hesitant he often is. He seems to always want to slow the game down, taken even more time, take extra touches etc. He needs to make decisions more quickly and speed up his play.  He certainly has the ability to be direct and he should take that chance more often, as he does lose a lot of opportunities because he lets opposition players get settled into their positions.

On the plus side, it was good to see him get a goal in the first game, so hopefully this will give him confidence and drive him on.

1 hour ago, Jay007 said:

I can see where you're coming from with this.  He does have a languid style to say the least so he'll never look like he's working that hard, but I don't think his overall performance was brilliant yesterday.  Better than last season certainly, but that's not a high bar. 

One of the things that really annoys me about him most, actually, is how hesitant he often is. He seems to always want to slow the game down, taken even more time, take extra touches etc. He needs to make decisions more quickly and speed up his play.  He certainly has the ability to be direct and he should take that chance more often, as he does lose a lot of opportunities because he lets opposition players get settled into their positions.

On the plus side, it was good to see him get a goal in the first game, so hopefully this will give him confidence and drive him on.

I understand the languid thing, he reminds me of Berbatov in that sense, but he just seems wholly uninterested.

Your point about hesitation is made all the more salient by that very poor finish he attempted very early on, that Kepa comfortably saved. Most high-level strikers would have buried that, I don’t even mind missing the net but put some fucking pace on it, the defender being near him messed him up way too much. 

I do think as well that he picked it up quite a bit once we went up a couple of goals as @Canto mentioned he did have an impressive tackle at one point. Hopefully he can build off this performance. 

18 minutes ago, Piazza said:

I understand the languid thing, he reminds me of Berbatov in that sense, but he just seems wholly uninterested.

Your point about hesitation is made all the more salient by that very poor finish he attempted very early on, that Kepa comfortably saved. Most high-level strikers would have buried that, I don’t even mind missing the net but put some fucking pace on it, the defender being near him messed him up way too much. 

I do think as well that he picked it up quite a bit once we went up a couple of goals as @Canto mentioned he did have an impressive tackle at one point. Hopefully he can build off this performance. 

To me he epitomises the mental fragility of our squad - looks a world beater when we're a goal or two up but useless when the chips are down too often. Big season for him ahead - hopefully he proves me wrong and breaks out because the potential is enormous

• 2 weeks later...
  • MrSwellman changed the title to Anthony Martial