"The United Way" or "United DNA"

Seems to be a bit of a divide between United fans, as usual, over the promotion on Darren Fletcher to 1st team coach.

You get some who say he's United through and through and knows the United way. Played under Ferguson, bleeds United, etc.

I don't dispute that. I question is he the most qualified person for the position? Considering he's pretty new to coaching and only joined the club to work with the U16s a few weeks ago, I would say no. Old needs a coach with experience who can bring new ideas to the setup. A Queiroz, Meulensteen, etc. Ole is clearly weaker on the coaching side of things compared to a lot of modern coaches. He strikes me a man manager like Ancelotti and Ferguson. A bit old school in that sense.

We already have 3 former players who played under Ferguson in Ole, Phelan and Carrick. And Nicky Butt is involved in the Academy side of things BTS. The Ferguson influence already existed. 

Since Ferguson's retirement, we've had Phil Neville, Giggs, Carrick, Fortune, Carrick, Evra, Ole, Phelan and now Fletcher involved in the coaching setup across various levels.

I personally don't like this crying out for a repeat of the Ferguson era. It's very unlikely to happen again. That was then, this is now. You'll get many United fans who think Ole will emulate Ferguson. There's no doubt that he leans on him for advice from time to time. But I doubt Ole will ever get to that level as a manager.

I want us to become successful. It doesn't have to mimick every single aspect of the glory days. That's just not realistic. If its not the same style as Ferguson, that shouldn't matter. Many United fans hate the idea of possession.

Ferguson has said himself in the past that he'd like to see United run like Bayern who have many ex players in key positions within the hierarchy of the club. And that's absolutely fine if they are qualified to do so. But what people forget is that the likes of van der Sar and other ex players go on to study for positions such as sports director and chief executive. They do degrees to train themselves for these positions. You can't make a Rio Ferdinand a DoF when he has zero experience in that area. Mata is the type who can become a figure BTS after he retires. He's already studying while still playing.

So bringing in ex players is fine. But surely we could have hired a top coach to work with Ole?

2 hours ago, O said:

So bringing in ex players is fine. But surely we could have hired a top coach to work with Ole?

Think about that statement. If you were a top coach, would you want to take orders from Ole?

It's all very well Fergie waxing lyrical about Bayern but there is zero chance the Glazers or Woodward would allow ex-players - even if they could find one qualified - to inhabit the highest echelons of the club like they do in Munich. It will never happen.

Edited by Albert Quixall
2 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Think about that statement. If you were a top coach, would you want to take orders from Ole?

If he gets sacked, you could be next in line for the job... 😉

Doesn't matter though, Ole is the type of jammy bastard who will end up winning the league this season before it all falls apart next season. 

1 minute ago, O said:

If he gets sacked, you could be next in line for the job... 😉

Doesn't matter though, Ole is the type of jammy bastard who will end up winning the league this season before it all falls apart next season. 

Yeh, anything can happen this year. It's freakish but not unwelcome.

Hope Fletcher does well but strikes me as another club yes man type appointment 

I don’t believe Ole is fully making all decisions,  Fergie’s fingerprints all over it, Fletch was a favourite 

would love to know how involved Fergie still is behind the scenes 

A top assistant would no doubt be seen as too big a threat by ole. Unlike ferguson he doesn't have the job stabilty that the latter had when he recruited queiroz nor does he probably command the same authority. On the face of it a good coach to complement solskjaers man management would seem like the ideal ticket but it may lead to a conflict of interests.