The best use of Music in TV/Film

Ennio Morricone's score for Once Upon A Time In The West and Shin'ichirō Ikebe's soundtrack for the 1974 film, The Last Samurai. Almost forgot: Howard Shore's score for the LOTR was pretty evocative too and made up for some of the shortfalls in the film.

Edited by Albert Quixall
On 08/09/2020 at 22:41, Albert Quixall said:

Ennio Morricone's score for Once Upon A Time In The West and Shin'ichirō Ikebe's soundtrack for the 1974 film, The Last Samurai. Almost forgot: Howard Shore's score for the LOTR was pretty evocative too and made up for some of the shortfalls in the film.

Almost all of Morricone's scores. i agree with LOTR too.

James Horner did some good scores: Braveheart, Aliens, House Of Sand And Fog, etc (fuck Titanic)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero (2002) both scored by Tan Dun

House of Flying Daggers and In the Mood for Love both scored by Shigeru Umebayashi

this one:

and this one i love; not only the song but the cartoon is one of the best because of its many interpretations:

Edited by utd4life

David Cronenberg knows how to use music in his movies. in Videodrome at around 54th minute when James Woods is holding a cassette and it breaths, the low pitch sound tells you that you should expect something different from this moment on than what you have watched till now. another example is at the end of A History of Violence when Viggo Mortensen is <spoiler> and the music is in harmony with how the family <spoiler>!

Party Man is a classic. I think Charles Clouser's Saw soundtracks are well used, especially during the endings.

And on a completely different tack - if you're talking cartoons...

John Williams, the master of the epic score. Love the way he builds tension as Ellie is working down the switches to the one controlling the electric fence that Tim is climbing.

Edited by MikeM
12 hours ago, MikeM said:

Some of the older Bond movies have better intros, Shirley Bassey for example.

Shirley Bassey is the ultimate Bond singer but i rate those two songs as a Bond Theme Song above every song by Shirley Bassey. interesting things is when it comes to 007 songs, women are so much better than men. Duran Duran's song was awful.