• 5 months later...

Interesting on MNF that Rob Green says he has the same saving technique as Mignloet as he keeps his hands behind his back before shots arrive, which can leave him slow to react, as is against the standard keeping technique.

Edited by TheManc
3 hours ago, TheManc said:

Interesting on MNF that Rob Green says he has the same saving technique as Mignloet as he keeps his hands behind his back before shots arrive, which can leave him slow to react, as is against the standard keeping technique.

I didn't see this, but one other thing that makes me nervous about him is during free-kicks.

I don't know if there's a reason behind it or it's just poor/inexperienced goalkeeping, but at every free kick he seems to pick his side and stand so close to that post, leaving a huge space at the other side - even when the free-kick is in a central position.

I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper stand so close to a post before.  I think he'll probably end up getting caught out at one point.

Edited by Jay007
1 hour ago, Jay007 said:

I didn't see this, but one other thing that makes me nervous about him is during free-kicks.

I don't know if there's a reason behind it or it's just poor/inexperienced goalkeeping, but at every free kick he seems to pick his side and stand so close to that post, leaving a huge space at the other side - even when the free-kick is in a central position.

I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper stand so close to a post before.  I think he'll probably end up getting caught out at one point.

He's quite cocky I think - I kind of like it but it does mean he has his flaws which may mean he's not suitable long term - but I do think he's at least as good as DDG now overall (if not better) so we should let him have this run and re-assess closer to the summer 

He helps the defence so much better than DDG with his coming off the line and communication. He really enabled Maguire and Lindeloff to push up, as did McTomminay who would drop as a 3rd CB.

There are still question marks over his 'saving' though. Even against City, he parried a few times into dangerous areas which was never capitalised on. DDG has done the same, been less fortunate and been jumped on for being shit a few times.

Atm the spot is his to lose regardless. 

• 1 month later...

Poor today. He didn't really have that much to do, but two rushes of blood to the head racing out to high balls twice (particularly the second, when things were under control) could have cost us, but he got away with them.

Could he also have come out to deal with the corner for the goal? That one might be harsh, but the ball wasn't that far out.

56 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Very shaky! 

14 minutes ago, Jay007 said:

Poor today. He didn't really have that much to do, but two rushes of blood to the head racing out to high balls twice (particularly the second, when things were under control) could have cost us, but he got away with them.

Could he also have come out to deal with the corner for the goal? That one might be harsh, but the ball wasn't that far out.

Agree with both - seemed a bit like ddg after initially being over eager - appreciate he's a young GK and they do make mistakes (much like DDG when coming through) - but a couple more of those between now and summer and we'll be GK shopping  - Hopefully will bounce back next week 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 21:00, TheManc said:

He's seriously overrated because he's English, had a few good games and has had the comparison with an awful DDG. He's a mid table keeper. I was secretly hoping Chelsea would make a big bid for him.

But let's see. Can't be worse than DDG.

Stand by this, said at the start of the season.

He deserves his #1 spot, but he's still not good enough.

He wasn't helped by what was in front of him of course, but he really looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights throughout the game.

He has deserved to start ahead of DDG considering the latter's form, but considering how much he has to prove and DDG's long-standing poor form it could very quickly become a problem area for us.

If DDG does go in the summer, considering the other areas we need to strengthen we should look to sign a more experienced 'solid' goalkeeper who could step in to be our number 1 in the short term at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 21:42, Jay007 said:

He wasn't helped by what was in front of him of course, but he really looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights throughout the game.

He has deserved to start ahead of DDG considering the latter's form, but considering how much he has to prove and DDG's long-standing poor form it could very quickly become a problem area for us.

If DDG does go in the summer, considering the other areas we need to strengthen we should look to sign a more experienced 'solid' goalkeeper who could step in to be our number 1 in the short term at least.

Hard to disagree with your assement considering tonight is final's results even if Henderson may not the long term answer, de gea has done more than enough to be permently drooped. 

• 3 weeks later...