Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2020 at 23:21, KayBee said:

Why have we not got this player already ? 40 mil for Brooks if it’s true who has been on the bench most of the season ?

I feel exactly the same.. In what universe is Sancho a higher priority than this dude?  I'd call RB Leipzig and transfer their asking price in the same day to bring him in. 

Makes us instant contenders for the title next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayot Upamecano looks good- but actually comparing his stats I've seen online- doesn't seem to be a million miles ahead of of current options (Smalling stats are better)

Unless identified a Centre Back that's a definite shoo in starter for 1st team or very reasonably priced young'un we're as well working with current options (I'd even include Smalling coming back in that, decent spell at Roma, fck knows how Lindelof managed to be preferred option ahead of him) 

Spend the cash in other areas- Centre back next window or hopefully Tuanzebe/Mings turn out to be the real deal

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CB78 said:

Dayot Upamecano looks good- but actually comparing his stats I've seen online- doesn't seem to be a million miles ahead of of current options (Smalling stats are better)

Unless identified a Centre Back that's a definite shoo in starter for 1st team or very reasonably priced young'un we're as well working with current options (I'd even include Smalling coming back in that, decent spell at Roma, fck knows how Lindelof managed to be preferred option ahead of him) 

Spend the cash in other areas- Centre back next window or hopefully Tuanzebe/Mings turn out to be the real deal

We can't really put our faith in the fitness of Bailly or Tuanzebe. Their injury records are alarmingly bad. I wanted Axel to succeed as much as anyone, but he missed pretty much an entire season of football.

Smalling is 30 years old. He should be better on paper than most young defenders. He's technically in his prime years. I would have stuck with Smalling over signing Maguire.

But it is what it is. We need to sign a CB who can compliment Slabhead.

de Ligt, Upamecano, Koundé and Militão are probably the standout U23 prospects in football right now. Two of them moved to Juve and Real last summer. The two French ones are attainable. We need to buy Upamecano before Bayern or someone else does.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, O said:

We can't really put our faith in the fitness of Bailly or Tuanzebe. Their injury records are alarmingly bad. I wanted Axel to succeed as much as anyone, but he missed pretty much an entire season of football.

Smalling is 30 years old. He should be better on paper than most young defenders. He's technically in his prime years. I would have stuck with Smalling over signing Maguire.

But it is what it is. We need to sign a CB who can compliment Slabhead.

de Ligt, Upamecano, Koundé and Militão are probably the standout U23 prospects in football right now. Two of them moved to Juve and Real last summer. The two French ones are attainable. We need to buy Upamecano before Bayern or someone else does.

 

 

Agreed;  as long as he’s defo better than what we’ve got-  I don’t know enough about him but if there’s any doubt better spending the cash elsewhere & working with what we have for now

Edited by CB78
Got
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 12/02/2021 at 22:59, O said:

Signed for Bayern.

Ruthless club.

They can sign who they want in the Bundesliga. Must be terrible for rival supporters to be part of a league monopolized by one team. Imagine how strong we would be if we had the same power over all the other clubs in our own league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John Locke said:

They can sign who they want in the Bundesliga. Must be terrible for rival supporters to be part of a league monopolized by one team. Imagine how strong we would be if we had the same power over all the other clubs in our own league. 

We pretty much did the same thing for most of the 90's.

Signed some of the best players in the league uncontested.

Keane, Cole, Yorke, etc.

Keane was meant to sign for Blackburn until we intervened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, O said:

We pretty much did the same thing for most of the 90's.

Signed some of the best players in the league uncontested.

Keane, Cole, Yorke, etc.

Keane was meant to sign for Blackburn until we intervened.

Not to the extent of bayern and their dominance of the german transfer market has pretty much lasted for two decades now. We wanted shearer and gazza. We would never have gotten other players like fowler, mcmanaman, ian wright and not for reasonable prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Locke said:

Not to the extent of bayern and their dominance of the german transfer market has pretty much lasted for two decades now. We wanted shearer and gazza. We would never have gotten other players like fowler, mcmanaman, ian wright and not for reasonable prices.

Because Chelsea & City entered the situation.

No sugar daddy owner has gone for a Bundesliga club, as it's not a glamorous league and falls miles behind the popularity of The Premier League. You can even see that by likes on Twitter and YouTube views. 

Had Chelsea & City not been bankrolled by enormous wealth, we we would have continued the buy all the best domestic talent. We were signing Rio & Rooney just before Chelsea started to win The PL.

Wenger knew he couldn't compete with United financially, so utilized the French market to compete.

The reason why we wouldn't really sign players from the likes of Arsenal & Liverpool is because there is a different culture in English football. Clubs in Italy & Germany sell to their rivals. It's not as tribal. Real & Barcelona don't tend not to do business with each other either, but have no problem selling to Atlético, Sevilla, Valencia, etc.

United would have been a Bayern with Arsenal winning the odd title.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, O said:

The reason why we wouldn't really sign players from the likes of Arsenal & Liverpool is because there is a different culture in English football.

That's why it's not comparable. We were closer to being like bayern in the late 90s early 00s perhaps. The signing rio was a statement. Bayern can take their pick of literally any bundesliga player and often for very modest sums. They have a complete monopoly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Locke said:

That's why it's not comparable. We were closer to being like bayern in the late 90s early 00s perhaps. The signing rio was a statement. Bayern can take their pick of literally any bundesliga player and often for very modest sums. They have a complete monopoly. 

What I'm saying is it's hypocritical to moan about Bayern when we did the same thing for the best part of 10 years.

It's better that we don't have one dominant team in The PL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...