O

Louis van Gaal - Sacked 4 years ago

His recruitment was the biggest disaster. Completely stripped the dressing room of its soul. Imagine if we kept Rafael, RVP, Chicharito, Nani, Fletcher and had Ferdinand as a coach. We'd have been far better for it. I think he'd do a much better job if he had today's squad and he'd have loved pushing Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Hannibal etc as opposed to looking at our youth and finding Lingard, Blackett, Varela and McNair. 

I think in many ways he was the most damaging of our coaches, even if he also had some very positive points. I liked him as a person too.

26 minutes ago, TheManc said:

His recruitment was the biggest disaster. Completely stripped the dressing room of its soul. Imagine if we kept Rafael, RVP, Chicharito, Nani, Fletcher and had Ferdinand as a coach. We'd have been far better for it. I think he'd do a much better job if he had today's squad and he'd have loved pushing Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Hannibal etc as opposed to looking at our youth and finding Lingard, Blackett, Varela and McNair. 

I think in many ways he was the most damaging of our coaches, even if he also had some very positive points. I liked him as a person too.

Rafael was crocked during his first season and hasn't held down a regular spot at Lyon either. Valencia outperformed him at the time. He didn't fulfil his potential after a very good 2012/2013.

van Persie played for him during his 1st season and was basically finished. Returned to being injury prone.

Rio was finished. His time at QPR showed that. He already had Giggs at his side, so need for Rio who likes being in the limelight. Hence his use of social media and his job as pundit. I can't see him coaching.

I think Nani, Fletcher and Welbeck should have been kept. But tbf, Fletcher was only starting to get his condition under control by the time he asked to leave for regular football at West Brom.

LvG is comfortably my favourite post Ferguson manager. Mourinho was the opposite of his philosophy, so the was like going from one extreme to the other.  A terrible lack of vision by the club. Another manager could have built on the good things he did. It would be like City hiring Simeone after Pep leaves. The club wasn't built for Mourinho to take over.

James Wilson was one of the club's biggest disappointments, along with Januzaj. They had the potential to be doing what Rashford and Greenwood are doing. But even Joyce has indicated that they stopped working for it once they made the 1st team.

Andreas, Tuanzebe, TFM, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner and Levitt would have all gotten a chance under LvG.

Garner and Levitt are very possession based players. Carrick and Kroos type styles.

He gave Andreas and TFM around a dozen games each during 2015/2016. 

Some things went against him. Woodward is rumoured to have brought in Falcao. di María's wife has come out this year and basically attacked the city of Manchester, saying she told him anywhere but England before he even moved to the club. So I wouldn't be surprised if the robbery was a made up story, but maybe that actually did happen. Either way, he was destined to fail here because his wife would never settle. Shaw got that horrific injury just when he was starting to find his feet. 

Football is full of what ifs.

LVG era - better know as the Donald Love game time era. Fucking hell, that Dutch cunt loved shite youngsters.

Sold Jonny Evans, for that, I’ll never forgive him. Kept Jones and Smalling - a sackable offence by itself. 

Genuinely set us back years. A terrible period for the club. Waaay worse than Mourinho.

He showed so much promise in his first season, especially towards the end when sorta became unstoppable in that 6 game winning streak. We were pretty fucking good until Leicester demolished us too, ADM turned out to be a dud but he had a brilliant start to United playing as an LCM in a 4-3-3 system.

I do wonder if things would've been drastically better for LVG had Carrick stayed completely fit and played one more season. Both the 6 game win streaks that we had in 14/15 was when Carrick was fit; soon as he was injured we couldn't hold the same intensity and struggled to break down teams. We actually had the potential to finish second in 14/15 when you think about it, but only dropped plenty of points towards the end of the season when we lost to West Brom, Everton and Bournemouth in quick succession.

I wish he had stuck to this plan in 15/16 as well.

My main gripe with LVG was that he was too afraid to take risks, even during the worst period of football in his time here (December 2015). He was too stubborn to experiment and refused to drop certain players even whilst under performing. Rooney being the main example and Memphis a close second.

6 hours ago, MrSwellman said:

LVG era - better know as the Donald Love game time era. Fucking hell, that Dutch cunt loved shite youngsters.

Sold Jonny Evans, for that, I’ll never forgive him. Kept Jones and Smalling - a sackable offence by itself. 

Genuinely set us back years. A terrible period for the club. Waaay worse than Mourinho.

To think that Mourinho had to work in an environment where Woodward was his boss and he had to unfuck the mess left behind by LVG all the while trying to get us back in the champions league.

I'd say 16/17 was the best season for us post Fergie. We won Europa and the Community Shield, played some exciting football but failed to score on many occasions. The final point tally did not really reflect the football that we played on the pitch, it was way better than 17/18 in my opinion.

Edited by Burns92

Dullest football Old Trafford had seen in decades, and as for his interviews, his eyes wondered all over the place, couldn't manage to look at the interviewer or camera, he was plain weird.

49 minutes ago, Deez Nutz said:

Dullest football Old Trafford had seen in decades, and as for his interviews, his eyes wondered all over the place, couldn't manage to look at the interviewer or camera, he was plain weird.

And yet your username is Deez Nuts.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/van-gaal-man-utd-did-not-buy-one-player-i-asked-for-4327703#popup-sso

"Manchester United did not have the qualities to become champions and had an outdated selection with 10 players over 30, five over 35.

"So I told them I was going to rejuvenate and which players should come. I didn't get one of those.

"Then you end up in a different segment and as a coach you have to push your boundaries. You don't expect that at the richest club in the world.

"A turnover of £600 million and can't buy the players you need. You should buy number one and not number seven.

"Of course, the selling club also thinks: 'If you are so rich, you also have to pay the highest amount imaginable for a player'. That was what happened with transfers.

"Then you have to do with the numbers seven or eight on your wish list. For which you actually pay way too much money, on which the coach is judged and convicted."