Sign in to follow this  
TheManc

OT approved for 1500 safe standing places

Recommended Posts

Manchester United will trial 1,500 barrier seats that will allow fans to stand next season, after being given permission by Trafford council.

Standing at top-flight games has been banned since 1994 under the terms of the Taylor report which followed the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 in which 96 Liverpool fans died.

United applied last year to have barrier seating – which has a rail in front for supporters to lean on – and have the green light to follow Wolves, who got permission last spring to trial it.

The 1,500 berths are to be in Old Trafford’s J-stand, in the north-east quadrant of the stadium. If the trial is successful the club will add further safe standing places.

Richard Arnold, United’s managing director, said the move followed feedback from fans and had safety in mind. “Our belief is that the introduction of barrier seats will enhance spectator safety in areas of the stadium where – as with other clubs – we have seen examples of persistent standing,” he said.

He also addressed the timing of the announcement amid coronavirus. “Our overwhelming priority is to keep our people safe from the Covid-19 pandemic. It may seem strange to talk about stadium plans at this time, but football and our fans will return when it is safe, and our preparations for that must continue in the background.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/29/manchester-united-to-install-safe-standing-area-for-1500-fans-barrier-seats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I've never been fussed about standing.

I know a lot of the older fans love/loved getting pissed and singing their hearts out in tandem while standing for 90 minutes, but I do think some of the "modern" fans actually like to take in the game more.

I've been pissed at Ireland games in my youth, and you don't even remember half the game. lol.

It will obviously help with the atmosphere at games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, O said:

Personally, I've never been fussed about standing.

I know a lot of the older fans love/loved getting pissed and singing their hearts out in tandem while standing for 90 minutes, but I do think some of the "modern" fans actually like to take in the game more.

I've been pissed at Ireland games in my youth, and you don't even remember half the game. lol.

It will obviously help with the atmosphere at games. 

I've been sober at Ireland games i don't remember half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, O said:

Personally, I've never been fussed about standing.

I know a lot of the older fans love/loved getting pissed and singing their hearts out in tandem while standing for 90 minutes, but I do think some of the "modern" fans actually like to take in the game more.

I've been pissed at Ireland games in my youth, and you don't even remember half the game. lol.

It will obviously help with the atmosphere at games. 

You don’t have to be pissed to sing though?

I suppose what those people are offering is fandom and that’s fine, they paid for their ticket and can do as they please. But to me, you’re certainly missing out by just sitting there 90 minutes mute but like I said being such a huge worldwide brand - these people can do as they please.

I think support is something different, however. It’s about creating an intimating atmosphere and making noise and offering your “support” to the team. You don’t have to sing, you can clap for positives even - but just sitting there at a football match isn’t really supporting in any other way other than financially. Besides, football for 90 minutes isn’t exactly a riveting watch by and large. It’s low scoring, chances are few and far between and a good chunk of the time there isn’t even a winner. Singing a few songs and having a laugh can pass the lulls in between attacks.

Personally speaking, when I go, I sing. It’s enjoyable and makes you feel more part of the whole occasion and club. A collective, vocal community, who have come out to shout their team on. The experience is better on matchday in the Stretford End for anyone who does go - just because the noise around you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrSwellman said:

You don’t have to be pissed to sing though?

I suppose what those people are offering is fandom and that’s fine, they paid for their ticket and can do as they please. But to me, you’re certainly missing out by just sitting there 90 minutes mute but like I said being such a huge worldwide brand - these people can do as they please.

I think support is something different, however. It’s about creating an intimating atmosphere and making noise and offering your “support” to the team. You don’t have to sing, you can clap for positives even - but just sitting there at a football match isn’t really supporting in any other way other than financially. Besides, football for 90 minutes isn’t exactly a riveting watch by and large. It’s low scoring, chances are few and far between and a good chunk of the time there isn’t even a winner. Singing a few songs and having a laugh can pass the lulls in between attacks.

Personally speaking, when I go, I sing. It’s enjoyable and makes you feel more part of the whole occasion and club. A collective, vocal community, who have come out to shout their team on. The experience is better on matchday in the Stretford End for anyone who does go - just because the noise around you. 

Never been into it. Wouldn't be able to do it without a few pints on board. Not in my personality to be loud without a drink.

Probably why I don't mind BCD games. I'd rather my team be successful on the pitch than be known for having an impressive atmosphere. Like how Ireland got humiliated at Euro 2012 but our fans were highlighted. I'd have it the other way around.

You need to be in a section with more vocal fans in order to not feel like a gimp with just you and your mate singing amongst statues, which happens a lot at Ireland games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are unfortunately a lot of fans who simply don't want to sing now. It's no longer part of the culture. 

We'd be better off if they didn't attend games instead of those who want to sing, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, O said:

Never been into it. Wouldn't be able to do it without a few pints on board. Not in my personality to be loud without a drink.

Probably why I don't mind BCD games. I'd rather my team be successful on the pitch than be known for having an impressive atmosphere. Like how Ireland got humiliated at Euro 2012 but our fans were highlighted. I'd have it the other way around.

You need to be in a section with more vocal fans in order to not feel like a gimp with just you and your mate singing amongst statues, which happens a lot at Ireland games.

 

Atmosphere can and does impact on results though. It makes a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheManc said:

There are unfortunately a lot of fans who simply don't want to sing now. It's no longer part of the culture. 

We'd be better off if they didn't attend games instead of those who want to sing, but it is what it is.

Atmosphere can and does impact on results though. It makes a difference. 

It can. But I do think it's overstated. City have a fairly poor atmosphere and it doesn't affect them. We had a great following in the 80's and couldn't win a title.

The main benefit is on a special European night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Locke said:

I do think atmosphere is sorely lacking in modern english football. The loss of terraces and the gentrification of the sport has sucked the life out of it.

Also less crowd control problems, deaths and hooliganism in stadiums.

They had to do something.

The players earning fortunes and being separated from the average fan socially has had a bigger effect. They used to be able to relate to fans more. And could interact with them more off the pitch. They are celebrities now. Too good to mingle with peasants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, O said:

Also less crowd control problems, deaths and hooliganism in stadiums.

They had to do something.

The players earning fortunes and being separated from the average fan socially has had a bigger effect. They used to be able to relate to fans more. And could interact with them more off the pitch. They are celebrities now. Too good to mingle with peasants.

Does La Liga have much of this? Their atmospheres are brilliant compared to ours. 

We probably have the worst atmospheres of any of the major 10 countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Does La Liga have much of this? Their atmospheres are brilliant compared to ours. 

We probably have the worst atmospheres of any of the major 10 countries. 

Seville Derby is intense. Atlético fans are scummy. I've heard bad things between Barcelona and Real fans.

Italy and Spain don't fill most of the stadiums tbh.

Germany do it best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, O said:

It can. But I do think it's overstated. City have a fairly poor atmosphere and it doesn't affect them. We had a great following in the 80's and couldn't win a title.

The main benefit is on a special European night.

Except it does affect them - particularly on big European nights which they covet most. I’d argue, you probably won’t win a CL without a decent home following. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MrSwellman said:

Except it does affect them - particularly on big European nights which they covet most. I’d argue, you probably won’t win a CL without a decent home following. 

Which I stated?

The main benefit is on a big occasion like a CL semi final or a cup final in general.

But the performance of your fans can't influence footballers as much as commentators and pundits like to point out.

Every player is different. Some will crumble under the added pressure, others will be inspired. The really good sides rock up to the biggest stadiums and play like it's not an away game. Completely kill the atmosphere right away by starting strong.

Liverpool are the one team that most teams seem to shit the bed against in Europe at Anfield. And Celtic too.

 

Edited by O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt at the time our crap atmosphere against PSG really hindered us in the first leg. Probably the worst I've ever heard OT for a huge CL night. PSG fans were amazing too.

What was it like against Barcelona? I was in a pub watching that so couldn't tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MrSwellman said:

You don’t have to be pissed to sing though?

I suppose what those people are offering is fandom and that’s fine, they paid for their ticket and can do as they please. But to me, you’re certainly missing out by just sitting there 90 minutes mute but like I said being such a huge worldwide brand - these people can do as they please.

I think support is something different, however. It’s about creating an intimating atmosphere and making noise and offering your “support” to the team. You don’t have to sing, you can clap for positives even - but just sitting there at a football match isn’t really supporting in any other way other than financially. Besides, football for 90 minutes isn’t exactly a riveting watch by and large. It’s low scoring, chances are few and far between and a good chunk of the time there isn’t even a winner. Singing a few songs and having a laugh can pass the lulls in between attacks.

Personally speaking, when I go, I sing. It’s enjoyable and makes you feel more part of the whole occasion and club. A collective, vocal community, who have come out to shout their team on. The experience is better on matchday in the Stretford End for anyone who does go - just because the noise around you. 

totally agree. Don’t get why you wouldn’t support and do anything you can to help your team win? Like you say it’s up to them. This is why OT has a shite atmosphere. I’m in stretty and that’s even shite now. Much prefer aways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Haymark said:

totally agree. Don’t get why you wouldn’t support and do anything you can to help your team win? Like you say it’s up to them. This is why OT has a shite atmosphere. I’m in stretty and that’s even shite now. Much prefer aways. 

Seen a few match goers say that putting the new wheelchair section in has hurt he stretty, do you agree? If nothing else it lost a few thousand seats IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Seen a few match goers say that putting the new wheelchair section in has hurt he stretty, do you agree? If nothing else it lost a few thousand seats IIRC.

Yeah, screw those guys. They could at least stand up and sing a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheManc said:

Seen a few match goers say that putting the new wheelchair section in has hurt he stretty, do you agree? If nothing else it lost a few thousand seats IIRC.

I thought the majority of wheelchair access/renovation of facilities were in the East stand. I’m in Tier 2 so have not really seen/heard the impact of tier 1. The main problem are “fans” sitting on their hands. I saw one couple in front of me sitting down the whole match, they couldn’t see a thing as no one sits. Didn’t care about the match, just something to tick Off to say they have been to OT. Sadly this is becoming more and more common. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this