Sign in to follow this  
Canto

Man City banned from Champions League for 2 years

Absolutely huge news. FFP actually doing something too. Will be intresting to see how this affects them and the club going forward

Some talk that 5th place will now get champions league football too.

Edited by Canto

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

I assume they will appeal and half it? 

The biggest winners from this are Liverpool. Nobody will touch them this or next season. 20-8 incoming.

OR with no CL distraction, City May mount a better title challenge? 

This had been my point when City fans tried to claim that they were generating their transfer funds from shirt sales. Gate receipts. TV revenue streams.     It was all total shite.   According to the Financial Fair Play rules basically you can only spend what you bring in.    Every cunt and his dog knows there was absolutely no way they were generating anything like what they were spending.

The “leaked” emails and documents appeared to show that City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi ruling family, was mostly funding the huge, £67.5m annual sponsorship of the City shirt, stadium and academy by his country’s airline, Etihad. One of the leaked emails suggested that only £8m of that sponsorship in 2015-16 was funded directly by Etihad and the rest was coming from Mansour’s own company vehicle for the ownership of City, the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Realistically, they will lose a few key players if this ban is upheld.

De Bruyne is 29 next season, so he will need to move on if he has ambitions of winning The CL.

Sterling is young enough to stick around and ride it out, and I think Agüero has always been very happy at City. 

So we're maybe looking at Ederson, KDB and Laporte wanting to leave.

2 hours ago, O said:

Realistically, they will lose a few key players if this ban is upheld.

De Bruyne is 29 next season, so he will need to move on if he has ambitions of winning The CL.

Sterling is young enough to stick around and ride it out, and I think Agüero has always been very happy at City. 

So we're maybe looking at Ederson, KDB and Laporte wanting to leave.

Bernardo Silva is a class act ,but as per some articles he wants Benfica.

De Bruyne to Real Madrid or Barcelona I guess. La Porte to PSG.. 

2 minutes ago, Pap1918 said:

Bernardo Silva is a class act ,but as per some articles he wants Benfica.

De Bruyne to Real Madrid or Barcelona I guess. La Porte to PSG.. 

He was talking about when he's near retirement. He's not going to return to Portugal in his prime.

Genuinely surprised at how sympathetic the British press have been. Sunday supplement and in general everytime I hear it discussed there is no criticism, no remarks about it being cheating or fraud just discussing the punishment and how city players will react if it remains the same punishment. 

That concerns me, the press should be all over it and should be applying pressure on PL to come to same verdict but it's almost as if thats not what is wanted... Gerrard who could have opened with criticism is restraint with "interesting". Nobody who would criticise is being invited to. 

Smells like it will get brushed under the carpet. 

None of the players will be allowed to leave to PL clubs so it doesn't matter where they end up if they do leave. 

2 hours ago, THE BASTARD said:

What gets me is they have clearly broken the rules layed down. Yet they could actually go on and win the Champions league.  With players they clearly couldnt afford. So how does that work?

well this is not quite true, they have complied with FFP since 2016, this damage/cheating was done 2010-2015 but the nucleus of the squad was built then, making them more appealing for prospective signings. 

but the truth of the matter is ,who set up FFP ?  was it the top clubs ? is it unfair to sparsely supported clubs like cidy, as they will never attract the top players, or is it to stop debacles like leeds in the early ninetys

Edited by dodgy dave

4 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

well this is not quite true, they have complied with FFP since 2016, this damage/cheating was done 2010-2015 but the nucleus of the squad was built then, making them more appealing for prospective signings. 

but the truth of the matter is ,who set up FFP ?  was it the top clubs ? is it unfair to sparsely supported clubs like cidy, as they will never attract the top players, or is it to stop debacles like leeds in the early ninetys

I'm not convinced that is the case.  Their unjust spending went even more wacko after fraudiola got there