O

Do you trust Ole to fix the remaining issues?

5 minutes ago, butler said:

They ain't got City the ucl as yet.. 

Once they get one they'll get more. As things stand, in 25 years time City will be considered the biggest club in the PL. Nobody else has their ambition + resources. Only way that changes is if someone else comes up and can fight fire with fire or City sell to a clueless owner. 

It's sad, but it's the reality. Maybe Leeds can challenge when this rumoured Qatar/PSG owner link ends up buying them. 

Edited by TheManc

Just now, TheManc said:

Once they get one they'll get more. As things stand, in 20 years time City will be considered the biggest club in the PL. Nobody else has their ambition + resources. Only way that changes is if someone else comes up and can fight fire with fire or City sell to a clueless owner. 

Didn’t happen for Chelsea. Just the one.

If Pep can’t win The CL with them, who can?

3 minutes ago, O said:

Didn’t happen for Chelsea. Just the one.

If Pep can’t win The CL with them, who can?

Chelsea's owner stopped pumping in the money and an even bigger sugar daddy came up to blow even them out of the water. He also had to compete with the final decade of SAF. It's not like Chelsea were huge CL flops either. Look how far they came in 05, 07, 08 and 09.

City have had major decisions go against them in the CL the last two years. It will happen with Pep or without him, especially with how well they are run (putting us, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal to shame). It's not like they need to become Real Madrid to surpass our CL total either.

Edited by TheManc

4 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Chelsea's owner stopped pumping in the money and an even bigger sugar daddy came up to blow even them out of the water. He also had to compete with the final decade of SAF. It's not like Chelsea were huge CL flops either. Look how far they came in 05, 07, 08 and 09.

City have had major decisions go against them in the CL the last two years. It will happen with Pep or without him, especially with how well they are run (putting us, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal to shame). It's not like they need to become Real Madrid to surpass our CL total either.

I think Chelsea and especially City have failed massively at CL level. 

Terrible return.

5 minutes ago, O said:

Terrible return.

If Chelsea have, then we were under SAF. 1 more CL in twice the time frame. I think City are better run, even more ambitious and don't possess the self destruct button that Chelsea did either. 

I agree City have flopped so far but it will change in the near future. 

Edited by TheManc

Mate United won with Fergie and not because they had money to burn or if they did they did not burn it on players.. Arabs will give you big players.. But cannot gaurateee you trophies or passion.. United is built on passion.. and only passion will get us back to the top.. Let the others have fun for a while.. United had it for 26 years.. If United wanted the Arabs then they would have been here instead of Moyes.. That was the correct time for them.. Now does not see right.. I'd prefer as We are and progress in all areas slowly but surely.. But not too slowly.. Get this signing in now and challenge Chelsea for 4th.. over summer get another 2 or 3 right type of signings and put a good challenge for the epl and other cups.. We lack depth and a bit of quality nothing major.. 

32 minutes ago, TheManc said:

If Chelsea have, then we were under SAF. 1 more CL in twice the time frame. I think City are better run, even more ambitious and don't possess the self destruct button that Chelsea did either. 

I agree City have flopped so far but it will change in the near future. 

I wouldn't argue against that we failed in Europe under Ferguson.

You have to win The CL during your players' peak. We did in 1999 and 2008.

Chelsea milked the last of the Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba generation in 2012.

City, if they don't win it this season, couldn't capitalise on the Kompany, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Yaya, Silva, KDB and Agüero generation. And 3 of them have already left or retired.

I don't see City getting better than the last 2 seasons. We've already seen a decline. And Silva is gone after this season. Fernandinho will be 35. Agüero another year older. This could be their last chance.

If City are ambitious, they need to spend big again next summer. A new CB to partner Laporte (will he recover?), a LB (still not settled on one) and another winger/wide forward.

24 minutes ago, O said:

I wouldn't argue against that we failed in Europe under Ferguson.

You have to win The CL during your players' peak. We did in 1999 and 2008.

Chelsea milked the last of the Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba generation in 2012.

City, if they don't win it this season, couldn't capitalise on the Kompany, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Yaya, Silva, KDB and Agüero generation. And 3 of them have already left or retired.

I don't see City getting better than the last 2 seasons. We've already seen a decline. And Silva is gone after this season. Fernandinho will be 35. Agüero another year older. This could be their last chance.

If City are ambitious, they need to spend big again next summer. A new CB to partner Laporte (will he recover?), a LB (still not settled on one) and another winger/wide forward.

They will spend big again. That's exactly why they will be successful in the CL eventually. They are far more relentless than Chelsea were, far better run and have far more dodgy deals to get in line with FFP. They buy a LB for 60M and if he flops, they'll just replace him with another. That's never going to change. Fully expecting a 200M spree in the Summer on the defence + Silva/Sane replacements. You won't be seeing them go on a United or Chelsea level decline under this regime.

2 hours ago, TheManc said:

I don't want the Arabs, but I'd prefer them over the Glazers.

I'd prefer the North Koreans to the Glazers.

1 hour ago, O said:

Terrible return.

United too. We may have three titles but we have underachieved in Europe.

Edited by Albert Quixall

4 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

99.99 % of the fans will disagree with me ,but if Fergie's United had posibility to compete in Europe in old formats of the tournamets ,the United would collect 5 times the results Liverpool had used to achieve. CL should be only for real champions . 

32 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

A massive missed opportunity was the year Porto knocked us out at OT.   Granted Scholesy had a perfectly good goal ruled out that night for offside.    The linesman ended up with a 3 month ban but it didnt do us any favours.

Porto went on to bum Monaco in the final.      Absolute fuckin heart breaker.

9 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

A massive missed opportunity was the year Porto knocked us out at OT.   Granted Scholesy had a perfectly good goal ruled out that night for offside.    The linesman ended up with a 3 month ban but it didnt do us any favours.

Porto went on to bum Monaco in the final.      Absolute fuckin heart breaker.

We've had a few. 97, 02, 04 and 10. I think 09 if we played better tactics too.

Solskjaer on Rashford: "I didn't want to play him. He got a knock to his knee and his back. He has been struggling for a little while. That's why we kept him away. But we needed the win. It backfired. We will do anything we can to get him fit for Sunday." #mufc

This is just bad management tbh. Again. 3rd time it's happened this season, almost a 4th with Maguire recently.

2 hours ago, Ross said:

But for that bastard of a Barca team Fergie would likely have won 4 CLs

3. But tbf 2011 we were nowhere near the 2nd best team in Europe. Couldn't buy an away win in the PL and lucky for us had a free pass to the final in Marseille, Chelsea in crisis and Schalke. 2009 is the only one we can use as being 2nd best to Barca. 

Ole's at the wheel 🎡 clearing out the old guard and deadwood. 😉 😉 

Just Pogba under his own volition, Lingard, Matic, Rojo and Jones to be shown the door and the clamour for cull will diminish. 

Will be interesting if Smalldini and Alexis are not wanted by their loan clubs in the summer. Bailly, Shaw and Lindelof will never make it as this club. Little Juan you'd have to treat like a puppy and give him a snide sedative to finish him off...and De Gea like Marmite these days.

What are we left with... A very very thin squad.

Could be a Phoenix rising from the Flames this club in summer with some big signings or a capitulation.

It's debatable under Solskjaer's leadership though.

On 15/01/2020 at 19:05, Pap1918 said:

99.99 % of the fans will disagree with me ,but if Fergie's United had posibility to compete in Europe in old formats of the tournamets ,the United would collect 5 times the results Liverpool had used to achieve. CL should be only for real champions . 

UEFA fucked up big time when they abolished Cup Winners Cup.

There is no wonder that peoples like the Roman and Arabs have arrived since then. CL is an almost closed shop for the big leagues now. Some people argue that football has never been more competitive than now. In reality, it has never been more unbalanced on the whole.

Not completely sure he can fix all the issues but definitely going in the right direction with respect to leaking goals.

This is quite amazing considering...

United have the second-best record in Europe when it comes to clean sheets.

Across all competitions, the Red Devils have 19 clean sheets, more than Liverpool, Sevilla and Real Madrid (17).

Only PSG, who are unsurprisingly dominating Ligue 1 again, have more with 23.

Edited by PVAD

since winter break we played 7 games with Chelsea, Everton and City being the most important ones. we conceded 2 goals against Everton and Brugge but we scored 17 goals (2.4 per game). it's obvious our defense has improved but Bruno's impact has been more noticeable. our defense were playing together since the start of the season and we had 3 additions in AWB, Maguire and Williams. it was obvious from the beginning it will take time for them to gel together specially with injuries to Shaw and outgoing players like Smalling and Rojo. but Bruno came just before the Wolves game and it took him 2 weeks break and training with the squad to fit right in. i always say imagine if we had Bruno at the start of the season. 

i think we are begging to see some things coming to fruition. we wanted some players out and that hasn't finished yet. Lingard, Andreas and Jones should leave in the summer. it's time to sell De Gea too. we have one young and very good GK and one experienced GK (if Romero stays) that can do the job. let's see if it's going to happen in the summer. we all know Ole will be here come next season.

Beginning to turn things around. Some shite opposition during this 11 game unbeaten run, but we look more confident and are playing better as a team recently. Watford and City were big wins.

Bruno and Ighalo have really lifted the squad.

It's either a shame that the season is possibly going to end early, or possibly a blessing for Ole.

If it ended with a win against Spurs, he leaves a positive image and can then focus on transfer targets for next season.

Edited by O