O

Europa League: Matchday 5 - FC Astana vs Man Utd

Very lucky win for them, but we could've been 3-0 up if Greenwood had played in Gomes in the first half & Chong hadn't missed an absolute sitter. We just don't seem able to kill off teams no matter who is in the team, who we're playing & what formation we're using. Not much we can do about their keeper pulling off great saves, but the easy chances we need to take.

Levitt and Laird did well, Bernard was unfortunate to give away the own goal he was playing okay before that. Unfortunately the other debutants weren't given too much time because even in a glorified friendly like this, Ole just can't help but hold back on making earlier subs. Taylor not getting a run out has pissed me off too.

Great experience for the young lads, playing away in Europe in difficult conditions. Just a pity that Chong missed that sitter, scores that and we win the game comfortably in the end imo.

Levitt looked very good I thought very promising debut, looked to break the lines with his passing and didn't look out of place at all and played his normal game, worked well with Garner like they do in the u23s but stepped up well together. Same for Laird too a promising debut.

6 minutes ago, MrSwellman said:

Last time, we’ll ever see some of those names. Been a blast lads, enjoy the scrapheap.

Also be the first time we've seen some future first team players.

It's weird how some United fans look to shit on young players the whole time. Would you have rather we played a full strenght team and have a few of them risk an injury?

It will be interesting to see what team we play vs Az now. If we believe the EL is our only chance for the top 4 then it should be a strong team tbh. I don't fancy finishing second and then potentially drawing one of BVB/Inter/Napoli/Ajax/Valencia etc etc. 

29 minutes ago, TheManc said:

It will be interesting to see what team we play vs Az now. If we believe the EL is our only chance for the top 4 then it should be a strong team tbh. I don't fancy finishing second and then potentially drawing one of BVB/Inter/Napoli/Ajax/Valencia etc etc. 

I imagine we'll play more senior players but the youngsters will still play and probably the youngsters who played well tonight will get a chance to play/be on the bench, Gomes Chong Garner Axel Levitt Greenwood Laird will all probably feature along with the likes of Mata and Young/Williams depending on who starts the league game before or will after.

We'll have to face those teams at some stage anyway and if we're afraid of playing them we have no business winning it tbh. Dortmund are a shambles at the moment, Napoli will qualify for the cl as will Inter i'd imagine Ajax will too. Az are losing at the moment anyway so will only need a point as it stands to top the group.

1 hour ago, Canto said:

Also be the first time we've seen some future first team players.

It's weird how some United fans look to shit on young players the whole time. Would you have rather we played a full strenght team and have a few of them risk an injury?

Like Blackett, Love, McNair etc etc etc? Like those guys?

It’s not shitting on anyone, it’s being bloody realistic. If you want to live in the land of delusion be my guest. Don’t expect us to listen to that utter rubbish.

And also, nothing I said above said we should have played a full strength team.

We’re in a competition where our games are played at 3.50 on a Thursday. In Borat country. Where a goalie called “Eric” we couldn’t beat more than once.

Forgive me for nothing being moronic and thinking it’s the next coming of the Fergie fledglings or the Busby babes especially considering this group of players couldn’t even beat fucking Astana. Crap. 

5 minutes ago, rezzy said:

In fairness, Luke Shaw was as bad as any of the kids. 😂

Another fine example of the rubbish we have at our disposal. If we had any sense we’d trade him for a goat while we’re there. The goat would have some monetary value. We’d have to fatten the poor goat for the same amount of meat though unfortunately which is an added expense.

Just now, MrSwellman said:

Like Blackett, Love, McNair etc etc etc? Like those guys?

It’s not shitting on anyone, it’s being bloody realistic. If you want to live in the land of delusion be my guest. Don’t expect us to listen to that utter rubbish.

And also, nothing I said above said we should have played a full strength team.

We’re in a competition where our games are played at 3.50 on a Thursday. In Borat country. Where a goalie called “Eric” we couldn’t beat more than once.

Forgive me for nothing being moronic and thinking it’s the next coming of the Fergie fledglings or the Busby babes especially considering this group of players couldn’t even beat fucking Astana. Crap. 

I'm not deluded the majority of young players won't make it, that's the same at any club but there is enough young players out there that have a decent shot at making it at United too. Laird Gomes Levitt Greenwood Garner Axel and even Chong (I personally don't think he will at this stage but who knows what a couple good loan spells might do) and that doesn't include Williams who was left at home with the first team. That's a good percentage to have out of one batch of youngsters tbh, will they all make it no, most likely not but i'm not going to shit on them after one game.

No but you would probably have moaned regardless of what team he put out.

What should we have done? Forefit the competition? Give up the best chance we have of getting into the champions league because you don't rate it as a competition? We're shit and we're excatly where we deserve to be right now. The arrogance that we're above this competition and the whole playing against insert country here farmers sums it up. We've also lost plenty of games like today under Ferguson fwiw. 

Where did anyone claim they were the class of 92 reincarnated? People can't be excited by talented players getting a chance because some of the other youngsters won't make it? Great logic imagine we couldn't enjoy the class of 92 if they were breaking through now because poor ol' John O'Kane and Ben Thornley wouldn't make it. Now that's moronic

The first team absolutely tore this lot apart at home aswell. Amazing. It was a nothing game results wise imagine that a team full of teenagers didn't beat a mens team away from home in European competition they must all be shite. Get a grip

1 hour ago, nirav said:

Chong was bad. Do not think he will have a future here.

Chong has been a big dissappointment and don't see much scope for improvement.

I also hoped for more from gomes but at times there are flashes that suggest he might one day become a decent player.  

Laird payed pretty well. Levitt looked pretty assured as well. 

Garner still seems to be finding his feet in first team level but he's a long way to go yet.

Hand on heart theres probably only greenwood who looks nailed on to have a future here. With regards to the rest its either the usual dross or there is a question mark over how theyll turn out. 

21 minutes ago, Canto said:

I'm not deluded the majority of young players won't make it, that's the same at any club but there is enough young players out there that have a decent shot at making it at United too. Laird Gomes Levitt Greenwood Garner Axel and even Chong (I personally don't think he will at this stage but who knows what a couple good loan spells might do) and that doesn't include Williams who was left at home with the first team. That's a good percentage to have out of one batch of youngsters tbh, will they all make it no, most likely not but i'm not going to shit on them after one game.

No but you would probably have moaned regardless of what team he put out.

What should we have done? Forefit the competition? Give up the best chance we have of getting into the champions league because you don't rate it as a competition? We're shit and we're excatly where we deserve to be right now. The arrogance that we're above this competition and the whole playing against insert country here farmers sums it up. We've also lost plenty of games like today under Ferguson fwiw. 

Where did anyone claim they were the class of 92 reincarnated? People can't be excited by talented players getting a chance because some of the other youngsters won't make it? Great logic imagine we couldn't enjoy the class of 92 if they were breaking through now because poor ol' John O'Kane and Ben Thornley wouldn't make it. Now that's moronic

The first team absolutely tore this lot apart at home aswell. Amazing. It was a nothing game results wise imagine that a team full of teenagers didn't beat a mens team away from home in European competition they must all be shite. Get a grip

Of your first paragraph, if three of those make it in the first team as regulars it would be close to a miracle. Why? Well, look at the top two teams at the moment. How many youth team players have emerged for City or Liverpool to reach such levels? Two at Liverpool and zero at City unless you won’t to generously include Foden. It’s not the way to success anymore.

Why? Because when we were bringing through youth players in our pomp we had youth systems and scouting structures levels ahead of almost everyone in the world and most certainly England. Now, most clubs are at our level with others a million miles ahead. We can’t rely on unearthing youth anymore because we don’t have the very best. Chelsea, City etc can just stockpile, loan out and go from there. It’s wasted energy. 

The route to success at the moment is buying players at relatively low prices, improving them and selling them at peak. Not what you’re hoping for, close your eyes, stick your head in the sand, and try and pretend these guys are going to take us back where we need to be. Or that we should all be delighted and excited to see these guys. They’ll save us. They ain’t. Forgive me for not wanting to waste my time waiting for someone to develop who I can clearly see already isn’t, and never will be, good enough.

I don’t really moan about teams. I think this is the first time in months I’ve commented pregame. It was a pointless exercise tonight and we should be embarrassed by the result. Good point there though.

A team with real ambition probably would. It’s dirt. If we failed in the league be it on these players’ heads. It’s a joke where we are at present. Outright embarrassing when you consider what we’ve spent and what we spend on youth development. We are above this competition as a club. Only an idiot would think otherwise. We took the piss out of the Scousers for years. We should be ashamed to be playing in fucking Kazakstan at lunch time. Christ above. But, but, Gardner and Chong played. Great fucking success my bollix.

You can be excited by genuine young talent. Rashford, Greenwood, fucking hell even Williams. Not this shite. It’s embarrassing because you look like a complete dickhead (like bulk of our retarded fan base) for building up these guys before they inevitably fail....and they will. Ben Thornley and John O’Kane are 5 times the youngsters these guys were ffs. Stop spouting rubbish.

A team of well played youngsters, afforded access to the best facilities in the world, with supposedly unbelievable coaching, S&C, dieticians, chefs. Not some U-18s that have rambled in from the Sunday league football. There are no excuses. You’re either good enough or your not and this bunch, despite the rubbish you’re spouting, aren’t.

Ole is a Glazer stooge. He sold his soul for the job and is feeding droolers lines about young players and their development and progression. If you want to buy that be my guest. Thank god for the talent coming through, we’re absolutely saved and we should be oh so happy that all these lads got gametime tonight.

Be some laugh now when Liverpool’s youngsters dump Villa out of the cup. Really rub it in.

19 minutes ago, Canto said:

The first team absolutely tore this lot apart at home aswell. 

Cunto's been on the crack pipe again!!

Theyre fuckin painters and decorators and Bin men for fucks sake.

We beat them 1-0 at home.  Read that again......1 fuckin 0!

Probably every other team in the Prem would have  butt holed them without lube for 7 or 8.