John Locke

What was the first important football match in your lifetime?

Recommended Posts

1963 Cup Final, but if we're counting days just after birth, it would be October 1st, 1955, two days after I was born. we beat Luton at home 3-1. My dad had the programme. My mum was still in the maternity hospital at the time.

Edited by Albert Quixall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first huge game I remember clearly was the European Cup semifinal 2nd leg, away to Real Madrid in 1968..we'd won the 1st leg 1-0..we came back from 3-0 down in Madrid to draw 3-3..watching the highlighlights late at night (late for 11 year-old on a schoolnight) and not knowing the result...it was my first lesson in football's emotional rollercoaster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pearson77 said:

The first huge game I remember clearly was the European Cup semifinal 2nd leg, away to Real Madrid in 1968..we'd won the 1st leg 1-0..we came back from 3-0 down in Madrid to draw 3-3..watching the highlighlights late at night (late for 11 year-old on a schoolnight) and not knowing the result...it was my first lesson in football's emotional rollercoaster!

My dad called my mum from work, told her to come and wake me up and tell me the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deez Nutz said:

1979 F.A. Cup Final, it was the game that made me a United fan.....god i feel old.

How old were you then?

I think the turning point for me was my first old Trafford experience in 88. My family weren't really football fans but i went to that game with my father a neighbour and his son and my allegiance seemed to grow from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pearson77 said:

The first huge game I remember clearly was the European Cup semifinal 2nd leg, away to Real Madrid in 1968..we'd won the 1st leg 1-0..we came back from 3-0 down in Madrid to draw 3-3..watching the highlighlights late at night (late for 11 year-old on a schoolnight) and not knowing the result...it was my first lesson in football's emotional rollercoaster!

I was at the first leg game with my dad and granddad. I remember Best's goal and, afterwards, them muttering that it wouldn't be enough. How wrong they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

although we did have tv but the first tournament broadcasted live on any channel in Iran and Arab countries (gold countries) around was the 90 WC. the first game i watched was Cameroon vs Argentina. i loved watching Maradona in highlights and news but it was the first time i watched him play live and it was a bad game for Argentina! for me it was the tournament of disappointments with Holland losing to Germany and the final and Diego's tears! but the first best game for me was the semi final between Italy and Argentina. i was jumping when Diego scored but Serena didn't.

As for United it was 93-94 PL away game at Sheffield Wednesday which we won 2-3. again it was the first time Pl was being televised here and i could watch that game because i both my parents were sleep and i turned the volume down so they won't wake up or else it was back to homework for me. watching Cantona play was just amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Piazza said:

I was born in July of ‘91 so probably a tie between every top flight English game of the first week of the 91/92 season as it was the final season before the Premier League era. 

I believe notts county was our first game that season and Schlmeichel had just joined us and we had won the cup winners cup only a few months before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a bit of nostalgia for you.   And don't let any bin dippin twats ever tell you that YNWA has always been their song.

It was always Celtic's song.  Then United fans adopted it in the early 70's due to the Celtic players that United bought.

Some of our younger fans probably find it hard to believe but yes,  we sang it at all our games in those days.

As is evident in the 13 minute of this video.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NAFRBY5fHk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2019 at 17:01, John Locke said:

How old were you then?

I think the turning point for me was my first old Trafford experience in 88. My family weren't really football fans but i went to that game with my father a neighbour and his son and my allegiance seemed to grow from there.

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1979 Cup Final Vs Arsenal.

On 08/09/2019 at 14:40, Deez Nutz said:

1979 F.A. Cup Final, it was the game that made me a United fan.....god i feel old.

That one for me too.

I remember learning some pretty colourful langauage that day as my Dad and Uncle unloaded their frustrations! The first memory of really feeling it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plenty of games for bad reasons

real biggie was losing to Southampton in 76

Football was on bbc radio 2 or sportsnight if you were lucky back then and I was living in Northampton and too young to go to games in manchester on my own.

Started supporting in the season we got relegated and the only utd news you saw the next year was when the red army caused shit in some backwater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haggler said:

plenty of games for bad reasons

real biggie was losing to Southampton in 76

Football was on bbc radio 2 or sportsnight if you were lucky back then and I was living in Northampton and too young to go to games in manchester on my own.

Started supporting in the season we got relegated and the only utd news you saw the next year was when the red army caused shit in some backwater. 

That Cup Final loss vs Southampton was hard to take..took me all summer to get over that. Luckily (I suppose) I spent the summer at Larkhill on a course (military stuff) so at least I was busy.

Edited by pearson77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now