Jump to content

La Liga Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

17th August 2019 - 24th May 2020 Current champions: Barcelona Barcelona Barcelona have dominated the competition this decade, winning 7 out of a possible 10 titles. They've also dominat

Luis Enrique, who stepped down from the Spanish National team manager position, has said today that his 9 year old daughter Xana has died after suffering from cancer. Absolutely terrible news. 9

So, here comes my review of the weekend.  Let's start with Friday night. The greatest team in the planet played against Barcelona at home, and beat them 1-0. Barcelona were really plain, and even

Messi might go a few seasons without a big trophy for once. They're in trouble but as always with Barca and Madrid, things are overblown. 2nd in the league and it becomes an absolute disaster. 

They may be fucked by their own standards but it won't be a true collapse like ours. A few seasons finishing 2nd, 1/4 final CL finishes etc. Meh.

They will find some money from somewhere and make a couple of good purchases before getting back to near the top. 

 

Edited by TheManc
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheManc said:

Messi might go a few seasons without a big trophy for once. They're in trouble but as always with Barca and Madrid, things are overblown. 2nd in the league and it becomes an absolute disaster. 

They may be fucked by their own standards but it won't be a true collapse like ours. A few seasons finishing 2nd, 1/4 final CL finishes etc. Meh.

They will find some money from somewhere and make a couple of good purchases before getting back to near the top. 

 

Suárez (33)

Griezmann (29)-----------------------------Messi (33)

Pjanić (30)--------Vidal (33)

Busquets (32)

Alba (31) Lenglet (25) Piqué (33) Sergio Roberto (28)

ter Stegen (28)

Incredibly old. Not sustainable. Rakitić is 32. 

Fati, Puig, ter Stegen, Lenglet and de Jong are good young players. Healthy ages for a rebuild.

Busquets being dropped for de Jong would be a start. Coutinho might return to the fold. These will be some dark times for them after close to 20 years of unprecedented success.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, O said:

Suárez (33)

Griezmann (29)-----------------------------Messi (33)

Pjanić (30)--------Vidal (33)

Busquets (32)

Alba (31) Lenglet (25) Piqué (33) Sergio Roberto (28)

ter Stegen (28)

Incredibly old. Not sustainable. Rakitić is 32. 

Fati, Puig, ter Stegen, Lenglet and de Jong are good young players. Healthy ages for a rebuild.

Busquets being dropped for de Jong would be a start. Coutinho might return to the fold. These will be some dark times for them after close to 20 years of unprecedented success.

 

 

How do you define dark times? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheManc said:

 

How do you define dark times? 

I think it will be like the pre Rijkaard days for awhile. 4th, 4th and 6th before they finished 2nd in 2003/2004.

Similar problems back then i.e. buying expensive players and not getting value out of them. 

Luckily for them, they don't have strong teams like Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna who could take advantage of their demise.

Real should be winning the league, Atlético coming 2nd, and Barcelona fighting it out with Sevilla and Valencia for 3rd place. From after next season.

But Valencia are also terribly run. They are rumoured to be hiring Valverde, so he might stabilise them and deliver regular top 4 finishes.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, O said:

I think it will be like the pre Rijkaard days for awhile. 4th, 4th and 6th before they finished 2nd in 2003/2004.

Similar problems back then i.e. buying expensive players and not getting value out of them. 

Luckily for them, they don't have strong teams like Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna who could take advantage of their demise.

Real should be winning the league, Atlético coming 2nd, and Barcelona fighting it out with Sevilla and Valencia for 3rd place. From after next season.

But Valencia are also terribly run. They are rumoured to be hiring Valverde, so he might stabilise them and deliver regular top 4 finishes.

 

 

They are 2nd in the league, only 3 points behind Madrid and we're talking about them barely qualifying for the CL for a few years? Some are even saying they will go on a United-esque drop.  Next season they will have a better coach, the players will be more motivated and I assume they will sort out the issue of Griezman. La Liga is basically a league that helps keep the status quo for the big 2. 

Everything is always exaggerated with them. 12 months ago everyone was saying Madrid would be in major trouble due to Modric, Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo being over 30, James being out of form and unwanted and Courtois a flop. Here we are now and they're about to be champions of Spain. If Barca played 18 of the 20 PL teams over two legs they'll probably smash the lot of them. In a few months they'll beat Napoli and then qualify for the 1/4 final so it's hardly a disaster.

It's still a very good Barcelona team. They may not win La Liga this season or even next and may go a few more years without the CL but they'll be contenders at least.

As much as I dislike Barcelona and Madrid these days, I admire the brutality and standards. 2nd place is a disaster, La Liga with an average CL performance is a problem etc. It's why their status is what it is.

Edited by TheManc
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, O said:

Suárez (33)

Griezmann (29)-----------------------------Messi (33)

Pjanić (30)--------Vidal (33)

Busquets (32)

Alba (31) Lenglet (25) Piqué (33) Sergio Roberto (28)

ter Stegen (28)

Incredibly old. Not sustainable. Rakitić is 32. 

Fati, Puig, ter Stegen, Lenglet and de Jong are good young players. Healthy ages for a rebuild.

Busquets being dropped for de Jong would be a start. Coutinho might return to the fold. These will be some dark times for them after close to 20 years of unprecedented success.

 

Griezmann and Coutinho have been absolutely humiliated at Barcelona. You ca’t play as a second striker or #10 at FC Messi. The little dictator’s ego has destroyed that club.

I called that this would happen to Griezmann. He should have joined us when he had the chance. Coutinho wasn’t suited to Barcelona at the best of times. Was always overrated but he looks like Darron Gibson with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheManc said:

They are 2nd in the league, only 3 points behind Madrid and we're talking about them barely qualifying for the CL for a few years? Some are even saying they will go on a United-esque drop.  Next season they will have a better coach, the players will be more motivated and I assume they will sort out the issue of Griezman. La Liga is basically a league that helps keep the status quo for the big 2. 

Everything is always exaggerated with them. 12 months ago everyone was saying Madrid would be in major trouble due to Modric, Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo being over 30, James being out of form and unwanted and Courtois a flop. Here we are now and they're about to be champions of Spain. If Barca played 18 of the 20 PL teams over two legs they'll probably smash the lot of them. In a few months they'll beat Napoli and then qualify for the 1/4 final so it's hardly a disaster.

It's still a very good Barcelona team. They may not win La Liga this season or even next and may go a few more years without the CL but they'll be contenders at least.

As much as I dislike Barcelona and Madrid these days, I admire the brutality and standards. 2nd place is a disaster, La Liga with an average CL performance is a problem etc. It's why their status is what it is.

Real Madrid are the the opposite. Stockpiled dozens of youngsters for the future. Ridiculous amount of talent. Why can't you see that?

Griezmann can't coexist with Messi. Coutinho also operates in the same spaces. That's why they both flopped there. Coutinho was good at first. Now he can't get starts at Bayern.

As I said, from after next season. How do you see them replacing that many players and still being successful? Messi can't go on forever. When he goes, it will be like losing Ferguson for us. They won't contend for The CL after this season. Not for awhile. They have wasted hundreds of millions on transfers and the boardroom is also a mess, with directors in disagreement with each other and some resigning. Their finances and wage structure aren't healthy. It really is a mess.

No elite team bar Juventus has such an old squad. And Juventus still have de Ligt, Bentancur, Arthur, Dybala, Demiral, Pellegrini, Kulusveski and Bernadeschi to transition with. So they are in a better shape to rebuild.

It will be similar to United's 2003-2006. But at least we had Rooney and Ronaldo. They have to prey that Fati fulfills his potential.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, O said:

Real Madrid are the the opposite. Stockpiled dozens of youngsters for the future. Ridiculous amount of talent. Why can't you see that?

Griezmann can't coexist with Messi. Coutinho also operates in the same spaces. That's why they both flopped there. Coutinho was good at first. Now he can't get starts at Bayern.

As I said, from after next season. How do you see them replacing that many players and still being successful? Messi can't go on forever. When he goes, it will be like losing Ferguson for us. They won't contend for The CL after this season. Not for awhile. They have wasted hundreds of millions on transfers and the boardroom is also a mess, with directors in disagreement with each other and some resigning. Their finances and wage structure aren't healthy. It really is a mess.

No elite team bar Juventus has such an old squad. And Juventus still have de Ligt, Bentancur, Arthur, Dybala, Demiral, Pellegrini, Kulusveski and Bernadeschi to transition with. So they are in a better shape to rebuild.

It will be similar to United's 2003-2006. But at least we had Rooney and Ronaldo. They have to prey that Fati fulfills his potential.

 

 

I can see it, but you're assuming nothing will be fixed over the next season. Every player there now will likely be better next season with a new coach/motivation and I think they will sort out their Griezman/Dembele/Coutinho situation. They do have ways to recoup money and fact is everyone wants to play for them because of who they are. I think they'll be better than our 04-06 phase because I don't see them dropping below Atletico or being KO'd in the CL group stage. They're literally 3 points behind Madrid right now.

Importantly, they have now realised just how much they have fucked up before Messi falls away. That's the key difference with them and us with SAF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheManc said:

I can see it, but you're assuming nothing will be fixed over the next season. Every player there now will likely be better next season with a new coach/motivation and I think they will sort out their Griezman/Dembele/Coutinho situation. They do have ways to recoup money and fact is everyone wants to play for them because of who they are. I think they'll be better than our 04-06 phase because I don't see them dropping below Atletico or being KO'd in the CL group stage. They're literally 3 points behind Madrid right now.

Importantly, they have now realised just how much they have fucked up before Messi falls away. That's the key difference with them and us with SAF. 

What coach? No elite ones available.

Messi, Suárez, Piqué and Busquets run the team.

La Liga isn't good at the top that season. Real would be champions by now in the past.

But they haven't realised it? With every new contract renewal, Messi's salary prevents them from investing in other areas. They're acting like Messi can score 45 goals a season forever.

Real are now the most attractive club for any youngster. Their 3peat will be in the mind of any post 2000 born player. To sum up how badly Barcelona are run, Kubo (on loan at Mallorca from Real) was once a La Masia player and they let him slip away due to corruption. He'll probably go on to become a superstar at Real in 2 years. And he's a marketing dream.

The directors can't even agree on what direction to take the club.

The one good thing recently has been Puig finally getting games. He might become what Thiago was supposed to. He's another example of the bad decisions made there. He should have been Xavi's long term successor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, O said:

What coach? No elite ones available.

Messi, Suárez, Piqué and Busquets run the team.

La Liga isn't good at the top that season. Real would be champions by now in the past.

But they haven't realised it? With every new contract renewal, Messi's salary prevents them from investing in other areas. They're acting like Messi can score 45 goals a season forever.

Real are now the most attractive club for any youngster. Their 3peat will be in the mind of any post 2000 born player. To sum up how badly Barcelona are run, Kubo (on loan at Mallorca from Real) was once a La Masia player and they let him slip away due to corruption. He'll probably go on to become a superstar at Real in 2 years. And he's a marketing dream.

The directors can't even agree on what direction to take the club.

The one good thing recently has been Puig finally getting games. He might become what Thiago was supposed to. He's another example of the bad decisions made there. He should have been Xavi's long term successor.

The barca presidents election is up soon right? they've definitely realised it. This is a reality check for them now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Valencia deleting their club:

Valencia has communicated to several players that they will not be in their plans for next season, among them: Parejo, Rodrigo, Coquelin, Kondogbia, Mangala, Diakhaby, Gameiro, Cillessen, Rubén Sobrino and Correia

 

May get decent odds on them getting relegated in 2021. Jesus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • aardvarked changed the title to La Liga Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online


×
×
  • Create New...