La Liga Thread

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

17th August 2019 - 24th May 2020 Current champions: Barcelona Barcelona Barcelona have dominated the competition this decade, winning 7 out of a possible 10 titles. They've also dominat

Luis Enrique, who stepped down from the Spanish National team manager position, has said today that his 9 year old daughter Xana has died after suffering from cancer. Absolutely terrible news. 9

So, here comes my review of the weekend.  Let's start with Friday night. The greatest team in the planet played against Barcelona at home, and beat them 1-0. Barcelona were really plain, and even

So, here comes my review of the weekend. 

Let's start with Friday night. The greatest team in the planet played against Barcelona at home, and beat them 1-0. Barcelona were really plain, and even boring at times, they missed Messi big time, and even though they were quite solid defensively, they struggled to create anything in the first half. They improved a bit in the second one, when Athletic dropped a bit physically, but still they didn't create much and when they did it was by individual brilliance more than team football. In the end, Athletic edged it with a superb goal by Aduriz, who is going to retire at the end of the season.

Real Madrid started the matchday on Saturday at Vigo. They played an awful match, where Celta completely controlled it from start to finish and Real Madrid still managed to win it 1-3. With 0-1, Celta had a goal disallowed and missed endless sitters to make it 1-1, and they ended up paying it. World class hit by Kroos and 0-2, match over. 

Valencia was tremendously unlucky at home vs Real in a weird match, where Rodrigo was the biggest name, as he played for Valencia after the transfer to Atletico being confirmed by the player, the clubs and everything and falling through in the last second. A penalty in the 101st minute ended up equalizing it for Real Sociedad.

I didn't watch these next two, but both newcomers to the league, Osasuna and Mallorca won, and apparently Mallorca played a very decent match for what I've heard. Osasuna are a team that is known for being tough at home, but got a very nice win away at Leganes, against a team that doesn't lose match with rivals of their size. Mallorca beat Eibar, who are always a difficult match to play. The third newcomer, Granada, didn't win but drew 4-4 against Villarreal away from home in a pretty crazy match.

Sunday started with Alaves hosting Levante, I watched the first 60 minutes or so and it was a pretty tactical match with Levante being the superior team for me, but Alaves ended up edging it, like they do many times at home. Levante have some really interesting players, specially from midfield onwards, and Alaves under Garitano are going to follow with what they did last year under Abelardo, be a tough, serious, solid and defensive side that is tough to defeat. They might still lose both their starting CBs in Laguardia and Maripan, so that might change it all for them.

Sevilla visited Espanyol, in a 0-2 win against a club that looks like it's going to be competitive under David Gallego. Espanyol gave them a good fight and actually had a couple chances to be in front in the first half, but an extremely weird goal made it 0-1 for Sevilla who then played on the front foot the rest of the match. They didn't have anywhere near their best lineup available, Sevilla, there are a lot of new faces in the squad and I really am curious to see how they are going to look in a couple months time. I liked Reguilon a lot yesterday.

Watched Betis vs Valladolid as well yesterday, at least until the Atletico match kicked off. A very early red card for the Betis keeper clearly changed the match. They were down to 10 men before the 10th minute and Valladolid tried to play the ball with patience etc. The last 20-25 mins of the half, Betis managed to control the game and even have the best chances, but they couldn't score, and the match was too long for them in the end after being for 80 plus minutes running with 10 men. The second Valladolid goal is a thing of beauty with an endless posession, moving a tired team that's down to ten men from side to side, and the finish is really good as well. I'm again curious to see Betis this year, I think the addition of panda Iglesias late will help them a lot, and Fekir is a monster as well. But they have been very bad in preseason and people already have a lot of doubts over the new manager and there's pressure building up, plus they visit the Camp Nou next week...

Last but not least we had Atletico vs Getafe (the last one of the 4 matches I watched back to back yesterday, yes, the hangover was pretty serious). Atletico were pretty good in the first 25 mins, until they managed to score the first goal (an absolutely beautiful cross by Trippier and a nice header by Morata). Joao Felix was anonimous for the first half, every touch he had he was taken down by the dirtiest team in the league. The ref was awful, neither one of the red cards was right. Getafe started to push after they saw themselves down and Atletico didn't do much for the rest of the 90 mins. Actually, Getafe had a couple chances to tie it and Atletico ended up suffering way too much. Joao Felix had that moment of brilliance, but that was when the game was open and Getafe were more exposed. Until then and while Getafe kept Damian etc on the pitch, he didn't really do much. I really really liked Trippier who fits in a Simeone team down to a T. Lemar was very active as well in the first half, and Morata looks to be really thin and fast too. Getafe are going to be a problem this year again, they are just so fucking dirty, and tough to beat it's unreal, and every single one of the signings they make work perfectly for them.

All in all, a pretty interesting weekend to start. I think Real Madrid will flop big time again this year, and I think it will be between Atletico and Barcelona, and I actually see Atletico with a really nice chance to win it this year. In fact, I've had 100€ on them winning it this year with a friend. I see a good fight for 4th, between Valencia, Sevilla, hopefully Athletic as well. It will be interesting to see what Valencia do if Rodrigo does indeed leave the club, because they don't have much time and he is such a key player for them they would miss him huge time. I think Betis, Real Sociedad and Getafe will be good again, good and competitive, each in their style but all interesting. Betis have quality from last year, plus they've added Fekir and Borja Iglesias, and Pedraza as well, and they will win matches without Europe I think. As for Real, one of the most exciting teams I think to watch, with Odegaard, Oyarzabal and Januzaj they have a line of three no.10s that's going to be so fun to watch, plus Alexander Isak who looked very good in preseason up top, and a lot of young names too. And the manager is Imanol Aguacil, former youth team manager, and he liks to play nice football so they're going to be good to watch.

I'll talk later about the rest of the teams, because I'm tired of typing already ahahha.

4 hours ago, Juanderful said:

For those that didn't see it:

Could you IMAGINE the state of the country if Pogba did this ?

Oh man yeah, they’d definitely kill Pogba for this cause he’s black. Meanwhile Griezmann will not be vilified for this at all unless the English press figures out he’s paying homage to a black man in LeBron James. 

9 hours ago, Juanderful said:

For those that didn't see it:

Could you IMAGINE the state of the country if Pogba did this ?

5 hours ago, Piazza said:

Oh man yeah, they’d definitely kill Pogba for this cause he’s black. Meanwhile Griezmann will not be vilified for this at all unless the English press figures out he’s paying homage to a black man in LeBron James. 

Some fucking confidence, the guy asked a friend to stay in a side of the pitch where they attacked before the match started. Scored the 1-1, and didn't even go to celebrate because he knew he'd score another one and because you don't celebrate 1-1s in the Camp Nou with that kit. 

Also, Pogba has to score for that to happen. So maybe in 2020.

Luis Enrique, who stepped down from the Spanish National team manager position, has said today that his 9 year old daughter Xana has died after suffering from cancer.

Absolutely terrible news. 9 years old. Noone should ever go through that. Even less at that stage. Cannot even start to fathom how Luis Enrique and his wife and the whole family have to be feeling.

RIP and all the best to the family in these tough times. He's always been a strong man, so he'll pull through. He'll never recover, but hopefully he'll manage to carry on.

If he ever manages the national team again, I will for once root for the national team to win whatever they compete at. 

Vamos Lucho!

• aardvarked changed the title to La Liga Thread