O

Pre-season 2019/2020: Man Utd vs Leeds

I thought Pereira played well too in the second half.

Garner looked ok but only had 15 mins to impress. Was surprised not to see Tuanzebe get a run out.

Martial was so-so and so was Dalot.

Lingard was piss poor. Looked like a man under pressure after the performances of James, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

1 hour ago, aardvarked said:

This only applies to players aged 23 or above

Fair enough. He has a year left and would be tapped up any time in theory anyway.

51 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

Lingard can get fucked.

I will be so annoyed if he and even Mata (unfortunately) are given starting positions over Gomes or Greenwood if the latter two continue to outshine them in pre season.

Youngsters were impressive. Comparative to their senior counterparts, they proved they were just as worthy for minutes this season. Don't see why we shouldn't start Greenwood on the right. AWB was ace. 

Hopefully the first half was a good indication of our first team, give or take a couple. Just so much more dynamic than the second half team. Gomes looks like a real talent and probably needs a move to get some time this season if we're not gonna use him. 

Rashford starting to look like a better player. Was clinical again and warranted a brace and an assist (from James). Feeling better about him being our main man if he keeps his head down and stays composed. 

Painful how reliant we are on Pogba. He was the engine for the entire team and we're clearly worse off without him. Nothing new there though. 

Lingard done nothing again. Just did a bunch of running. He needs to get his goal scoring boots back--else he's just a passenger. 

Martial looked completely detached from the team again. Seldom the man to be the fox in the box, he was doing a lot of aimless link-up play and never really where he needed to be. If he doesn't pick up soon, I imagine it'll be another season on the wing unless rotating with other players. 

What most impressed me about Angel Gomes today was his strength under pressure - he looks like someone who could be bullied off the ball easily, but he did very well to get out of tight spaces and shield the ball. Very promising. 

I like Scott McT more and more every time I watch him play. Another good showing from the lad. 

Think my body went into shock at the sight of a United right back breaking forward to drill in a cross for an assist. Despite the concerns some have voiced over his attacking play, AWB has done pretty well in this department. 

Shit man, I am starting to get excited for the new season now. Same thing every year. Just hope it isn't a shiteshow like last time! 

6 hours ago, Sownak27 said:

What most impressed me about Angel Gomes today was his strength under pressure - he looks like someone who could be bullied off the ball easily, but he did very well to get out of tight spaces and shield the ball. Very promising. 

I like Scott McT more and more every time I watch him play. Another good showing from the lad. 

Think my body went into shock at the sight of a United right back breaking forward to drill in a cross for an assist. Despite the concerns some have voiced over his attacking play, AWB has done pretty well in this department. 

Shit man, I am starting to get excited for the new season now. Same thing every year. Just hope it isn't a shiteshow like last time! 

Nice one Snowy.

Good work out. Comfortable win.

Lots of positives. The youngsters all looked good. Loads of pace.

Still would be keen for at least 2 more transfers before window shuts. Last year José was demanding a new CB and yet we are still waiting. Fernándes been on the cards for all of window, but nothing moving, and let's face it, if Pogba goes, or stays and gets injured, the midfield is fucked.

The wages these players are on here seems to have priced all of the deadwood from being able to be afforded by any of the other clubs, so the needed clear out is looking impossible!

9 hours ago, Sownak27 said:

The leeds performance shows that there are a few new faces knocking on the door but they aren't going to become established first teamers anytime soon.

Most premier league sides are a class above leeds and even mid table clubs are able to afford high transfer fees or resist bids for top stars. With our present lineup a lot hinges on pogba to make the difference. The signs are he'll be staying but will he be motivated to perform at the top of his game week in week out.

If we sign a defender and perhaps another midfielder I'd be optimistic of us finishing 4th but no higher. The way we ended the last campaign raises doubts as to what this group of players can achieve under solskjaer. 

28 minutes ago, John Locke said:

The leeds performance shows that there are a few new faces knocking on the door but they aren't going to become established first teamers anytime soon.

Most premier league sides are a class above leeds and even mid table clubs are able to afford high transfer fees or resist bids for top stars. With our present lineup a lot hinges on pogba to make the difference. The signs are he'll be staying but will he be motivated to perform at the top of his game week in week out.

If we sign a defender and perhaps another midfielder I'd be optimistic of us finishing 4th but no higher. The way we ended the last campaign raises doubts as to what this group of players can achieve under solskjaer. 

I'm thinking the same Lockster.   Some headless chicken running around and looking lively for the first few games, especially the younger players (if they get any game time).   But I'm expecting absolutely no change whatsoever from  Young, Mata, Matic, Smalling, Jones.

I have a feeling Ole will shit his pants and fill the team with the tired the lame and the lazy come the start of the season. 

40 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

I'm thinking the same Lockster.   Some headless chicken running around and looking lively for the first few games, especially the younger players (if they get any game time).   But I'm expecting absolutely no change whatsoever from  Young, Mata, Matic, Smalling, Jones.

I have a feeling Ole will shit his pants and fill the team with the tired the lame and the lazy come the start of the season. 

Then if the results are negative..could be looking an early exit..and maybe get hung drawn and quartered by those who had faith in him ...having faith in youth.

51 minutes ago, butler said:

Then if the results are negative..could be looking an early exit..and maybe get hung drawn and quartered by those who had faith in him ...having faith in youth.

I suppose it depends on which camp your in Butmiester.  There'll be those that as it stands will feel its too much pressure to throw too many young guns in early doors.   And then there's those who feel we need to be brave and get them up and running from the off. 

There's fair case for both approaches I reckon.       Fergie went for it and was slaughtered for it against Villa...."You wont win anything playing kids"  said Hansen.    We all know the rest.  Yet we've been wheeling out Jones, Smalling Young, Mata, Matic for what seems eternity and getting absolutely nowhere.     I  think its fair to say that they aren't suddenly going to look fantastic so maybe its time for Ole to take that gamble.

One thing is for certain.    If Ole does elect to opt for experience and it goes tits...(and lets be totally honest here, it probably would) then the fans will turn on him massively, and nobody wants to see that happen.  Where as I think the majority of fans would be far more patient if the young lads were not quite getting the results but the effort was clear to see.

Its a tough call but one the manager is going to have to make very soon. 

Edited by THE BASTARD

On 19/07/2019 at 02:10, RedDevilDazzy said:

@pearson77 Surely you've heard of Dirty Leeds? I swear we called them this, I don't get the what emoj

Anyway, 4-0. we thumped them.

No mate, never heard of Dirty Leeds...tell me again about them olden days..and remind me what we gained from this 4-0 win.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:09, pearson77 said:

No mate, never heard of Dirty Leeds...tell me again about them olden days..and remind me what we gained from this 4-0 win.

Ok, forget that. Olden days?  What did we gain? Fitness, confidence, surely winning these games is good? Unless it's not? 

14 hours ago, RedDevilDazzy said:

Ok, forget that. Olden days?  What did we gain? Fitness, confidence, surely winning these games is good? Unless it's not? 

I was being facetious..forget it..if you are giddy over a pre-season kickabout on the other side of the world, i'm happy for you xx

38 minutes ago, pearson77 said:

I was being facetious..forget it..if you are giddy over a pre-season kickabout on the other side of the world, i'm happy for you xx

I wouldn't say I'm giddy about it, probably glad we are finding the net. Need to that a lot more this season soon.