O

Mason Greenwood 2019/20

For me I'm amazed at his cross field ball to james leading to the goal, that shows some talent at 18 in his position.

It's kinda awkward isnt it he's 18 barely played first team football but Rooney flourished at this age so we shouldn't be scared for him. 

The question is where he fits in along the front line, he can it seems play anywhere but what suits him and the team most? 

His finishing is definitely top class. 

I think Solksjaer has handled him really poorly to be honest. He's an exceptional talent in a squad bereft of talent. 

He should be getting at least 30+ minutes every game and should have 5-6 PL starts under his belt by now. We wouldn't have played as well vs Spurs without him - Martial wouldn't have offered anything like the pressure he was putting on from the front. It was also disgraceful that Mata took the penalty from him in the Europa game. We should be giving this kid every chance to become a star but we're literally doing the opposite. 

If we do sign Haaland it will be a terrible move for his development. People thought Lukaku limited Rashford and Martial's development but this would push Greenwood down to 3rd choice. Ole clearly doesn't trust him yet and it's awful to see. What a hypocrite. 

1 hour ago, Ross said:

I think we are over protective of youngsters in this country to be honest. He is ready, time to let him fly.

How so?

Owen, Rooney, Milner, Lennon, Bale, etc.

They all started out at 16/17.

20 minutes ago, O said:

How so?

Owen, Rooney, Milner, Lennon, Bale, etc.

They all started out at 16/17.

Correct! and that's my point. Nowadays its all shite talk about over exposing them and burning them out. Complete tosh in my opinion.

21 hours ago, Ross said:

Correct! and that's my point. Nowadays its all shite talk about over exposing them and burning them out. Complete tosh in my opinion.

Wilshere... 

4 hours ago, Ross said:

Injury prone. You could add Shaw to that. You can't plan for these things.

The argument is that they were blooded to young which has then caused problems, but also their potential falls off badly. Quite a few youngsters who shine and then go missing so there's some method to letting them get experience etc. I don't think it's one way or the other you just allow them to grow individually. I think Ole has done well with Greenwood there's no pressure on him where as if he came in and didn't score everyone is straight away greenwood is shit. 

4 minutes ago, U4L said:

The argument is that they were blooded to young which has then caused problems, but also their potential falls off badly. Quite a few youngsters who shine and then go missing so there's some method to letting them get experience etc. I don't think it's one way or the other you just allow them to grow individually. I think Ole has done well with Greenwood there's no pressure on him where as if he came in and didn't score everyone is straight away greenwood is shit. 

It needs to be remembered, Ole would not be making such decisions on his own, he will listen to advice from other staff within the club.

There can be no complaints about how he is being introduced or how the boy is coming along. But more game time is now inevitable, given we have no one better, and I mean no one.

55 minutes ago, Cole said:

9 goals is an excellent return from him. 

He has to start more often.

You can make the argument that he should already be first choice. I think rotating is probably the best way forward though.

2 minutes ago, TheManc said:

You can make the argument that he should already be first choice. I think rotating is probably the best way forward though.

I'd really like to see him as a ten or false nine. 

On 23/07/2019 at 10:34, SimplyGiggs said:

He'll make less than 10 appearances all season.

Not a bad prediction only one away from ten now. Ohh you said appearances and not goals 😬😂

Honestly though lads what a talent this boy is, 9 goals for United by January in limited enough game time at barely 18 and still only getting used to playing at this level is a sensational return. Loves a a finish through the defenders legs aswell doesn't he.  

On 11/01/2020 at 19:06, Canto said:

Not a bad prediction only one away from ten now. Ohh you said appearances and not goals 😬😂

Honestly though lads what a talent this boy is, 9 goals for United by January in limited enough game time at barely 18 and still only getting used to playing at this level is a sensational return. Loves a a finish through the defenders legs aswell doesn't he.  

Was before Lukaku and Sanchez were sold to be fair.

There's no doubting his finishing ability.

From seeing his performances so far, like Rashford, I don't think he looks like he's a 'main' central striker. He's looked a bit lost when he's played up top, so I think he should play either with or just behind a striker, or coming in from the right.

With the goal threat he possesses, as long as we get him within the width of the box he'll always be a danger.

23 minutes ago, Jay007 said:

There's no doubting his finishing ability.

From seeing his performances so far, like Rashford, I don't think he looks like he's a 'main' central striker. He's looked a bit lost when he's played up top, so I think he should play either with or just behind a striker, or coming in from the right.

With the goal threat he possesses, as long as we get him within the width of the box he'll always be a danger.

goals like the Sheffield suggest to me that he ultimately will end up there but I may be wrong, I thought that of Rashford at one point when he's clearly better wide now 

When looking at all his traits I'm not sure which position he's best in or where he'll end up tbh. As things stand he lacks different attributes that are needed in each position but he'll get there. Next season teams will start to target him more so I think things will become clearer. Atm I see him rotating between positions for 18 months but ultimately ending up as a striker in 2-3 seasons. I say this because I don't think he has the pace to dominate wider positions and he's not exactly a creative genius either. It's basically a case of lets wait and see and enjoy the ride.

Haven’t seen half of what he’s capable of yet. He was a more complete player at Academy level.

He’a still adjusting to his new body. Much taller now than 2 years ago. Rashford had a massive growth spurt too at 17.

You lose your centre of gravity in some ways, so hopefully he can get back to dribbling again. He used to be able to beat players.