haggler

Ladies football

3 hours ago, pearson77 said:

Sorry mate, I thought Spain were shite in that match.
I'm dismayed there are no conversations about the England game vs Cameroon..especially the Cameroon players' mass tantrum!

Yeah that was piss poor behavior. I was quite proud of Phil Neville for openly criticizing Cameroon too. 

11 hours ago, THE BASTARD said:

I didn't see it Pancho but I heard the last few minutes on TalkSport.    Sounds like it was a controversial game.

It was ridiculous..they wouldn't restart the game after England got a second goal..initially disallowed for offside, over-ruled (correctly) by VAR..they had a 'meeting' on the pitch! Then early in the second half they had a goal ruled out for offside, by VAR (harsh, I thought) and went ballistic! It was uncomfortable to watch..although some seem to find that kind of thing entertaining, must be retards if that entertains them..also there was an elbow to the face, a spitting incident and a very nasty late tackle. Have to say the referee was pathetic. 

Quarter-final, Norway vs England on thursday..

Edited by pearson77

9 minutes ago, Sownak27 said:

Has anyone been watching The Netherlands vs Japan? Some of the football from Japan has been pure poetry. Such a refreshing change after last season haha

Such a brilliant game of football. 

The Netherlands are very lucky to be going through - Japan were much the better team, hard-working and efficient but so quick and skillful on the ball.  They just didn't take their chances and were unlucky with the penalty at the end.  It probably was a penalty under the new rules, just unlucky the way it happened.

54 minutes ago, Jay007 said:

Such a brilliant game of football. 

The Netherlands are very lucky to be going through - Japan were much the better team, hard-working and efficient but so quick and skillful on the ball.  They just didn't take their chances and were unlucky with the penalty at the end.  It probably was a penalty under the new rules, just unlucky the way it happened.

Yep. 

The new handball rule - especially when coupled with the retroactive nature of VAR -- is a complete disaster. You can see a trend in every game as players take speculative shots at the edge of the box, appealing subsequently when there's contact with literally any part of the opposition player's body. Gone silly IMO, especially when considering incidents like this evening where there's literally no way the defender could get her arm out of the way. Thing the rule needs reevaluating or else defending is going to become completely impossible. 

22 hours ago, Sownak27 said:

Yep. 

The new handball rule - especially when coupled with the retroactive nature of VAR -- is a complete disaster. You can see a trend in every game as players take speculative shots at the edge of the box, appealing subsequently when there's contact with literally any part of the opposition player's body. Gone silly IMO, especially when considering incidents like this evening where there's literally no way the defender could get her arm out of the way. Thing the rule needs reevaluating or else defending is going to become completely impossible. 

Agreed. The penalty was correctly awarded according to the rules, but it's difficult to see what else the player should have done.

I do have sympathy with the authorities because it is actually a complex issue, and they've obviously tried to change the rules to make decisions more consistent. But while humans have arms it's impossible to avoid strays balls from hitting them at some point, which leads to really harsh decisions.

Saying that, I'm not sure what the answer is! Some handballs that aren't deliberate do stop goals or clear cut chances and should be penalties, so I don't think it'd be right to have a blanket "deliberate or not deliberate" rule either.

14 minutes ago, RedDevilDazzy said:

Football is so fucking cruel.

Which is why it’s a perfect parallel for life, my friend. That was a very enjoyable football match and you should be proud of your women. 

3 minutes ago, Piazza said:

Which is why it’s a perfect parallel for life, my friend. That was a very enjoyable football match and you should be proud of your women. 

I should be....but we had an offside goal ruled out, then a penalty miss, then a red card? That was in the last 25 mins or so. If only we got that goal. Also they should scrap 3rd/4th play off, we came here to win, not to finish 2nd 3rd or 4th.

Seeing US women dominate is a hint of what may happen with the men's game if and when soccer starts to become bigger and bigger over there. Isn't it already the most played sport for kids?

18 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Seeing US women dominate is a hint of what may happen with the men's game if and when soccer starts to become bigger and bigger over there. Isn't it already the most played sport for kids?

I wouldn't worry too much about that happening Mancster.     Your talking about a nation that voted for Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Trump.

Consult the Oxford English dictionary and look up the word "Gullible".   The first reference is "Americans".😂

Leave them to playing girls games like netball, only they call it basketball.  And rounders but they call it baseball.   Even their rugby players wear helmets and shoulder pads and knee pads.  

They've only fought two wars on their own in Korea and Vietnam and got twatted in them both.  

Troo dat!!

Stating the obvious but USA deserved the win the tournament.  They're a class, at least, above every other team in the tournament.  I think the pundits gave the Netherlands too much credit tbh - yes, they worked hard and gave it their best shot, but the US were far superior and could have won by a much bigger scoreline.

I thought it was a really good tournament overall, better than the borefests that the last few men's tournaments have been.  Some really good football on show with the player's conducting themselves far better on the whole.

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

Weve been awaiting their emergence for 30 years now. America has a lot of diaspora from europe central and south america which has probably boosted interest in the mls but i think the traditional US sports will always remain well ahead. 

The league is ultimately third rate when you have players who can no longer cut it at tge top level in europe goating it over there into their late 30s. I think the league standard is a big factor if america are to seriously progress to one of the top teams in the world.

Edited by John Locke

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

If anything, the gap is closing for the women.

Soccer will never be as popular as their own sports in terms of of males.

Playing soccer is expensive in America, so only the wealthy can afford to pay their subscriptions for their kids to play it every weekend.