Without departures, if we're talking about the bare minimum then we need 3 players at least.

A DM/CM and a CB are the biggest priorities. They're the two areas that we are most lacking in quality.

For the 3rd position, I do understand the debate about whether we need a ST or a RW but I'd go for a RW. Greenwood seems to be the only player we have who's comfortable on the right, while everyone else prefers the left. We probably need to be looking at a ST next year when Cavani goes, but a RW is the biggest priority for me.

The big names we've been linked with, like Sancho, Kane, Grealish etc, are obviously big signings that would excite fans. My concern is that I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if we spend huge sums on more than one player this year, so for me there's an argument for looking at 'cheaper' alternatives to improve more areas. That would be harder and riskier though, even though 'big' signings obviously aren't guaranteed to work out either.

I realise I'm probably sitting on the fence not suggesting names, but I barely watch any football these days outside of the teams I follow and big tournaments so I can't confidently suggest any.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of talented kids here. It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes on loan.

Amad, Pellistri, Engala, Hannibal, Garner, Laird and Mengi all have genuine chances to make it here but there's only so many spaces. 

It's an important pre season for all of them to try and stake a claim. Williams and Mengi are definite loans. The rest can be debated.

Edited by TheManc
On 27/05/2021 at 13:42, aardvarked said:

Donnarumma is available on a free

Yes but Ole won't be looking at getting another keeper unless he flogs De Gea, then Henderson will be number one. I can't see Donnarumma wanting to play second fiddle to Dean Henderson.

3 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Yes but Ole won't be looking at getting another keeper unless he flogs De Gea, then Henderson will be number one. I can't see Donnarumma wanting to play second fiddle to Dean Henderson.

Latest silly season rumour is we're looking at a deal for Oblak involving De Gea going in the opposite direction.

Whether there's any truth to it or not, I doubt Ole sees Henderson as our long term number 1 or he'd have trusted him more this season.

Already - Madrid/Liverpool/Barca- deals done (or to close to it, by looks of it) that's the way to do it,  most of negotiating on top targets should already be done by now. 

are UTD going to get they're finger out or f*ck about all summer & try play market again Levy style?    Let's see 

2 hours ago, CB78 said:

Already - Madrid/Liverpool/Barca- deals done (or to close to it, by looks of it) that's the way to do it,  most of negotiating on top targets should already be done by now. 

are UTD going to get they're finger out or f*ck about all summer & try play market again Levy style?    Let's see 

Our transfer windows of late tend to mirror our underwhelming performances on the pitch, so don't get your hopes up.

2 hours ago, hdcantona said:

Madrid paying Alaba 12.5m euros a year net, even on a free I wouldn’t touch that

That's about what we gave Sanchez. Wages at this club have been broken ever since so I don't think it's that out of the realms of possibility. Would have been easier to justify if Shaw hadn't come good last season. 

Not really saying we should have signed either of them in any case. We'll see how our business compares at the end of the window. 

13 minutes ago, aardvarked said:

That's about what we gave Sanchez. Wages at this club have been broken ever since so I don't think it's that out of the realms of possibility. Would have been easier to justify if Shaw hadn't come good last season. 

Not really saying we should have signed either of them in any case. We'll see how our business compares at the end of the window. 

No doubt our window will be a disaster too tbf but the wage structure aside from ddg is apparently now in a much better place 

On 27/05/2021 at 18:42, aardvarked said:

Donnarumma is available on a free

Considering, as I've said, I don't think we'll be spending huge amounts of cash this summer this would be a no-brainer.

It does feel like there might be a little bit of movement in the goalkeeping position this summer. Romero will go, rumours are that Tom Heaton is coming in so I imagine Grant will be going/retiring if so, and I'm not sure that De Gea and Henderson will both be staying. I'd be least surprised to see De Gea head back to Spain.

It’s a manager overhaul needed more than a squad overhaul! Rent boys winning the European cup further cements my view on this,  on top of a bang average Villarreal, and Leicester this season. Players we have are given no structure, no chance to control games through tactics and are doomed to fail with blind belief from the past.... 

On 30/05/2021 at 12:05, JJtheRed said:

Apparently, City might be open to letting go of Mahrez - decent alternative to Sancho...

Solskjaer will have him playing like he's constipated in no time.

I can see the arrival of sancho, probably for a hiked up manu price and one lower key name.

Well I am well in the june monthly.

Keep

Fernandes

Shaw

Telles

McTominay

Matic

Fred

Wan Bissaka

Lindelöf or Jones

Maguire

Fish

Elanga

Mata

Diallo

James

Henderson

Bailly

Dalot

Shoretire

Rashford

Greenwood 

Cavani

J.Pereira

Loans

Hannibal 

Mengi 

Tuanzebe

Williams

Sell

De Gea 

Pogba

Martial

Van De Beek 

Pellistri

Garner

Lingard

Lindelöf or Jones

Grant

Romero

A.Pereira

Chong

Ins

a new centre back

a new right back

Heaton

Bishop

Two new forwards 

a new central midfielder 

29 players in squad. 

The coach are Solskjaer yet. 

I think in my fancy one off Villarreal's Pau Torres or Gerard Moreno to new team building because its one good performance to Juan Mata and to me too Spanish players twice in new team building.  

Two possible first players by one player from Villarreal. 

Rashford - Moreno - Mata/Greenwood

Fernandes - Fred - McTominay

Telles - new signing or Bailly/Fish - Maguire/Jones - Wan Bissaka

Henderson/Heaton 

new signing

Rashford - Fernandes - new signing or Greenwood

new signing or Fred - McTominay/Matic

Telles - Torres - Maguire/Jones - Dalot

Henderson/Heaton 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing him play tonight reminded me of something I thought about a few months ago (probably January when he was linked with other moves), but if we decide to take the 'risky' option of buying cheaper alternatives and seeing if they step up, then one defensive midfielder I think we should consider is Glen Kamara at Rangers.

People look down their noses at players who are playing in Scotland, even though a good few have proven themselves in the league in the last few years, but he's a player I really like. I definitely think he'll prove himself to good enough if he plays in the Premier League, as he hasn't just been impressive domestically but had some really great games for Rangers in Europe as well. 

I think we'd get him for £15m-£20m, but £25m at the very most.

1 minute ago, Jay007 said:

Seeing him play tonight reminded me of something I thought about a few months ago (probably January when he was linked with other moves), but if we decide to take the 'risky' option of buying cheaper alternatives and seeing if they step up, then one defensive midfielder I think we should consider is Glen Kamara at Rangers.

People look down their noses at players who are playing in Scotland, even though a good few have proven themselves in the league in the last few years, but he's a player I really like. I definitely think he'll prove himself to good enough if he plays in the Premier League, as he hasn't just been impressive domestically but had some really great games for Rangers in Europe as well. 

The best CB on the planet played up there - I’m up for that experiment! 

Just now, JJtheRed said:

The best CB on the planet played up there - I’m up for that experiment! 

Yeah, Van Dijk was one player I continually said we should have been signing when he was at Celtic and then Southampton.  I was the same with Wanyama as well and he was certainly good enough, but injuries were his undoing unfortunately.

Then you look at players like Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McCarthy etc and there can be talent playing in Scottish football if people take a good enough look.

The only one of the those players whose success I didn't see coming was Robertson, surprisingly - he was very good, but I don't think many people foresaw his rise. Maybe it was because he 'only' played for Dundee United at the time.

1 hour ago, Jay007 said:

He's got a year left on his contract so it could possibly be even less, though I'm not sure Gerrard would do us any favours in that regard.