7 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

Since 2013 (I'll put aside some of Fergie's questionable signings like Bebe and Obertan), we have seen a revolving door at United. Big-name players have been signed only for them to turn into absolute dross the moment they put on the shirt. How many of our post-Fergie signings can be considered an outstanding success?

Fellaini - Bit above average but better than most give him credit for.

Mata - Decent enough player but not what you'd call outstanding. A bit like Fellaini.

Shaw - Flatters to deceive. Did well until he broke his leg and has never recovered fully.

Falcao - Big name player but pretty useless for us - and for Chelsea.

Ibra - Lifted the whole place.

Di Maria - Depressed the whole place. A disaster.

Pogba - Infuriating.

Wan Bissaka - Good tackler but not much going forward.

Lindelof - Liability.

Maguire - Con job.

James - Championship player

Grant - Why is he here?

Bruno - Best of the bunch. Maybe saved Ole's job.

Martial - Good now he's found some consistency.

Schweini - Con job. Crocked and past it.

Sanchez - Saved the worst for last. Fucking abysmal.

I'm sure I've missed a few but you get the point. You have to ask why have we signed so many duds for so great an outlay. We pay huge wages and you can't blame an agent with an aging asset on his hands for steering the player in our direction. There's nobody with any savvy in charge of transfer operations. Rumour is that it was Ronaldo who was involved in the Bruno deal. Anyway, the club has established a pattern of blaming the manager and it will happen to Ole. It's just a matter of time.

Probably just 1 Bruno. 

and If I was Liverpool FC fan I would be fucking delighted by looking through that list of signings by United post 2013. Its the type of dross Liverpool used to sign during 90s, 00s and 01s prior to Klopp. 

Edited by Mickey Mouse
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many times has Ole beat City in the league this season?

A shocking turn of events indeed. Nobody could have predicted that an average defender for an average side would still be average after being involved in an £80m transfer.  The fact Leicester are

I'm surprised at a lot of the stuff I read in this thread. Two questions:

1. How did United's prospects look prior to last season? In the short, medium and longer term?

2. How are they looking now?

I don't know about you, but to me, ahead of last season Utd looked like a team that could realistically hope to finish 5th.  Wafer-thin squad, full of holes, needed quality upgrades almost everywhere. The previous season made it obvious that a wholesale revamp would be required, a year ago that process looked very much in its early stages. I fully expected the short term effects to be bad. A rebuild takes time. The proof of the pudding would be whether there was real progress in 20/21, and if a competetive, title-challenging team was in place for 21/22. 

In my view, they made considerably more progress in 19/20 than anyone could reasonably expect. As far as team-building is concerned, Ole is ahead of schedule. Fernandes was key, but then again acquiring the right players is the better part of team-building - it's not as if that was a blessing that descended on the manager from above. Progress is what hopes for last season was about, and progress is what he delivered. 

I don't want to overstate it. Solskjær was plainly out-tacticked by Lopetegui against Sevilla. They got 66 points, very similar to previous seasons, and in normal years no more than you need for 5th or 6th place. On the other hand, they got more points after the January transfer window closed than any other team, and with the rapid evolution of the side, taking last year as a whole seems sort of abstract. If the begin where they ended, they are a much better team than that. I would also say that while they tailed off towards the end of the season, they were on the whole impressive post- lockdown. Above all, they showed that they are now capable of overrunning deep-sitting sides on a more than occasional basis. That is the key to improving in the standings. And you can't overlook their record against the top sides. Progress. 

They are now playing with a distinctive style that yields results, which is increasingly suited to the personnell, and which the team buys into. Progress. 

And look at the number of players developing positively or performing better than before - Shaw, Williams, Fosu-Mensah, Fred, Matic, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood. Not to forget that all players bought have actually improved the team, and integrated well. Progress. 

More than anything else - there's a plan. Finally. For how the club manages things, what they want to be about, how they play, what sort of players they want, and where they plan to end up without being unrealistic about what that'll take. It seems to be working. 

Also, personally, I've never bought into the "this is United, anything other than winning now is unacceptable" mentality. Not even a club with United's history has a right to such a sense of entitlement. After all you don't get awarded points for history, they have to be earned in every game, same as everyone else. And if you want a winning team, you have to build one. It's no quicker or easier for United than it is for anybody else. Well, except for the money, obviously. But that's not enough.  

1 hour ago, Kjetil said:

I'm surprised at a lot of the stuff I read in this thread. Two questions:

1. How did United's prospects look prior to last season? In the short, medium and longer term?

2. How are they looking now?

I don't know about you, but to me, ahead of last season Utd looked like a team that could realistically hope to finish 5th.  Wafer-thin squad, full of holes, needed quality upgrades almost everywhere. The previous season made it obvious that a wholesale revamp would be required, a year ago that process looked very much in its early stages. I fully expected the short term effects to be bad. A rebuild takes time. The proof of the pudding would be whether there was real progress in 20/21, and if a competetive, title-challenging team was in place for 21/22. 

In my view, they made considerably more progress in 19/20 than anyone could reasonably expect. As far as team-building is concerned, Ole is ahead of schedule. Fernandes was key, but then again acquiring the right players is the better part of team-building - it's not as if that was a blessing that descended on the manager from above. Progress is what hopes for last season was about, and progress is what he delivered. 

I don't want to overstate it. Solskjær was plainly out-tacticked by Lopetegui against Sevilla. They got 66 points, very similar to previous seasons, and in normal years no more than you need for 5th or 6th place. On the other hand, they got more points after the January transfer window closed than any other team, and with the rapid evolution of the side, taking last year as a whole seems sort of abstract. If the begin where they ended, they are a much better team than that. I would also say that while they tailed off towards the end of the season, they were on the whole impressive post- lockdown. Above all, they showed that they are now capable of overrunning deep-sitting sides on a more than occasional basis. That is the key to improving in the standings. And you can't overlook their record against the top sides. Progress. 

They are now playing with a distinctive style that yields results, which is increasingly suited to the personnell, and which the team buys into. Progress. 

And look at the number of players developing positively or performing better than before - Shaw, Williams, Fosu-Mensah, Fred, Matic, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood. Not to forget that all players bought have actually improved the team, and integrated well. Progress. 

More than anything else - there's a plan. Finally. For how the club manages things, what they want to be about, how they play, what sort of players they want, and where they plan to end up without being unrealistic about what that'll take. It seems to be working. 

Also, personally, I've never bought into the "this is United, anything other than winning now is unacceptable" mentality. Not even a club with United's history has a right to such a sense of entitlement. After all you don't get awarded points for history, they have to be earned in every game, same as everyone else. And if you want a winning team, you have to build one. It's no quicker or easier for United than it is for anybody else. Well, except for the money, obviously. But that's not enough.  

That you, Tim Long?

Well if ole does not complain and is happy with the squad then he is to be blamed completely for failures too. Should be judged and sacked on the team's performance now and there should not be any excuse of him being backed in the transfer window as he clearly seems to toe the line. I am not saying that he should behave like Jose and disrupt whatever little positivity we have in the squad but should put some pressure on ED by publicly stating his player requirements.