Sign in to follow this  
O

Can we genuinely challenge for the title next season?

Solskjaer has just set a club record number of away wins on the bounce, and also broke a longstanding European record with our comeback tonight.

PSG obviously had some decent chances to put the game beyond reach, but we always played like we believed that we could take the game to the death.

I do think that his counter attacking style (PSG had something like 70% possession tonight) will serves us well away from home, which it already has up to this point. But we need to learn how to play with more of the ball at home. We have looked better on the road than at Old Trafford (Burnley, Liverpool and Southampton).

So that's clearly an area that needs to be addressed during pre-season.

And as for our formation, the diamond is what the coaching staff have decided on since the Dubai trip. I wonder if they'll keep that shape next season, or will they look to play with genuine wingers. 

I guess our transfer business depends on that really. No point in buying wingers if we stick with this formation.

So overall, I'm fairly optimistic that we can challenge. But would take 3rd place and a season full of consistent performances before challenging the following season.

What about you?

Let’s get over the season first and reassess. Our ability to attract the very best players, your Sanchos and De Ligts could come down to CL. A few shrewd signings, more young players stepping up and we certainly could give it a real crack.

The whole mood of the club has changed and that result tonight could be the turning point after a dour last few years. Sure, it was lucky but it was backs to the wall and a show of immense spirit.

2 minutes ago, peterswellman said:

Let’s get over the season first and reassess. Our ability to attract the very best players, your Sanchos and De Ligts could come down to CL. A few shrewd signings, more young players stepping up and we certainly could give it a real crack.

The whole mood of the club has changed and that result tonight could be the turning point after a dour last few years. Sure, it was lucky but it was backs to the wall and a show of immense spirit.

If we were able to sign De Ligt to partner Lindelöf and also sign a better RB than Young, I think we can definitely play some sexy stuff next season.

It all depends on if guys like Fred and McTominay can perform at this level the majority of the time that they're called upon.

As I think Pogba and Herrera are pretty much 1st choice from here on out. McTominay might be able to put Matić under some serious pressure soon.

And Lukaku. If we have the real Lukaku playing for us over the course of a season + the team creating chances, he can score 30+ goals for us.

So yeah, a lot of factors and lots still to play for. But the attitude from everyone is incredible. A real team.

There's definitely areas that need attention but we are  heading in the right direction.

The squad has deffo bought into to Ole.  Thats a given.   Theyre clearly enjoying their football.  But we need to be more ruthless.     The Burnleys and the Southamptons need to be brushed aside in the first half of games at home.    We need to get back to the days when teams feared playing us.  The tactics of Van Dross and Jose Sexton did nothing but put us back years.     With the right investment we can do it.

4 minutes ago, butler said:

If we can win all our remaining fixtures and city loose 5 ..then why not this season. 

Klopp will aslo be gone with the wind they are draw the title away at this rate.

Title challenge is something that will happen eventually if we continue in this manner and add some more quality and let go off some dead wood. For now though I am enjoying watching the team play without even worrying about the end result. Doubt if Ole has ever named an unchanged starting 11 and yet the football on display is a joy to watch. 

Long it may continue... Oh God how badly missed this kind of feeling of enjoying the team play since SAF left. 

7 hours ago, O said:

Solskjaer has just set a club record number of away wins on the bounce, and also broke a longstanding European record with our comeback tonight.

PSG obviously had some decent chances to put the game beyond reach, but we always played like we believed that we could take the game to the death.

I do think that his counter attacking style (PSG had something like 70% possession tonight) will serves us well away from home, which it already has up to this point. But we need to learn how to play with more of the ball at home. We have looked better on the road than at Old Trafford (Burnley, Liverpool and Southampton).

So that's clearly an area that needs to be addressed during pre-season.

And as for our formation, the diamond is what the coaching staff have decided on since the Dubai trip. I wonder if they'll keep that shape next season, or will they look to play with genuine wingers. 

I guess our transfer business depends on that really. No point in buying wingers if we stick with this formation.

So overall, I'm fairly optimistic that we can challenge. But would take 3rd place and a season full of consistent performances before challenging the following season.

What about you?

I think we have done well, far better than anyone could have expected, but we still have some teething issues to sort out in terms of team balance and quality in certain aspects. To improve of the ball we need to upgrade one of Herrera/Matic with a deep-lying playmaker in the Modric/Verrati mode. Wrt balance I think we need a new right side altogether, new world class right winger and a very good right back. Those three signings are absolutely critical. 

I think the diamond is being played out of necessity not as a first choice because we do not have genuine quality on the right side of the attack.

We needed these before Ole and we still need them to be in a far stronger position to challenge and win. 

Absolutely we can and we should. I don't think we'll win it until Pep leaves City - they're too strong and are where they are despite being ruined by injuries all season - but we should be challenging. We're still 2-3 seasons of constant progress away from eating at the top table.

We're building the correct foundations for a title challenge but theres still a few holes to dug out and filled. With the correct recruitment, blooding in of youth and style of football continuing theres no doubt why we can't be challenging for the title next season. 

Hopefully the dressing room togetherness and enjoyment continues under Ole for a long time, starting to believe this management lark is a young mans game.

Edited by ALF

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

Absolutely we can and we should. I don't think we'll win it until Pep leaves City - they're too strong and are where they are despite being ruined by injuries all season - but we should be challenging. We're still 2-3 seasons of constant progress away from eating at the top table.

Don't know how its gonna pan out from here on in but currently 3 points off top and in the CL quarters so literally we are eating at the top table but hear what you saying. We really need to get the summer recruitment right and hopefully that and a few tactical changes helps us become more dominant on the ball. I don't think Pep is as invincible as he appeared last season and Liverpool are giving them a run for their money in the league.

Rashford Lukaku ????

Pogba Matic Herrera

Shaw ???? Lindelof ????

De Gea

We have a good core in the side. If Ole can recruit a couple top defenders and a right forward there's no reason we can't challenge for the title. 

4 hours ago, Cole said:

Rashford Lukaku ????

Pogba Matic Herrera

Shaw ???? Lindelof ????

De Gea

We have a good core in the side. If Ole can recruit a couple top defenders and a right forward there's no reason we can't challenge for the title. 

We'd need to replace Matic in that too. Our midfield was exposed in the PSG game. It's not an immediate issue because we have other areas first, but it's another position to improve before we can fight to be 'the best'.

16 hours ago, TheManc said:

We'd need to replace Matic in that too. Our midfield was exposed in the PSG game. It's not an immediate issue because we have other areas first, but it's another position to improve before we can fight to be 'the best'.

Yes, we need to quickly think of replacing Matic. While we may have to wait for McTominay to grow into that role not sure if it works with pushing Herrera back to Matic position and Fred play in Herrera's. 

--------------- Fred -------------------- Herrera ----------------- Pogba -----------------