PVAD

Would Guardiola do any better?

Would Guardiola do better?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would Guardiola do any better?

He would have done better with the same spending as Mourinho. Not 100 points good. But title challengers with a clear style of play.

Shaw, Lindelöf, Matić, Herrera, Andreas, Fred, Pogba, Mata, Martial and Rashford would all benefit from his coaching and the City system.

Young, Valencia, Rojo, Smalling, McTominay, Fellaini and Lukaku would struggle under Pep.

He’d have upgraded the full-backs immediately.

Or to put it another way, if Jose was in charge of City, would he allow them to achieve what they have under Pep?

Perhaps.. But i'd guarantee that the same old storyline would unfold after a season or two.

Meanwhile, we would obviously be playing a lot more attractive football under Pep and would likely be feeling a whole lot more satisfied with the football. I'd wager the results would follow too.

But thems the breaks.

At the very least, after two years of management: 

1) We would have a clear and attractive style of play.

2) He would get rid of deadwood or players that don't fit the system.

3) Improve young players in the squad.

4) We would be ready to challenge for the title, if we hadn't already won it.

Edited by Vanrooney

16 minutes ago, Mickey Mouse said:

Don't want Gurdiola. Want Zizu

Zizou just doesn't strike me as the right manager at all. I know 3 CLs in a row is impressive but that was a team that was already used to playing with each other for years and had already won before with the same squad. I'd rather we go for an adventurous manager with an attacking philosophy like Jardim.

By a country mile, Txiki has made it easier for him but he'd still do much better than Mourinho with the same group of players he inherited and the same spending power. 

We actually thought that Mourinho vs Pep was going to be a thing in the PL. Lol.

1 minute ago, aardvarked said:

By a country mile, Txiki has made it easier for him but he'd still do much better than Mourinho with the same group of players he inherited and the same spending power. 

We actually thought that Mourinho vs Pep was going to be a thing in the PL. Lol.

Mourinho needs to gouge Arteta’s eye the next time we play City.

That will really kick things off. He teased a feud with his recent comment about City’s lack of class.

He needs to go to war. But I don’t think enough players will follow him to the end.

33 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

is this really a question???

Well yes because no matter how high one holds Guardiola it doesn't necessarily mean that he could magically ignite (in theory) these  bunch of clowns in any shape or form.

Do you think he would be able to walk into Old Trafford tomorrow and coach the players they way City are playing at the moment. We do have some very very good players and its obvious that Mourinho is so far away from extracting any resemblance of an attacking attractive side.

Don't mock the question man without adding any input anyone can make throwaway remarks.

Edited by PVAD

20 minutes ago, PVAD said:

Well yes because no matter how high one holds Guardiola it doesn't necessarily mean that he could magically ignite (in theory) these  bunch of clowns in any shape or form.

Do you think he would be able to walk into Old Trafford tomorrow and coach the players they way City are playing at the moment. We do have some very very good players and its obvious that Mourinho is so far away from extracting any resemblance of an attacking attractive side.

Don't mock the question man without adding any input anyone can make throwaway remarks.

It takes time but he has a philosophy, he has an identity and he inspires confidence in his players 

The way we played today, most if not all top managers could walk in and get a better performance, I'm sorry for doing it so nonchalantly I just find it hard to believe anyone would argue to the contrary after today's game

26 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

It takes time but he has a philosophy, he has an identity and he inspires confidence in his players 

The way we played today, most if not all top managers could walk in and get a better performance, I'm sorry for doing it so nonchalantly I just find it hard to believe anyone would argue to the contrary after today's game

Thats damming of Mourinho mate but I think I know where you're coming from. 

I believe he has fallen so far that there is nothing "special" about hiim anymore, hasn't for awhile now.

I also understand concerns that some think it's too early to jump on Mourinho's back after 2 games but in reality it's been 2 years especially last year and the rut needs to stop for the sake of United.

The question of Guardiola  yes it would take time but not as long as we're affording "the fallen one"

I think the United Board have small club mentality Mourinho would have been dismissed at Real, Juventus and Barca for sure maybe even Bayern.

Edited by PVAD

The only issue for Guardiola would be in the transfer market. He has signed a few duds at City and been able to replace them - something which Mourinho hasn't been able to do (see Lindeloff, Bailly etc). He also inherited a team that was far better than just '1 point ahead' of United when both arrived in Manchester. Kompany, Silva, Fernandinho, Aguero...come on.

I think if you switched the coaches, there is a chance Mourinho may have won the PL last season with City, but most importantly from our perspective is that we'd have a clear idea of how to play. If there's one thing the last few seasons have shown, it's that Guardiola is on another planet to Mourinho as a training-ground-coach which is where I think he's been left behind a little. I'm sure all of our offensive players would look far better than they do currently and we'd be far, far better to watch. It would actually feel like a 'United team'. 

So yes Guardiola would do much better than Mourinho has at United, but whether or not that would translate to trophies is another matter and is not quite as clear cut.

Just to add a little more positivity....our lack of pro-activity in headhunting Guardiola may well be something that comes back to haunt us for a generation when you look at what they're doing, their age, intent and bank balance. We should have been on Guardiola's case years before he came to England. Probably before he even joined Bayern. SAF said something to him but never really came out and made it clear as best as I recall, which is another howler the club have made this past decade.  I've no idea what our board is thinking about right now but we should be being aggressive today in finding, assessing and contacting future coaches who fit our ideals. My bad for going OT...

6 hours ago, PVAD said:

So a straight forward question as it gets would Guardiola do better with this bunch and how quickly?

Pep is a coach who can develop himself  and adapt to a different leagues  with completely different  footballers  while Moureen is everything else related with the modern football.United need coaches and not managers . 

We'd have bought a CB in the summer because, after seeing what he brings, would you not back him in every way? Also, he'd have bought young players. (See Laporte)

I don't think he'd be able to do the same job with us as he is doing with Citeh. He'd be frustrated with our transfers and would probably not be this happy in public.

He'd have had to deal with the likes of Shaw and Darmian as FBs here, and I think the only difference we'd notice is that we have a consistent plan in place.

It is disingenuous to say that we haven't looked like having an identity under Mourinho, but there is far too much inconsistency in it which makes our players look like headless chickens.

Maybe Woodward shouldn't be running his mouth in public on how much money we make? That surely had an inflationary effect on the demands made by Juve and Spurs for Sandro and Toby respectively. You can't then come back to your manager and say that their demands are too high so we cannot budge.

The board should shut the fuck up about their profits and do the job they are supposed to do, instead they have consistently made our managers look like clowns over the past 5 years. Under Fergie it was fine, but that was Fergie and no one can replace him. I can confidently say that even Moyes would've looked half decent if he had gotten Kroos and Fabregas when he demanded it. LVG had issues signing Muller and Ramos, although with the former Bayern weren't willing to sell which is fair. But there were other targets too which Woodward failed to land in his second season here, and we have seen the same thing happen to Mourinho now.

If Pep was managing the same squad last season, he would have finished with 90 points. That's definitely a title winning point total, and I think he wouldn't have dropped points against shite teams like Newcastle and WBA from December to February.

In conclusion, Mourinho is definitely to blame for our embarrassing defeats against Sevilla and Chelsea last season. But I don't think he's to blame for the condition this squad is in right now; we have to failed to get rid of Shaw, Darmian, Fellaini, Rojo, Mata and Jones. At least with Fellaini and Jones, you can see that they play for the badge.

Edited by Burns92

2 minutes ago, Burns92 said:

I don't think he'd be able to do the same job with us as he is doing with Citeh. He'd be frustrated with our transfers and would probably not be this happy in public.

He'd have had to deal with the likes of Shaw and Darmian as FBs here, and I think the only difference we'd notice is that we have a consistent plan in place.

It is disingenuous to say that we haven't looked like having an identity under Mourinho, but there is far too much inconsistency in it which makes our players look like headless chickens.

Maybe Woodward shouldn't be running his mouth in public on how much money we make? That surely had an inflationary effect on the demands made by Juve and Spurs for Sandro and Toby respectively. You can't then come back to your manager and say that their demands are too high so we cannot budge.

The board should shut the fuck up about their profits and do the job they are supposed to do, instead they have consistently made our managers look like clowns over the past 5 years. Under Fergie it was fine, but that was Fergie and no one can replace him. I can confidently say that even Moyes would've looked half decent if he had gotten Kroos and Fabregas when he demanded it. LVG had issues signing Muller and Ramos, although with the former Bayern weren't willing to sell which is fair. But there were other targets too which Woodward failed to land in his second season here, and we have seen the same thing happen to Mourinho now.

If Pep was managing the same squad last season, he would have finished with 90 points. That's definitely a title winning point total, and I think he wouldn't have dropped points against shite teams like Newcastle and WBA from December to February.

What is our identity?

Because that wasn’t even Mourinhoball yesterday.

Edited by O

2 minutes ago, O said:

What is our identity?

Because that wasn’t even Mourinhoball yesterday.

Liverpool and Chelsea at OT? Arsenal at Emirates and Spurs at Wembley? The second half against City at Etihad? Those are just the few big games where we looked like a proper team, but there have been numerous other games where we have shown that.

I shouldn't include City in this list here because the first half was atrocious, but the question is about the kind of football we are capable of playing.

would guardiola do any better?

50:50 since I don't think so since Guardiola style need someone who have clear vision like the bruyne or xavi at barca(can we have a player like this?). Need someone like messi or jesus at front (we have rooney at that time) and someone who can do transtition at wing (who can do this at our squad?). He will need buy so much players than Mourinho, a player who can support his system. Without player like them, that will be a team what we see under LVG. Doing some boring tiki taka but without result. Don't forget about Guardiola style in training who has similiar style with LVG too. Very demanding to his player to do what he want in the pitch (Remember his last days at Bayern? https://www.bayerncentral.com/2015/05/why-hasnt-pep-guardiola-been-success/ or https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/why-the-pep-guardiola-era-at-bayern-munich-was-a-failure-050416).

And don't forget about Rooney factor too! Can he made Rooney out without problem?

What i can imagine if he train us is with same reason at above (he will train us after LVG) we will have sustainability. Blind will still become one of our important player. No matic. Maybe no pogba too. And maybe we will have some more latino player at here (Maybe jesus go to here? Dybala?). Maybe more player from our youth like gomes, tahith chong will play at our first team too.

Edited by jokerz

He would have had to sell 90% of the squad. Woodward wouldn't have allowed it.

City were planning for his arrival 4 years in advance. We literally didn't have a single "Guardiola style" player in the squad.

• De Gea - Worst distribution in the league. Sold
  • Valencia - Can't football. Sold
  • Smalling/Jones - Self explanatory. Sold
  • Rojo - Maybe a squad player. Nothing more.
  • Darmian - Not a football player. Sold.
  • Luke Shaw - Squad player. But shit. Eventually sold.
  • Blind - Squad player.
  • Young - Maybe a squad player. 
  • Carrick - Squad player.
  • Fellaini - LOL. Sold
  • Schweinsteiger - Already Sold by Pep. Sold.
  • Schniederlin - Not even Everton level. Sold.
  • Herrera - Too sloppy with the ball. Sold.
  • Rooney - Can't run. Sold.
  • Martial - Wont run. Sold.
  • Januzaj - LOL. Sold.
  • Mmphis - Literally anti-Pep. Sold.
  • Lingard - Squad player.
  • Mata - Squad player. Can't run. Eventually sold.
  • Rashford - Iheanacho. Sold. 

Pep would have gone to China before taking a look at us with that shower of shit. There's a reason he went to City and never entertained offers from other English clubs. It was already in the works when Moyesball was in full swing. 

Edited by TFIA

4 hours ago, Burns92 said:

Liverpool and Chelsea at OT? Arsenal at Emirates and Spurs at Wembley? The second half against City at Etihad? Those are just the few big games where we looked like a proper team, but there have been numerous other games where we have shown that.

I shouldn't include City in this list here because the first half was atrocious, but the question is about the kind of football we are capable of playing.

The thing is, those are stand alone games and played differently in each of them to nullify the opposition, we've never sustained that and continued playing in the same manner. 

1 hour ago, TFIA said:

He would have had to sell 90% of the squad. Woodward wouldn't have allowed it.

City were planning for his arrival 4 years in advance. We literally didn't have a single "Guardiola style" player in the squad.

• De Gea - Worst distribution in the league. Sold
  • Valencia - Can't football. Sold
  • Smalling/Jones - Self explanatory. Sold
  • Rojo - Maybe a squad player. Nothing more.
  • Darmian - Not a football player. Sold.
  • Luke Shaw - Squad player. But shit. Eventually sold.
  • Blind - Squad player.
  • Young - Maybe a squad player. 
  • Carrick - Squad player.
  • Fellaini - LOL. Sold
  • Schweinsteiger - Already Sold by Pep. Sold.
  • Schniederlin - Not even Everton level. Sold.
  • Herrera - Too sloppy with the ball. Sold.
  • Rooney - Can't run. Sold.
  • Martial - Wont run. Sold.
  • Januzaj - LOL. Sold.
  • Mmphis - Literally anti-Pep. Sold.
  • Lingard - Squad player.
  • Mata - Squad player. Can't run. Eventually sold.
  • Rashford - Iheanacho. Sold. 

Pep would have gone to China before taking a look at us with that shower of shit. There's a reason he went to City and never entertained offers from other English clubs. It was already in the works when Moyesball was in full swing. 

So you admit..the squad is shit..

Yes. Mourinho is so anti-smooth sailing that i think this was always going to happen. He has a max 3 year shelf life in any role, and seems to be getting less convincing with each job.

We're up shit creek this year, its going to be an ugly ride