Red4Life

A team built from players from these shores...

7 minutes ago, Red4Life said:

We did not get Shearer, but got Cantona surely. Or is my memory playing tricks.

We were interested in Shearer both before he went to Blackburn and Newcastle. We got a Frenchman and Norwegian instead and I couldn't be happier!

Hmm... I'm kind of ruining my points about British players here¬†ūüėĄ

1 minute ago, Stretford End Phil said:

I never wanted Shearer or Gascoigne but loads of fans did. Many fans said Fergie was finished for not buying them.

At one time, Ralph Milne was Fergie's top British buy. One of those jaw dropping players who could silence the Stretty with his miss kicks.

Ha Ha Ha

I remember the fuss after Teddy signed - "he's too old", "it's too much money for a Spurs has been"

Bet this place would have exploded had it been around then. Mind you, when he missed that penalty at the Lane, I did wonder.

1 hour ago, Stretford End Phil said:

I never wanted Shearer or Gascoigne but loads of fans did. Many fans said Fergie was finished for not buying them.

At one time, Ralph Milne was Fergie's top British buy. One of those jaw dropping players who could silence the Stretty with his miss kicks.

I was more upset we missed Kluivert and Overmars that summer. (96)

Anyway, just for ha-has let's see if we could do it (transfer fee in brackets)

--------------------------------------Johnstone----------------------------------------------

Young----------------Smalling---------Jones----------------------------------Shaw

----------------------------------------Carrick-------------------------------------------------

---------------McTominay----------------------Lingard--------------------------------

Bale (£80M)--------------------Kane (£stupid)---------------------Rashford

On ‚Äé2‚Äé/‚Äé26‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 08:52, Albert Quixall said:

McTominay's improvement over the space of a couple of months has been self-evident. At this time, he is, perhaps, a decent young player, but he played Hazard like a veteran. Fergie, apparently, rates him and you don't get praise higher than that.

Agree with you about Shaw. As for Rashford, I think Martial will leave at the end of this season and Rashford will step up.

In that little fracas, McTominay calmed down the Chelsea player. Its not always about the football where you see a player's maturity.

If he keeps improving as I expect, we wont have to worry about keeping him. He will be here as long as we want him.

3 hours ago, Red4Life said:

In that little fracas, McTominay calmed down the Chelsea player. Its not always about the football where you see a player's maturity.

If he keeps improving as I expect, we wont have to worry about keeping him. He will be here as long as we want him.

Good point.

21 hours ago, Stretford End Phil said:

I did. Gazza was a brilliant player who would have lit the place up. Fergie would have handled him well. Shearer was 30 goals a season guaranteed.

29 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Good point.

I did. Gazza was a brilliant player who would have lit the place up. Fergie would have handled him well. Shearer was 30 goals a season guaranteed.

I agree Fergie would have handled Gazza a lot better.

Shearer from Blackburn, I just felt he was not coming here from the start. He wanted to play for his boytown club. Understandable.

EDIT:

When we did not get Shearer from Southampton, I think there was a board enquiry why we did not get him. Not sure if Fergie was blamed though. Was it about money they wanted?

You and Phil may remember other things.

Edited by Red4Life

44 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Lots of fans did but not for me. It was his behaviour with that ginger twat from TV - it was too much like Best and his fair weather friends who fucked off when he collapsed.

I think difficult players were not a challenge for Fergie, as proven with Cantona, but addiction is beyond the normal bounds of discipline. 

26 minutes ago, Red4Life said:

I agree Fergie would have handled Gazza a lot better.

Shearer from Blackburn, I just felt he was not coming here from the start. He wanted to play for his boytown club. Understandable.

EDIT:

When we did not get Shearer from Southampton, I think there was a board enquiry why we did not get him. Not sure if Fergie was blamed though. Was it about money they wanted?

You and Phil may remember other things.

I think that answers your question?

2 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Lots of fans did but not for me. It was his behaviour with that ginger twat from TV - it was too much like Best and his fair weather friends who fucked off when he collapsed.

I think difficult players were not a challenge for Fergie, as proven with Cantona, but addiction is beyond the normal bounds of discipline. 

Fergie did say Cantona was one of the easiest players he worked with.

As for Gazza, I don't know how far gone he was with drinks. I always though it was his stupid behavior. Lack of discipline.

44 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Cheers Phil.

Will listen at home.

48 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

His addiction didn't properly kick in until much later and was heavily fueled by his experiences in London and Glasgow. With Ferguson he had every chance of becoming one of the best in the world. Will go down in history as one of the worst career moves in football.

You never can tell when addiction has started. In 1991 he was involved in an incident in a nightclub. He wasn’t the only one drinking like Robson, Merson and Adms but he took it to a ridiculous level. Its also forgotten he was taking massive doses of cocaine to quickly pick up from hangovers. He was a bullet we successfully dodged. 

2 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

You never can tell when addiction has started. In 1991 he was involved in an incident in a nightclub. He wasn’t the only one drinking like Robson, Merson and Adms but he took it to a ridiculous level. Its also forgotten he was taking massive doses of cocaine to quickly pick up from hangovers. He was a bullet we successfully dodged. 

3 years after he would have joined us? 

He needed discipline, he may well have ended up an alcoholic mess anyway but there was a decent chance Ferguson would have provided the stability he needed. He also wouldn't have been so far away from his family at such a young age. 

Hardly a dodged bullet either, he either would have made it here or not. It's not like it would have been hard to sell him if Ferguson couldn't control him.

We will never know what might or not have been but it's frightening to think how different events could have turned out had United got Gazza...

Would there have been room for Scholesy to make his breakthrough?

Would we have taken a chance on Cantona or would one maverick in the team have been enough?

Would we still have signed Keane?

I don't think I'd change a thing now if we had the chance to go back.

That cunt Shearer had his chance and by all accounts him coming to United was a done deal.  But that shithouse Dogleash at Blackburn backed by Walkers millions offered him an extra £15 grand a week.    Fergie refused to match it so he never came.  Hence why he always got the "There's only one greedy bastard!!" chants.       Great player don't get me wrong.   But boy did he make a fuckin huge mistake.   And he'll be reminded of it every morning when the greedy shithouse stares at his mantle piece and see's one fuckin medal.

What a gobshite!!

21 minutes ago, gav81 said:

We will never know what might or not have been but it's frightening to think how different events could have turned out had United got Gazza...

Would there have been room for Scholesy to make his breakthrough?

Would we have taken a chance on Cantona or would one maverick in the team have been enough?

Would we still have signed Keane?

I don't think I'd change a thing now if we had the chance to go back.

Sharpe played the fool and was sold - Fergie closed the drinking club - he also patrolled the homes - no way Gascoigne was going to join that regime. 

I would not change any moment in 55 years, the bad bits made us stronger. 

13 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Sharpe played the fool and was sold - Fergie closed the drinking club - he also patrolled the homes - no way Gascoigne was going to join that regime. 

Not even Moyes?¬†ūüėā

14 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Fergie pulled Sharpie by his ear from some party.

Laughed when I heard that.

But Gazza said later he regretted not joining us.

34 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

That cunt Shearer had his chance and by all accounts him coming to United was a done deal.  But that shithouse Dogleash at Blackburn backed by Walkers millions offered him an extra £15 grand a week.    Fergie refused to match it so he never came.  Hence why he always got the "There's only one greedy bastard!!" chants.       Great player don't get me wrong.   But boy did he make a fuckin huge mistake.   And he'll be reminded of it every morning when the greedy shithouse stares at his mantle piece and see's one fuckin medal.

What a gobshite!!

I can understand him picking Newcastle but, in any event, Blackburn refused to do business with United. There was a lot of bad feeling back then that only started to thaw when Berg was signed. The Keane transfer really soured things with Dalglish and Walker but if it were a choice between signing Keane from Forest or Shearer from Blackburn, I'd go for Keano every time.

8 minutes ago, gav81 said:

Not even Moyes? 1f602.png

LOL

Thats the beauty of history, you know the crappy bits have gone. 

I never wanted him but I have thought that if he hadn’t cleared the backroom, not made panic buys and sold Rooney things might have been different. 

1 minute ago, Stretford End Phil said:

LOL

Thats the beauty of history, you know the crappy bits have gone. 

I never wanted him but I have thought that if he hadn’t cleared the backroom, not made panic buys and sold Rooney things might have been different. 

It was a bizarre sequence of events Phil.   Fergie lumps us with a won nothing done nothing manager. His first and only signing was Felliani.  A player that had a buy out clause in his contract of £24 million, yet we paid £28.5??   And Moyes was awarded a six year contract.   Fuckin Fergie winning everything never got offered anything like that??   

Utter and complete fuckin piss take.    And I'm not convinced we've recovered from it yet.

10 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

It was a bizarre sequence of events Phil.   Fergie lumps us with a won nothing done nothing manager. His first and only signing was Felliani.  A player that had a buy out clause in his contract of £24 million, yet we paid £28.5??   And Moyes was awarded a six year contract.   Fuckin Fergie winning everything never got offered anything like that??   

Utter and complete fuckin piss take.    And I'm not convinced we've recovered from it yet.

It was bizarre, more so because Fergie tramps the halls of business schools lecturing on leadership. Surely a sign of superior leadership is to ensure a painless and trouble free change of management.

The maxims Graduates are taught about management is to avoid allowing the boss to write his memoirs, dont let him select his replacement, and don’t build a statue to him while he’s alive. 

Edited by Stretford End Phil

4 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

Good point.

I don't know about that, I've read Gazza's books and by all accounts in mental terms he was suffering from some serious depression related stuff. If I recall correctly his friend died in his arms as a kid - and he had a lot of post traumatic stress, the alcohol and drugs became a coping mechanism.

I think perhaps had he not done his Cruciate in that Cup Final (which he wouldn't have been in, had he have played for us) his career and love of the game may have prevented the alcoholism taking over - but once he lost his ability to play, he was never the same again, mentally and sadly physically. The sad thing is that the awesome talent he possessed was lost.