PVAD

Do you trust Mourinho?

3 hours ago, gav81 said:

"I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition."

~Jose, 2013

"The Europa League is a different competition, the Europa League is a different level of competition for a different level of player and a different level of club. It is not good for a big club to go there and win it."

~Jose, 2015

"This is not a competition that Manchester United wants, it's not a competition I want, it's not a competition the players want."

~Jose, 2016

Perhaps we should have put our efforts into finishing above City and Liverpool to qualify for the CL through the front door.

The europa league was a means to cl qualification, which we fell back on once top four became unlikely. Mourinho might not otherwise see the europa league as a big deal, but winning it meant something to the fans. 

22 minutes ago, John Locke said:

The europa league was a means to cl qualification, which we fell back on once top four became unlikely. Mourinho might not otherwise see the europa league as a big deal, but winning it meant something to the fans. 

Yeah, better than a kick in the balls I guess 😁

3 hours ago, peterswellman said:

Your over-reliance on media quotes is painful to read.

Winning a trophy and qualifying for the CL is always better than simply qualifying for the CL....suggesting otherwise is moronic.

Some on here would actually want that but if we lost that final they would be giving out like crazy about us not being in the CL. You literally cannot win.

Nobody cares about the Europa league, so whether we win or lose is irrelevant, yet we still nearly went out to a side worth about as much as Pogba. Mourinho doesn't get to present it as a triumph after slagging everyone else off for winning it, and it doesn't erase what was a shite league season either, just like Moyes doesn't get to point at his community shield win as a success.

It must be said I'd rather the path we hammer Chelsea next weekend and have a great run in the CL. Finishing this season strong will be a great boost for next season. If things go south with Mou we would've taken three steps back, the club don't need that right now.

48 minutes ago, Mickey Mouse said:

I did include Rashford in that too. 

would prefer Rashford to Martial.

very disapointed with Martail last game.

On 2/14/2018 at 15:48, TFIA said:

The biggest positive I can take from this is that the guys who don't trust Mourinho are also the posters not to be trusted. 

Must be really comforting for you to know that posters that trust Mourinho are doing it with blind faith and no substance.

6 hours ago, adhityaprianda said:

what does 3 man midfield mean?

Based on our usual setup, it would mean swapping out the number ten for a natural midfielder, which in theory should give more control in the centre of the park and release Pogba from so much defensive duty.

It's honestly not been that bad.

There's problems, especially in the big games, but far out the criticism of our season has been so hyperbolic it beggars belief. What City have done will probably not happen again for 10 years.

The Newcastle and Huddersfield results have been terrible. I'll give you that, and the fact we're still not settled into a consistent attacking rhythm is a worry.

Meanwhile we have people praising Liverpool and Spurs, who are no doubt great to watch, but sit behind us and Liverpool in particular are always five seconds from disaster. 

Needs to improve next season, and I think we will. If not, bring in Poch. 

2 hours ago, gav81 said:

Based on our usual setup, it would mean swapping out the number ten for a natural midfielder, which in theory should give more control in the centre of the park and release Pogba from so much defensive duty.

thank you for elaborating, kind sir

I always trust a manager to do his job to the best of his ability. Whether I have faith in the manager, is a different question. I don't believe there exists anything in Mourinho's tenure so far which makes him stand out on either side of the spectrum - either legendary or infamous. He has been distinctly average so far. His highlights have been winning two trophies. On the flip side, our league performances have been far too inconsistent for a club with our ambitions. Our signings are a similar story. Some excellent signings in the case of Bailly but some which have so far been very poor, such as Lindelof. Then the signing of players like Miki- absolutely great on paper but he can't get the best out of him. I also accept his willingness to adapt to the clubs tradition of utilizing its youth players e.g. McTominay, but the cynic in me wonders what will happen to the lad if or when he signs a midfielder. 

I think therefore it is fair to say the jury is still out with him. I find it difficult to have blind faith in him but I also find it difficult to criticise his every move. He has got a lot right I feel, and for many other teams in football this would probably be enough. But we are United. We have lofty ambitions and have spent large quantities of cash to achieve them. Doing a decent job isn't enough. He was hired because we wanted to win the big trophies and he is a winner. I eagerly await to see out the remainder of the season, the FA Cup is still a strong possibility. His third season will, I feel, decide his fate. If we do not challenge for the title, I suspect he may be out of a job. 

Edited by pailo