JJtheRed

Cristiano Ronaldo

1 minute ago, peterswellman said:

Same amount of Balon Dors? There is literally nothing between them but someone’s opinion. Messi fanboys are literally the worst.

I hope you do realise only United and RM fans would have a debate on who's better.

50 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

I was mindful of the distinction in the OP. 

Strong argument for both honours, though. 

I think only Best rivals him in talent, but if you look at what players have achieved and contributed here, he’s up against some pretty tough competition.

6 minutes ago, Ruffneck said:

I hope you do realise only United and RM fans would have a debate on who's better.

While I agree with you, you’re on a hiding to nothing making that argument in this thread.

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

While I agree with you, you’re on a hiding to nothing making that argument in this thread.

That debate will rage on for decades. 

I’m not sure about dismissing the Ballon d’Or, though - it’s the football equivalent of an Oscar (without the xenophobia) 

7 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

That debate will rage on for decades. 

I’m not sure about dismissing the Ballon d’Or, though - it’s the football equivalent of an Oscar (without the xenophobia) 

I agree with @Ruffneck, in that the debate will almost be exclusively between Utd and Madrid fans. 

The Ballon d’Or rarely goes to someone underserving (although don’t get my dad started on Linekar not winning in 1986 being a result of Heysel), certainly less often than Oscars do, so I don’t think it should be discounted, and certainly not over the course of a decade. 

How can you honestly suggest that the guy who has the same amount of Balon D’ors as supposedly the greatest player ever, when he’s been playing at the same time as him isn’t worth consideration? Baffling logic. Ronaldo is right up there, there is fuck all between them. Literally can’t believe this opinion that it’s is undebatable is still raging after all Ronaldo has done.

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I’m reliably informed that one is always bigger than the other, though...

Who’s which is again, up for debate... 

Ronnie is clearly a Diva but Messi isn’t exactly an angel, if stories are to be believed

Just now, butler said:

Ronaldo  did it, at a massive club in the UK,then excelled even further, at another massive club in Spain..Messi has yet to do that..

Ronaldo left United for a bigger club. A more successful club at the very least.

Why would Messi leave Barcelona when he's been part of 4 Champions League winning teams? The only other club near them this century is Real Madrid, and that was never going to happen.

2 minutes ago, O said:

Ronaldo left United for a bigger club. A more successful club at the very least.

Why would Messi leave Barcelona when he's been part of 4 Champions League winning teams? The only other club near them this century is Real Madrid, and that was never going to happen.

Wednesday. Wet. Stoke. 

10 minutes ago, parksey said:

Messi hasn't done it for the national team, whereas Ronaldo top-scored for and coached Portugal to their EUROs win last year.

36249D1A00000578-0-image-a-5_14682395783

Haha. Good one.

Am I a cop out for not being able to choose? I see why so many say one or the other is better... but I just can't separate them? 

@lucretius why is it only utd/madrid fans would even debate it? I appreciate the implication being all others would just assume it's Messi but why would they make that assumption? They're so close I just find it so hard to pick???

2017 Ballon d’Or final standings

1 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), 2 Lionel Messi (Barcelona), 3 Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), 4 Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), 5 Luka Modric (Real Madrid), 6 Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), 7 Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint-Germain), 8 N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea), 9 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), ch), 10 Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur).

4 hours ago, hdcantona said:

Am I a cop out for not being able to choose? I see why so many say one or the other is better... but I just can't separate them? 

@lucretius why is it only utd/madrid fans would even debate it? I appreciate the implication being all others would just assume it's Messi but why would they make that assumption? They're so close I just find it so hard to pick???

not at all,its hard to pick one.for me tho its ronaldo for reasons expected.

1 hour ago, The Spanish Inquisitor said:

2017 Ballon d’Or final standings

1 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), 2 Lionel Messi (Barcelona), 3 Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), 4 Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), 5 Luka Modric (Real Madrid), 6 Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), 7 Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint-Germain), 8 N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea), 9 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), ch), 10 Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur).

wow how can harry kane be 10th on that list should be at least 5th imo.

8 hours ago, hdcantona said:

I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t a Utd fan who thought Ronaldo was better. Obviously not scientific, but that’s based on talking to people from a wide range of countries. Most actually seem surprised that I think it’s as close as it is.

16 hours ago, lucretius said:

I agree that his CL record is rididiculous, but how can someone draw level with someone else to become unequivocally the greatest?

When I say "He's now.." I don't mean on the back of the recent Ballon D'Or, while a relevant and deserving award it's a flawed way of judging a career legacy.

These two are the first headline stars of the social media age, so long after they both retire, you won't hear one name without the other following shortly after.

But if you remove that and just judge Ronaldo's individual achievements, its staggering. I do think dominating and winning everything in two different leagues and cultures is important. On a continental level, he's unrivalled. His scoring record is insane and back to back Champions Leagues is one of the greatest achievements in the history of the game. And to top it all off he has a major international tournament under his belt, his country's first and only, which is always definitive when looking back on past players.

None of these have to diminish what Messi has or will continue to achieve, but what Ronaldo has done is staggering and unmatched.

Edited by SimplyGiggs

12 hours ago, O said:

To prove he is as good as Ronaldo..he would need to do it for another team..Messi has always had a great team around him..whereas Ronaldo proved himself in the UK ,under extreme circumstances. .well that's my opinion. and for me Ronaldo just pips it.

5 hours ago, butler said:

To prove he is as good as Ronaldo..he would need to do it for another team..Messi has always had a great team around him..whereas Ronaldo proved himself in the UK ,under extreme circumstances. .well that's my opinion. and for me Ronaldo just pips it.

And Ronaldo didnt? Right now he plays for one of the best squads of all time.

Would love to see him alongside Rakitic, Paulinho or Sergi Roberto instead of Modric, Kroos and Isco...

1 hour ago, Ruffneck said:

And Ronaldo didnt? Right now he plays for one of the best squads of all time.

Would love to see him alongside Rakitic, Paulinho or Sergi Roberto instead of Modric, Kroos and Isco...

What did he have around him at United if your comparing it too the Real side..plus the argument has no legs..as Ronaldo has become bigger than Real Madrid. .not many player's can claim that accolade.

Edited by butler

22 minutes ago, butler said:

What did he have around him at United if your comparing it too the Real side..plus the argument has no legs..as Ronaldo has become bigger than Real Madrid. .not many player's can claim that accolade.

Eh, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Nani, Scholes and Carrick.