JJtheRed

Cristiano Ronaldo

Firstly, how in the name of Fuck Danny Drinkwater has a thread in this section, but a guy in with a shout of being our best ever player doesn’t is beyond me...

Secondly, just the 5 Ballon d’Or titles now... Level with Messi. Not bad for an ‘athlete’ 

2 hours ago, JJtheRed said:

Firstly, how in the name of Fuck Danny Drinkwater has a thread in this section, but a guy in with a shout of being our best ever player doesn’t is beyond me...

Secondly, just the 5 Ballon d’Or titles now... Level with Messi. Not bad for an ‘athlete’ 

Who says he's an 'athlete'? Would walk into any United side I've ever seen and maybe even the Babes themselves.

8 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Who says he's an 'athlete'? Would walk into any United side I've ever seen and maybe even the Babes themselves.

There is no maybe. 

Not even close to a maybe. Any United team, any era, ever.

19 minutes ago, rezzy said:

There is no maybe. 

Not even close to a maybe. Any United team, any era, ever.

Disagree. We saw the best of Ronaldo for what, 3 years? Even his last season was a bit meh until around February. Turned it on in Europe. Wanted out a year earlier, and it showed. Dropped from 42 goals to 26.

You could make a case for Beckham over Ronaldo based on longevity alone. 

What Ronaldo has done at Real is simply sensational. They saw his peak years. We set him on his way.

10 hours ago, O said:

Disagree. We saw the best of Ronaldo for what, 3 years? Even his last season was a bit meh until around February. Turned it on in Europe. Wanted out a year earlier, and it showed. Dropped from 42 goals to 26.

What Ronaldo has done at Real is simply sensational. They saw his peak years. We set him on his way.

What does that have to do with whether or not he'd walk into any team we've ever fielded?

1 hour ago, aardvarked said:

What does that have to do with whether or not he'd walk into any team we've ever fielded?

An all time XI is not based on ability alone, or at least shouldn’t. Otherwise McGrath would make the team.

1 hour ago, O said:

An all time XI is not based on ability alone, or at least shouldn’t. Otherwise McGrath would make the team.

Well he wouldn't because Rio and Vidic were clearly better to anyone but the Irish and Villa fans. Ronaldo gave us 3 years then performed to an even higher level elsewhere. As obvious an inclusion as Best. 

19 minutes ago, aardvarked said:

Well he wouldn't because Rio and Vidic were clearly better to anyone but the Irish and Villa fans. Ronaldo gave us 3 years then performed to an even higher level elsewhere. As obvious an inclusion as Best. 

Maybe you should ask Ian Rush or any United fan who watched United during the 80’s.

22 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Crazy how he's won 4 of the last 5 Ballon D'ors.

It's basically decided based on who won The Champions League:

• 2008 - United & Ronaldo
  • 2009 - Barcelona & Messi
  • 2010 - Ronaldo injured, Messi outscores him comfortably
  • 2011 - Barcelona & Messi
  • 2012 - Messi scores a career best 73 goals. Clear winner
  • 2013 - Ronaldo scores 55 goals, but wins nothing. Messi scores 60 and wins La Liga. Wrong decision.
  • 2014 - Madrid & Ronaldo
  • 2015 - Barcelona & Messi win a treble
  • 2016 - Ronaldo & Madrid
  • 2017 - Ronaldo & Madrid. Ronaldo destroys Bayern, Atlético and Juventus. 

You would have to say that both deserved every win, bar Ronaldo in 2013.

16 hours ago, O said:

Im not talking about his time at United. I'm talking about his time over his whole career.

Just like Messi would walk into any United team ever.

I'm not capping him solely on his time at United.

The original comment i replied to never specified whether it was regarding his time at United, and just the fact he would walk into any United team.

Edited by rezzy

49 minutes ago, rezzy said:

Im not talking about his time at United. I'm talking about his time over his whole career.

Just like Messi would walk into any United team ever.

I'm not capping him solely on his time at United.

The original comment i replied to never specified whether it was regarding his time at United, and just the fact he would walk into any United team.

If I select a United team and don’t put him in it, your point dies with me. Unlucky.

In fairness to Ronaldo in 08/09, he missed pre season and more importantly, we changed his position. He no longer had the freedom to roam to the same degree as we played a much more rigid system with him firmly on the right and Berbatov behind Rooney. 07/08 we had Ronaldo on the wing with Tevez behind Rooney but it was much more fluid and interchangeable. That explains his goal tally reduction.

Edited by TheManc

8 minutes ago, TheManc said:

In fairness to Ronaldo in 08/09, he missed pre season and more importantly, we changed his position. He no longer had the freedom to roam to the same degree as we played a much more rigid system with him firmly on the right and Berbatov behind Rooney. 07/08 we had Ronaldo on the wing with Tevez behind Rooney but it was much more fluid and interchangeable. That explains his goal tally reduction.

Nah.

He might not be our greatest ever player, but I definitely think he's the best player to have played for us. An unbelievably driven individual, whose single minded determination to be the very best that he could is so impressive that it more or less overshadows all the cringey shit.

20 hours ago, SimplyGiggs said:

Has now unequivocally secured his status as the greatest player of all time. His Champions League record is absolutely diabolical.

I agree that his CL record is rididiculous, but how can someone draw level with someone else to become unequivocally the greatest?

2 minutes ago, Ruffneck said:

Only United and RM fans would argue Ronaldo is better. It's sad what fanatism does to football.

Same amount of Balon Dors? There is literally nothing between them but someone’s opinion. Messi fanboys are literally the worst.