What Movies Are You Watching Right Now?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inception   (9.5/10)     Took me a long time to finally get to see this, but it was well worth the wait. Amazing effects, great story(ies) and good acting too. Managed to stay with the changes and

I watched 'The Truman Show' the other day for the very first time, and fucking loved it. 

Moon (2009) - I love films like this, underrated (might not be just only one person has ever suggested it to me) and very interesting. It has Kevin Spacey (voice) and Sam Rockwell who I love. I   f

12 hours ago, TFIA said:

I think it was good enough but it definitely didn't need to be 3 hours long. 

The cinematography was enthralling enough to justify the runtime but I guess the stadium scenes were a bit over the top and could've been cut short a bit.

The detective stuff was a slow burner which is exactly how I like Batman to be. If you were to cut short the movie by, say, 30-45 minutes then we would miss out on a lot of character building and tension.

Nolan's Batman movies also had similar runtime, right? I may be remembering it wrong though.

On 17/04/2022 at 07:44, Burns92 said:

The Batman is incredible! Go watch it while you still can.

In my opinion, this is the best Batman till date. Even better than Batman Begins. Fantastic plot, OST and an acting masterclass by Pattinson.

Thought it was 7/10 at best.

It's a big improvement on the most recent DC films but still had all of the same problems - it's farcically long, too many characters/plot ideas, poor dialogue. Looks great, though. Some of the scenes were amazing. 

I thought it also took a lot of cues from The Dark Knight, which is doesn't hold a candle to.

Edited by parksey

The Northman - 8.5/10

Another hit for Eggers after The Lighthouse. It's a relatively simplistic plot about revenge, but the way it was executed made it so engaging. The dialogues, soundtrack, camera and acting were all on point.

9 hours ago, parksey said:

Thought it was 7/10 at best.

It's a big improvement on the most recent DC films but still had all of the same problems - it's farcically long, too many characters/plot ideas, poor dialogue. Looks great, though. Some of the scenes were amazing. 

I thought it also took a lot of cues from The Dark Knight, which is doesn't hold a candle to.

I didn't feel the length that much but maybe I had already made up my mind that I will like this movie solely based on the trailers and the people that were involved in this, I don't know.

I haven't seen any of the other garbage made by DC tbh, so I'm with you on that. I thought the dialogues were pretty good, which parts are you referring to specifically that you thought were poor?

If I'm being pedantic here then I'd say TDK had some glaring plot holes too. The action scenes in that were poor for the most part, as Nolan was notorious for not being able to direct action in those times. It was only in Dunkirk I'd say he honed that craft, until then most of his action sequences were hit or miss.

On a general level, I don't think this movie can compete against TDK, but personally to me it did because of what I always thought of Batman as.

Edited by Burns92
13 hours ago, Burns92 said:

The Northman - 8.5/10

Another hit for Eggers after The Lighthouse. It's a relatively simplistic plot about revenge, but the way it was executed made it so engaging. The dialogues, soundtrack, camera and acting were all on point.

I didn't feel the length that much but maybe I had already made up my mind that I will like this movie solely based on the trailers and the people that were involved in this, I don't know.

I haven't seen any of the other garbage made by DC tbh, so I'm with you on that. I thought the dialogues were pretty good, which parts are you referring to specifically that you thought were poor?

If I'm being pedantic here then I'd say TDK had some glaring plot holes too. The action scenes in that were poor for the most part, as Nolan was notorious for not being able to direct action in those times. It was only in Dunkirk I'd say he honed that craft, until then most of his action sequences were hit or miss.

On a general level, I don't think this movie can compete against TDK, but personally to me it did because of what I always thought of Batman as.

I think it was just the expository dialogue that was used too much especially when it came to the Riddler's clues. A few of the characters were reduced to talking heads, especially Gordon, who would just say really obvious things. I can't really remember off the top of my head what they were. 

I don't think there were too many glaring plot holes but it was more just lots of scenes and plotlines that were pointless and added to the length of the movie. As good as Farrell was as Penguin, he was seemingly only really in this movie to set up the TV spin off.

Anyway, I enjoyed it overall but found myself rolling my eyes and laughing pretty often.

10 Rillington Place. True crime film about the London murderer, John Christie. John Hurt is brilliant and the poor, illiterate Welshman, Timothy Evans, who was framed for the murder of his wife and child by Christie, and was hanged. A disturbing film about an ordinary-looking man who killed woman and buried them in the walls and under the floorboards of his house at 10 Rillington Place. Christie himself was eventually caught and hanged in Pentonville Prison. Evans received a posthumous pardon. A very atmospheric period piece.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2022 at 14:02, Deez Nutz said:

Death on the Nile, Kenneth Branagh version, even the gorgeous Gal Gadot could not save this awful version, don't waste your time.

the one with Peter Ustinov and David Niven was far better. I saw Branagh's version of Murder on the Orient Express too, which was just as bad, The TV version with David Suchet was superior in every aspect bar cinematography, but you'd expect that. I don't get Branagh. He made an awful version of Henry V back in the day which was greatly inferior to Olivier's 1944 version, filmed under wartime restrictions. Shakespeare starts by telling the audience that their own imaginations must transport them to Agincourt, whereas Branagh tried to do the opposite and used great location shots to mask poor acting.

ps. In case you;re thinking I don't like Branagh, you'd be right. I was dragged to see the awful, puke-making drivel known as 'Peter's Friends' back in the 90s. It made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Edited by Albert Quixall
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Cole said:

Candyman (2021) - 5/10.

It's filmed very well but the blatant social issues being thrown into most scenes were poor. I expected more from Nia DaCosta given how well she did with Top Boy.

Threw off the whole flow. 
Also; not remotely scary. 

• 3 weeks later...

finally had some free time to watch Dune [2021]. didn't impress me. great cgi and action scenes but weak Paul character (zoomer boy!) and even weaker Paul's mom. definitely better than Lynch's version but still couldn't bring the essence of the book to viewers. 6.5/10

1 hour ago, utd4life said:

finally had some free time to watch Dune [2021]. didn't impress me. great cgi and action scenes but weak Paul character (zoomer boy!) and even weaker Paul's mom. definitely better than Lynch's version but still couldn't bring the essence of the book to viewers. 6.5/10

Massive let down 

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, utd4life said:

Another Round [2020] : 8/10

now that's a fun movie to watch. but it's not only fun bit thoughtful as well. Mads is a great actor and in a league of his own and watching him again was a amazing. great story and good direction.

Is that the one with the teachers drinking? I watched that with english subs - very enjoyable 

One Armed Swordsman [1967]: 7.5/10

could be the earliest use of ropes in action movies but i don't know for sure. for its time a very good sword movie mixed. 

On 02/08/2022 at 16:13, hdcantona said:

Is that the one with the teachers drinking? I watched that with english subs - very enjoyable 

yes that's the one.