Fordie

What Movies Are You Watching Right Now?

22 minutes ago, utd4life said:

Since i'm watching only samurai movies i'm gonna watch them later. though i have watched half of those you mentioned. Kwaidan is one of my favorite jap movies.

re-watched Hitokiri (1969). it's based on a true story and according to info i found in a forum it's exactly based on what happened and at the time many critics found the ending to be boring.

Good movie that with two of my favourite actors: Shintaro Katsu and Tatsuya Nakadai. Check out Kill! which is very good and contains some dark humour. Also Adauchi (Revenge) with Kinnosuke Nakamura. Then there's 'The Sleepy Eyes of Death" series with Raizo Ichikawa as Nemuri Kyoshiro, the full-moon swordsman. If that isn't enough, you can watch him in the Shinobi no Mono Ninja series.

There's all kinds of odd stuff out there. Tomisaburo Wakayama (Itto Ogami from the Lone Wolf and Cub films) playing a reprobate monk in Wicked Priest and his brother, Shintaro Katsu as 'The Hoodlum Soldier' set in China during the Japanese occupation.

2 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

Glorfindel put Frodo on his horse and commanded him bear him across the Ford of Bruinen. Glorfindel then joined Aragorn and the remaining Hobbits on the near side where they kindled fire to drive off any Nazgul that survived the flood. If you read the appendices, there's the story of Glorfindel and the Witch King and the prediction made by him that he would not be killed by man.

I don't know about Bombadil and Goldberry. He is a figure from the past known by all by different names. I suppose Tolkien didn't really develop him as a major character but he did save the Hobbits in the Old Forest and later took care of the lost ponies from Bree. Perhaps he was there just to give us a glimpse in to the far past of ME but who knows. Arwen gets far too much of a role in Jackson's film and much of it superfluous.

As for The Hobbit. That was largely a dud. Even Ian McKellen couldn't save it from mediocrity.

Yeah I've read the first book and I've read some lore on Glorfindel too, like how he faced a Balrog like Gandalf, is almost as powerful as the Maia etc.  I thought the Arwen stuff was done well tbh, but each to their own. I didn't have any source material to compare it to at the time though.

Edited by TheManc

21 hours ago, TheManc said:

Yeah I've read the first book and I've read some lore on Glorfindel too, like how he faced a Balrog like Gandalf, is almost as powerful as the Maia etc.  I thought the Arwen stuff was done well tbh, but each to their own. I didn't have any source material to compare it to at the time though.

The appendices to LOTR are another book entirely. Arwen's character gets expanded in The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. She is certainly not a warrior and neither was Luthien, who married Beren and also forsook the immortal life. In The Fellowship, it is Glorfindel who is sent by Elrond to find Frodo in the wilderness because he is one of the few elves capable of taking on the Witch King. But Gandalf rejects him as a walker, taking Merry and Pippin instead when Elrond was against the idea.

On 24/03/2020 at 22:40, Albert Quixall said:

The appendices to LOTR are another book entirely. Arwen's character gets expanded in The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. She is certainly not a warrior and neither was Luthien, who married Beren and also forsook the immortal life. In The Fellowship, it is Glorfindel who is sent by Elrond to find Frodo in the wilderness because he is one of the few elves capable of taking on the Witch King. But Gandalf rejects him as a walker, taking Merry and Pippin instead when Elrond was against the idea.

one of the annoying things in the movies was absence of Glorfindel and unnecessary Arwen character. Peter Jackson showed in The Hobbit he can even be more despicable by creating a character out of his fat ass because it would have been too masculine. well fuck you pete for ruining a good fantasy because "muh gender politics".

re-watched The Fall (2006) by Tarsem Singh. Magnificent ... Magestic ...

On 29/03/2020 at 06:52, utd4life said:

one of the annoying things in the movies was absence of Glorfindel and unnecessary Arwen character. Peter Jackson showed in The Hobbit he can even be more despicable by creating a character out of his fat ass because it would have been too masculine. well fuck you pete for ruining a good fantasy because "muh gender politics".

re-watched The Fall (2006) by Tarsem Singh. Magnificent ... Magestic ...

The Hobbit was awful. Three films out of a short-ish book was way over the top. I wonder what he'll do if he ever gets round to making a film of The Silmarillion.

Bolg and Azog were mentioned in the appendices of LOTR which dealt with the war between Dwarves and Orcs. Azog was killed at Moria by (I think) Dain Ironfoot in the same battle that Thorin earned the name 'Oakenshield'. Bolg, his son, led the Orcs to the Lonely Mountain but was killed in battle by Beorn. There was no 'pale orc' as Jackson depicted. Legolas did not appear either but his father did.

I understand that Jackson was trying to create a film that people would watch and that he is fixated with CGI battles and improbable mounts (a pig and a stag FFS), but you're right; he did go all PC.

Watched 'The Big Sleep' last night. I hope nobody ever tries to re-make that. 'The Maltese Falcon' is on today (ditto) and, I think, the original 'Cape Fear.' After that, it's old Hammer films starting with Dracula.

Edited by Albert Quixall

4 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

The Hobbit was awful. Three films out of a short-ish book was way over the top. I wonder what he'll do if he ever gets round to making a film of The Silmarillion.

Bolg and Azog were mentioned in the appendices of LOTR which dealt with the war between Dwarves and Orcs. Azog was killed at Moria by (I think) Dain Ironfoot in the same battle that Thorin earned the name 'Oakenshield'. Bolg, his son, led the Orcs to the Lonely Mountain but was killed in battle by Beorn. There was no 'pale orc' as Jackson depicted. Legolas did not appear either but his father did.

I understand that Jackson was trying to create a film that people would watch and that he is fixated with CGI battles and improbable mounts (a pig and a stag FFS), but you're right; he did go all PC.

Watched 'The Big Sleep' last night. I hope nobody ever tries to re-make that. 'The Maltese Falcon' is on today (ditto) and, I think, the original 'Cape Fear.' After that, it's old Hammer films starting with Dracula.

I hope he never does. 

3 great movies. watched the whole Hammer films (Dracula, Frankenstein and Mummy collection) 2 months ago. for me Dracula series were the best and Mummy the worst. 

1 hour ago, utd4life said:

I hope he never does. 

3 great movies. watched the whole Hammer films (Dracula, Frankenstein and Mummy collection) 2 months ago. for me Dracula series were the best and Mummy the worst. 

Me too. I heard he was re-making The Dambusters, but that was a few years ago. I wonder who he would cast in the role of Guy Gibson? You just know that Jackson's aircrew would not reflect those of 619 Squadron.

Hammer did some good stuff. Anything with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in it is normally a safe bet (with a cameo from Michael Ripper of course). Did you ever see Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter? It was a later offering written by Brian Clemens (who wrote The Avengers and The Professionals). It's on YouTube in its entirety and is worth it for Caroline Munro alone. 

20 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

Me too. I heard he was re-making The Dambusters, but that was a few years ago. I wonder who he would cast in the role of Guy Gibson? You just know that Jackson's aircrew would not reflect those of 619 Squadron.

Hammer did some good stuff. Anything with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in it is normally a safe bet (with a cameo from Michael Ripper of course). Did you ever see Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter? It was a later offering written by Brian Clemens (who wrote The Avengers and The Professionals). It's on YouTube in its entirety and is worth it for Caroline Munro alone. 

again a good movie The Dambusters was.

I haven't seen Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter but i will. this is the youtube link:

Watched 'A Fistful of Dynamite' with Rod Steiger and James Coburn. Coburn plays an IRA explosives man who finds himself in Mexico at the time of the Mexican revolution. One of Sergio Leone's lesser-known films but a good one for all that. I should probably watch 'Once Upon A Time In The West'  again just to see Henry Fonda playing the baddie.