Fordie

What Movies Are You Watching Right Now?

On 13/01/2020 at 22:14, Albert Quixall said:

On to the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' series again. Brilliant action, lots of dismembered bodies as Itto Ogami, formerly the Shogun's executioner,  pushes his son's baby cart across Japan pursued by his enemies. 500 ryo for a killing, and he's your man.

Where are you even finding these films? Got them stored on VHS? 😚

I've not watched anything since Joker. Couple of Netflix films like Marriage Story, but nothing to write home about. Nothing has really grabbed my interest for ages. 

I do want to see 1917 mind.

1 hour ago, Juanderful said:

Where are you even finding these films? Got them stored on VHS? 😚

I've not watched anything since Joker. Couple of Netflix films like Marriage Story, but nothing to write home about. Nothing has really grabbed my interest for ages. 

I do want to see 1917 mind.

I have a lot of Japanese DVDs, amongst others. But you can see a good selection on JPFilms Online. https://jpfilms.online/

Edited by Albert Quixall

On 16/01/2020 at 15:48, TFIA said:

Seen 1917 today.

If ever a movie was all style and no substance it’s this. Trash.

My paternal grandfather was in Belgium in 1917 with the Manchester Regiment. He used to tell me how one of their sergeants won a VC by charging a German machine gun nest and killing some snipers.

Just watched 'The Sea and Poison'. It's a harrowing film about Unit 731, a Japanese military outfit that co-opted medical professionals to carry out vivisection on live American POWs. A few stood trial after the war and were hanged but, surprisingly, many were pardoned by General MacArthur and went on to live to old age. Well worth a watch.

The Last Samurai, Kenji Misume's last epic from 1974 (the one with Tom Cruise was utter rubbish). Misumi died not long after completing the film which is set at the cusp of the Meiji Restoration in Japan and is about the lives of four men on opposing sides of the conflict seen through the eyes of one samurai - Toranosuke Sugi (played by Hideki Takahashi). 

I rewatched LOTR, extended edition this week. Still my favourite trilogy of all time. They were made 20 years ago yet still look as though they were made today. The music is something else, too.

I hope whoever did the music is also working with the Amazon team for the new series.

Edited by TheManc

18 hours ago, TheManc said:

I rewatched LOTR, extended edition this week. Still my favourite trilogy of all time. They were made 20 years ago yet still look as though they were made today. The music is something else, too.

I hope whoever did the music is also working with the Amazon team for the new series.

I have that edition too. It's enjoyable but, pedant that I am, I find myself picking up the inconsistencies with the book.

On 20/03/2020 at 06:01, Albert Quixall said:

The Last Samurai, Kenji Misume's last epic from 1974 (the one with Tom Cruise was utter rubbish). Misumi died not long after completing the film which is set at the cusp of the Meiji Restoration in Japan and is about the lives of four men on opposing sides of the conflict seen through the eyes of one samurai - Toranosuke Sugi (played by Hideki Takahashi). 

The one with Tom Cruise is a bait I tell you. The first time I watched it when I was 13, I had no idea about the historical context and the issues the movie was trying to address so I ended up thinking it was a brilliant fucking movie with a great score from Zimmer (still is).

I actually still think that most things in the film are really well made, barring the plot. Once you learn history and read up a little, it pisses you off on how far away from reality these people in Hollywood are sometimes.

I'd give one thing though, the director has an exceptional ability to portray love stories like no other; there is no intimacy between the lovers but you can just feel it so good. He did the same thing in Blood Diamond a few years later.

On 20/03/2020 at 06:10, TheManc said:

I read and watch the movies at least once a year, haha. Once you watch and experience the extended edition, there is no way you can watch the theatrical version of the films, I mean no way.

I liked the first one more than the others because it was less action packed and closer to the books, but I can't deny the fact that one of the greatest scenes in film history is when Rohan arrives in RoTK. The camera work and soundtrack in that scene are just something else! I'd say it is way, way better than the scene from Endgame where everyone arrives back on Earth.

On 19/03/2020 at 22:31, Albert Quixall said:

I've gone full samurai cinema in the last 2 weeks. started with Zatoichi series then Kurusawa's samurai movies and right now i'm going random:

Love and Honor (2007)

Sword of the Beast (1965)

Harakiri (1962) and the remake Ichimei (2011)

The Hidden Blade

Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)

The 47 Ronin (1941)

The Gate of Hell (1953)

and the 3 movies with similar stories know as Samurai Revolution Trilogy (Kudo Eiichi):

Juusan-nin no shikaku / The Thirteen Assassins (1963) [and remake 13 Assassins (2010)]
Dai satsujin / The Great Duel (1964)
Ju-ichinin no samurai / Eleven Samurai (1966)

i have yet to watch Hiroshi Inagaki's trilogy but they're in my list.

16 hours ago, Burns92 said:

The one with Tom Cruise is a bait I tell you. The first time I watched it when I was 13, I had no idea about the historical context and the issues the movie was trying to address so I ended up thinking it was a brilliant fucking movie with a great score from Zimmer (still is).

I actually still think that most things in the film are really well made, barring the plot. Once you learn history and read up a little, it pisses you off on how far away from reality these people in Hollywood are sometimes.

I'd give one thing though, the director has an exceptional ability to portray love stories like no other; there is no intimacy between the lovers but you can just feel it so good. He did the same thing in Blood Diamond a few years later.

I read and watch the movies at least once a year, haha. Once you watch and experience the extended edition, there is no way you can watch the theatrical version of the films, I mean no way.

I liked the first one more than the others because it was less action packed and closer to the books, but I can't deny the fact that one of the greatest scenes in film history is when Rohan arrives in RoTK. The camera work and soundtrack in that scene are just something else! I'd say it is way, way better than the scene from Endgame where everyone arrives back on Earth.

Yeah the Rohan scene is amazing. I also love the beacons being lit and a load of others. I used to rank then 3>2>1 but I've done a complete flip on that now. I love the fellowship journey of the first with the places you visit. Plus the bridge scene in Moria is amazing.

When I was younger, Aragorn was my guy but Borimir has completely overtaken him now.

Edited by TheManc

49 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Yeah the Rohan scene is amazing. I also love the beacons being lit and a load of others. I used to rank then 3>2>1 but I've done a complete flip on that now. I love the fellowship journey of the first with the places you visit. Plus the bridge scene in Moria is amazing.

When I was younger, Aragorn was my guy but Borimir has completely overtaken him now.

Really? 1 was always by far the best. 3 is trash in comparison.

59 minutes ago, O said:

Really? 1 was always by far the best. 3 is trash in comparison.

I mean when they first came out, 3 was my favourite. I love all 3 tbf. #2 actually became my fav for a while as well. I've probably seen them all about 50 times. 

Shame they ruined the Hobbit with the stupid CGI.

1 minute ago, TheManc said:

I mean when they first came out, 3 was my favourite. I love all 3 tbf. #2 actually became my fav for a while as well. I've probably seen them all about 50 times. 

Shame they ruined the Hobbit with the stupid CGI.

I kind of hate 2 now. I don't like the amount of CGI in 3 either. The dead army, etc.

The Fellowship is perfection. It's probably still my favourite trilogy.

Just now, O said:

I kind of hate 2 now. I don't like the amount of CGI in 3 either. The dead army, etc.

The Fellowship is perfection. It's probably still my favourite trilogy.

What's wrong with 2? I love the Helms Deep battle, plus the ents, Saruman building his army etc. I'm kind of addicted to a YT channel called History of Middle Earth atm which has constant 5-10 min vids on the lore/history of the world/characters.

Edited by TheManc

What's wrong with 2? I love the Helms Deep battle, plus the ents, Saruman building his army etc. I'm kind of addicted to a YT channel called History of Middle Earth atm which has constant 5-10 min vids on the lore/history of the world/characters.

Too much Merry and Pippin. Treebeard. Drags.

Just now, O said:

Too much Merry and Pippin. Treebeard. Drags.

The Ents fighting back against Saruman is one of the highlights of the trilogy imo.

Saruman's death in the extended edition is a bit lame but I guess they had to finish him off some way if they weren't gonna follow the book. Though that's film 3.

The Ents fighting back against Saruman is one of the highlights of the trilogy imo.

Saruman's death in the extended edition is a bit lame but I guess they had to finish him off some way if they weren't gonna follow the book. Though that's film 3.

I like the battle scene but don't like the scenes with Merry and Pippin trying to convince him. 

8 hours ago, TheManc said:

Haha I know what you mean. The beacon scene is just pure adrenaline! I have always ranked them 1 > 2 > 3, but sometimes I like 2 more than 1 tbh. I always think about the reaction of the audience during the Moria bridge scene, especially when Gandalf says 'To the Bridge of Khazad-Dum!' and it is followed by the fellowship theme. Imagine being able to experience that in the cinemas, I wish I could have.

Boromir has always been my guy, I didn't like Legolas and Aragorn that much at first because they get too many heroic scenes but it's alright with me now.

5 hours ago, TheManc said:

I love that channel, but if you can then check out Men of the West on too. A lot of lore explored there, and if you aren't into Silmarillion and other extended works then these channels are just your thing.

Have you seen the behind the scene video where Christopher Lee teaches Peter Jackson on how someone being stabbed in the back would die? Haha, he just stumps him with his knowledge because he has actually killed someone during the war by stabbing in the back.

Helms Deep was too long. Moreover, Jackson took too many liberties with it. There were no elves there, Eomer and his men were amongst the defenders , and it was the Huorns with help from Gandalf and the survivors from the Fords of Isen who lifted the siege.

The only other major point is why Jackson made Aragorn into a reluctant king who had to be coerced by the death of Boromir and by Elrond into agreeing to it. In the book, the broken sword was re-forged before the nine left Rivendell. Aragorn's whole mission was to defeat Sauron and take his seat in Minas Tirith. Oh, and Arwen. I get the love interest bit but she steals Glorfindel's glory at the ford of Bruinen.

If they filmed the Scouring of the Shire, it would have to be four films. They could have at least put in Tom Bombadil, even as a cameo.

On 22/03/2020 at 07:48, utd4life said:

I've gone full samurai cinema in the last 2 weeks. started with Zatoichi series then Kurusawa's samurai movies and right now i'm going random:

Love and Honor (2007)

Sword of the Beast (1965)

Harakiri (1962) and the remake Ichimei (2011)

The Hidden Blade

Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)

The 47 Ronin (1941)

The Gate of Hell (1953)

and the 3 movies with similar stories know as Samurai Revolution Trilogy (Kudo Eiichi):

Juusan-nin no shikaku / The Thirteen Assassins (1963) [and remake 13 Assassins (2010)]
Dai satsujin / The Great Duel (1964)
Ju-ichinin no samurai / Eleven Samurai (1966)

i have yet to watch Hiroshi Inagaki's trilogy but they're in my list.

All good stuff. You should check out Kurosawa's non-samurai films too, Stray Dog, Drunken Angel, Ikiru, and High and Low are brilliant. The Bad Sleep Well is also a good thriller.

You don't mention Kobayashi's works except for Hara Kiri but IMHO, he ranks alongside Kurosawa. The Human Condition trilogy is excellent. Kwaidan is his interpretation of four classic Japanese ghost stories (Hoichi the Earless being the pick of them) and the little-known Inn of Evil, which is badly translated from "At the Risk of my Life". Shintaro Katsu steals it with his portrayal of a drunk whose story, when finally revealed, is heartbreaking. 

9 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

Helms Deep was too long. Moreover, Jackson took too many liberties with it. There were no elves there, Eomer and his men were amongst the defenders , and it was the Huorns with help from Gandalf and the survivors from the Fords of Isen who lifted the siege.

The only other major point is why Jackson made Aragorn into a reluctant king who had to be coerced by the death of Boromir and by Elrond into agreeing to it. In the book, the broken sword was re-forged before the nine left Rivendell. Aragorn's whole mission was to defeat Sauron and take his seat in Minas Tirith. Oh, and Arwen. I get the love interest bit but she steals Glorfindel's glory at the ford of Bruinen.

If they filmed the Scouring of the Shire, it would have to be four films. They could have at least put in Tom Bombadil, even as a cameo.

I was reading/listening to videos about Glorfindel, he sounds amazing, at least power wise. I have read most of the first book and Tom Bombadil irritated me so I don't care that he wasn't there. I loved the elves helping at HD even if it wasn't from the book. It's not like the elves (and dwarves) weren't fighting battles elsewhere so I had no problem with it tbh. It made for a great scene.

Arwen's chase in film 1 was also great imo.

I was reading/listening to videos about Glorfindel, he sounds amazing, at least power wise. I have read most of the first book and Tom Bombadil irritated me so I don't care that he wasn't there. I loved the elves helping at HD even if it wasn't from the book. It's not like the elves (and dwarves) weren't fighting battles elsewhere so I had no problem with it tbh. It made for a great scene.

Arwen's chase in film 1 was also great imo.

Glorfindel put Frodo on his horse and commanded him bear him across the Ford of Bruinen. Glorfindel then joined Aragorn and the remaining Hobbits on the near side where they kindled fire to drive off any Nazgul that survived the flood. If you read the appendices, there's the story of Glorfindel and the Witch King and the prediction made by him that he would not be killed by man.

I don't know about Bombadil and Goldberry. He is a figure from the past known by all by different names. I suppose Tolkien didn't really develop him as a major character but he did save the Hobbits in the Old Forest and later took care of the lost ponies from Bree. Perhaps he was there just to give us a glimpse in to the far past of ME but who knows. Arwen gets far too much of a role in Jackson's film and much of it superfluous.

As for The Hobbit. That was largely a dud. Even Ian McKellen couldn't save it from mediocrity.

Edited by Albert Quixall

6 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

All good stuff. You should check out Kurosawa's non-samurai films too, Stray Dog, Drunken Angel, Ikiru, and High and Low are brilliant. The Bad Sleep Well is also a good thriller.

You don't mention Kobayashi's works except for Hara Kiri but IMHO, he ranks alongside Kurosawa. The Human Condition trilogy is excellent. Kwaidan is his interpretation of four classic Japanese ghost stories (Hoichi the Earless being the pick of them) and the little-known Inn of Evil, which is badly translated from "At the Risk of my Life". Shintaro Katsu steals it with his portrayal of a drunk whose story, when finally revealed, is heartbreaking. 

Since i'm watching only samurai movies i'm gonna watch them later. though i have watched half of those you mentioned. Kwaidan is one of my favorite jap movies.

re-watched Hitokiri (1969). it's based on a true story and according to info i found in a forum it's exactly based on what happened and at the time many critics found the ending to be boring.