Cole

Romelu Lukaku 2017/18

Goals scored..  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Lukaku get in all competitions?

A tough game for him today and a few iffy moments, but overall I thought he did very well - led the line well, played some great through balls and crosses into the box when he was in the position.

He just didn't get many chances himself and was crowded out a lot.

He's good at putting these type of teams to the sword. No doubt. Two excellent finishes.

Let's see how he does against Sevilla and Chelsea. 

He should be aiming for 30 goals this season. 9 goals to go.

One of his best performances for us really, albeit not against the best opposition. Lead the line well, good hold up play, linked up well and two good finishes.

Hopefully a good confidence boost for him going into the next few games, because they'll be much stiffer tests for him.

3 hours ago, O said:

He's good at putting these type of teams to the sword. No doubt. Two excellent finishes.

Let's see how he does against Sevilla and Chelsea. 

He should be aiming for 30 goals this season. 9 goals to go.

He could easily go on to score 100 goals for the club. Unfortunately for him however, as long as the perception exists, right or wrong, that he cannot produce against the top teams and/or in the big games, he will never be considered a United great. I hope it works out for him in Sevilla. 

2 minutes ago, pailo said:

He could easily go on to score 100 goals for the club. Unfortunately for him however, as long as the perception exists, right or wrong, that he cannot produce against the top teams and/or in the big games, he will never be considered a United great. I hope it works out for him in Sevilla. 

Jose's approach against the top teams definitely doesn't help.

Mata finally gave him a pass that enabled him to express his ability. He runs channels, get it right and he will score. Ask him to go outside of that or push the envelope and he fails. Now we know his limits time we got on and exploited his strengths. 

1 minute ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Mata finally gave him a pass that enabled him to express his ability. He runs channels, get it right and he will score. Ask him to go outside of that or push the envelope and he fails. Now we know his limits time we got on and exploited his strengths. 

Whilst Mourinho has stuck by Lukaku, it is fair to say also that he has not always utilized tactics which suit his strengths. 

Not sure its tactics, more a case of players unable to always deliver that killer pass. Teams need thinking players to play the pass and we’re woefully short. Ander was doing it last season before he got benched.

Mata on his day is intelligent but he can also play like a wooden-top. Interesting how Mata has made several goals for Lukaku which might suggest a budding partnership of sorts

Pogba started doing those kind of passes but he dried up. Young was a winger who could pass but has turned into a full back who cant pass. Tony V delivers passes for the kinds of players we no longer have. 

I am pleased how the lad performed today, but he will be heavily marked again in future games.

Edited by Stretford End Phil

He's a great counter attacking player,always seems to need more than a extra touch in close quarters though, he needs to work on that,and when receiving with his back to the opposition ,he needs to be quick in thinking of which way too go,and how to utilise less space,by guiding the ball correctly to path he needs to go..gets caught too often by cbs,needlessly. It's a skill he needs urgently to go to next level.

His two goals yesterday shown exactly what his strength, running through open spaces after a through pass. Tbh i was surprised Huddersfield gave him so much space to exploit for both goals. If we are to expect more of him, the team needs to figure out how to create those kind of situation more for him. I am not really fussed about him not scoring as much as some people want him to, i am more worried that the team does not play into his strength.

24 minutes ago, adhityaprianda said:

His two goals yesterday shown exactly what his strength, running through open spaces after a through pass. Tbh i was surprised Huddersfield gave him so much space to exploit for both goals. If we are to expect more of him, the team needs to figure out how to create those kind of situation more for him. I am not really fussed about him not scoring as much as some people want him to, i am more worried that the team does not play into his strength.

Sanchez was the one making the space for him, and Mata to a lesser degree. Our early goal also meant that Huddersfield had to come out and attack and that created more space for Lukaku. The more defensive-minded we are, the harder Lukaku seems to find it and he ends up doing a lot of running for little reward.

8 hours ago, lucretius said:

He was very good yesterday, and took both goals really well.

The ultimate flat track bully, though. His stats are padded by FA Cup goals against Huddersfield (17th), Yeovil (League Two), and Derby (Championship), and in the CL against Basel and CSKA Moscow.

His league record is actually pretty underwhelming:

12 goals (7th, behind Kane, Salah, Aguero, Sterling, Vardy, and Firmino), having played more minutes than anyone above him except Vardy, who has played 14 minutes more and scored one more goal.

His minutes per goal is pretty poor (188): about half as good as Kane (97), Salah (93), or Aguero (85). Quite a bit worse than Sterling (128) too. In fact, it's worse than any other centre forward who has scored 7 or more goals, except Lacazette (202). Rooney (164) and Glenn Murray (185) have been more efficient. Even Martial (164) and Lingard (183) have a better rate in our squad, despite not playing up top.

Hazard has played 644 fewer minutes, and scored 1 less goal. Morata has played 700 fewer minutes (nearly 8 full games), and scored only 2 less goals.

0 goals against the top 6 sides. In fact, the highest placed team he's scored against is Everton, in 9th. He also has 1 against Bournemouth, in 10th. That means that 83% of his goals have come against sides in the bottom half of the table.

He has 2 against Stoke, 1 against Southampton, and 1 against West Brom, so a third of his goals have come against sides currently in the relegation zone. Three teams (Palace, Swansea, and Huddersfield), are only one point ahead of 18th placed Southampton, and he has a goal against each of them, accounting for more than half of his total.

So what you saying 😂

I still say it's down too our midfield,given him a Matic/Carrick and a Herrera /Mctominay, with Pogba on the left, I'm sure we would see more of the Lukaku ,we all want too see.

On 18/02/2018 at 20:59, PVAD said:

So what you saying 1f602.png

He's shite

44 minutes ago, butler said:

Bump

Not good enough in the big games.

Clearly proven by now.

I do feel for him at times. He’s actually not that good in the air. He’s good at outmuscling for diagonal balls and crosses, but not at competing for goal kicks. 

Just now, O said:

Not good enough in the big games.

Clearly proven by now.

I do feel for him at times. He’s actually not that good in the air. He’s good at outmuscling for diagonal balls and crosses, but not at competing for goal kicks. 

But why...he only has problems under this special one..hence he got rid of him..or does he just play better in a smaller team..ie..another Griggs

3 minutes ago, butler said:

But why...he only has problems under this special one..hence he got rid of him..or does he just play better in a smaller team..ie..another Griggs

Probably not quite good enough for an elite club.