Cole

Romelu Lukaku 2017/18

Goals scored..  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Lukaku get in all competitions?

22 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

Alternatives off the shelf and without ECL commitments? 

Beggars can’t be choosers at this point.  

We need a goalscorer to wind them up and take on the Bitters - or we give up at Xmas!

I just don't think he'd be a good fit. Balls over the top to chase into space isn't really our game, and we don't have any wingers playing in their traditional role. Vardy would suffer for this.  Sanchez from the Gunners would do a job for us but he's City-bound by the looks of things. I still think we ought to move Heaven and Earth for Griezemann in January.

1 hour ago, Albert Quixall said:

I just don't think he'd be a good fit. Balls over the top to chase into space isn't really our game, and we don't have any wingers playing in their traditional role. Vardy would suffer for this.  Sanchez from the Gunners would do a job for us but he's City-bound by the looks of things. I still think we ought to move Heaven and Earth for Griezemann in January.

Good thoughts - we need to do something - I hate the idea of giving up at Xmas.

14 hours ago, Stretford End Phil said:

There is nothing about him or his ability that correlates with the role of centre forward or striker. Expensive rubbish - bring back Birtles.

pushing it.

but..

I honestly dread when he gets on the ball.

tbf he made two sublime passes in the Leciester match...but dreadful finishing from our forwards....

have gone off the boil as far as this season goes...

26 minutes ago, nirav said:

So Jose says that he is tired but he cannot afford to rest him . 

Tired? Well he has played a lot, we need to bring in a strker in January, then he can have some bench time. Though not sure who we will bring in,  here's hoping we do something. 

On 29/12/2017 at 16:12, nirav said:

So Jose says that he is tired but he cannot afford to rest him . 

Ridiculous statement from a Manchester United manager..so he intends to keep starting him although the guy is really struggling now. Bullshit. Leave him out for a month and give him extra ball-control practice. Lots of it.

Don't care if he was 'tired' or not heading into the game, another chance he simply had to score he hasn't. At least hit the fucking target. Hopefully the injury isn't nearly as bad as it looked but I'll be happy to see him out the team for a game or two. 

No wonder he's out of sorts. Apparently, he got a voodoo message when he was at Everton that told him to sign for Chelsea. This has to be one of the weirdest stories of the past few months. Maybe he's been hexed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/09/romelu-lukaku-voodoo-message-everton-chelsea-farhad-moshiri

17 in 32 games is an above average return with the 10 games or so he shot blanks in. He must be desperate to win something else alongside the naked FA Cup medal with Chelsea. If he can get to 30 in all he will be going a long way to repaying his fee. Actually with these crazy transfer fees these days, £75m is a fucking bargain man.

17 hours ago, DJSmith said:

17 in 32 games is an above average return with the 10 games or so he shot blanks in. He must be desperate to win something else alongside the naked FA Cup medal with Chelsea. If he can get to 30 in all he will be going a long way to repaying his fee. Actually with these crazy transfer fees these days, £75m is a fucking bargain man.

His issue is with delivering in big games, he has always been a flat track bully and you'd expect him to get a good return against opposition outside the top 6. How much of that is down to Everton and United's approach to big games is hard to say though. I still think he has the qualities needed to become a top class striker but he has a lot of work to put in to achieve that. Bulking up any more should be the lowest of his priorities. 

He’s on 17 goals for the season. He’s featured 32 times

He scored 26 goals last season for Everton, having made 39 appearances.

He’s obviously not going to better his ratio from last season, but he should be able to match his goals tally between now and June.

When you take into account that he scored a hat-trick against Sunderland, 4 goals against Bournemouth, and a brace against Hull, he’s spreading his goals out a bit better in a United shirt.

I think 26 goals would be a reasonable return for this season, and would expect him to score 30+ goals next season.

He’s outscored Morata, Lacazette and Rooney thus far.

6 hours ago, aardvarked said:

His issue is with delivering in big games, he has always been a flat track bully and you'd expect him to get a good return against opposition outside the top 6. How much of that is down to Everton and United's approach to big games is hard to say though. I still think he has the qualities needed to become a top class striker but he has a lot of work to put in to achieve that. Bulking up any more should be the lowest of his priorities. 

The problem I have with others analysing his influence in 'big games', is the counter argument that we are currently second in the league and the team is having a fairly decent season without his influence in these said games. He is 24 which is still relatively young for a footballer. His size and frame often overshadow this point. There is room to improve but he has the basis for improvement already there. His goalscoring record is above average and his work ethic is sound. 

I think he said in a recent interview that he is by no means the finished article which tells me that he is not arrogant enough to see that there are aspects of his game that needs work . All the makings are there for Lukaku to have a really decent career at United. The manager backs him which is a massive boost.

If he scored against the top 6 sides and did nothing else then people would say that he doesn't score against the lesser teams and scoring every week is just not reasonable. He has had a good start to what is just half of the season and 17 goals is a decent return. 

Edited by DJSmith

5 minutes ago, DJSmith said:

The problem I have with others analysing his influence in 'big games', is the counter argument that we are currently second in the league and the team is having a fairly decent season without his influence in these said games. He is 24 which is still relatively young for a footballer. His size and frame often overshadow this point. There is room to improve but he has the basis for improvement already there. His goalscoring record is above average and his work ethic is sound. 

I think he said in a recent interview that he is by no means the finished article which tells me that he is not arrogant enough to see that there are aspects of his game that needs work . All the makings are there for Lukaku to have a really decent career at United. The manager backs him which is a massive boost.

If he scored against the top 6 sides and did nothing else then people would say that he doesn't score against the lesser teams and scoring every week is just not reasonable. He has had a good start to what is just half of the season and 17 goals is a decent return. 

He has played as much football as most 30 year olds have. He's played 414 games for club & country at the age of 24.

To put things into perspective, Jesse Lingard (only 5 months older) has played 169 times for club & country.

And Harry Kane has played 281 times for club & country (only 2 months younger).

Apart from a lack of CL experience, Lukaku is as experienced as you can be as a footballer.

Also, we are well over half way. There are 15 PL games left! We have a 2 legged tie against Sevilla and an FA Cup game vs Yeovil still to come as well. That's only 18-21 possible games left. He's played 32 times.

2 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

If we get Sanchez, it will be interesting to see how that partnership works out, especially given Sanchez's penchant for getting frustrated with team-mates.

Perhaps the reason for the transfer delay is because they can’t agree the level of ball control ratios before an on-pitch meltdown!

I was pretty close to being done with this guy after the City game but he’s done nothing but impress since.

I think the criticism was getting to him, you could see with the lack of goal celebrations but he’s responded very well. His hold up play has been excellent in the last few weeks and he’s getting other players involved. Seems to have a great relationship with Martial which is promising. 

The test for him will be Spurs away – If he goes missing or has another mare ala City then it’s time to start thinking about leaving him out of big games, especially in Europe. 

On 23/01/2018 at 09:32, TFIA said:

I was pretty close to being done with this guy after the City game but he’s done nothing but impress since.

I think the criticism was getting to him, you could see with the lack of goal celebrations but he’s responded very well. His hold up play has been excellent in the last few weeks and he’s getting other players involved. Seems to have a great relationship with Martial which is promising. 

The test for him will be Spurs away – If he goes missing or has another mare ala City then it’s time to start thinking about leaving him out of big games, especially in Europe. 

Its a difficult decision to make because an argument can also be made that Mourinho sets up defensively against the top teams, which makes it more difficult for Lukaku to make an impact. 

Edited by pailo

1 hour ago, pailo said:

Its a difficult decision to make because an argument can also be made that Mourinho sets up defensively against the top teams, which makes it more difficult for Lukaku to make an impact. 

Top players can still produce when it's difficult. He actually had his chances against Liverpool and City but his general play was utterly appalling in both games. He offered nothing. 

22 hours ago, TFIA said:

Top players can still produce when it's difficult. He actually had his chances against Liverpool and City but his general play was utterly appalling in both games. He offered nothing. 

I agree with you that he has improved in recent weeks. I certainly cannot fault his effort. He makes selfless runs and teammates often don't pass it to him.