46 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

I’m getting the impression that people would much rather be “right” than see him do well for us.... Truely sad state of affairs. 

Correct. Any opportunity to expose the likes of peterswellman and TFIA. 

I don’t lift the trophies, but can take great pleasure in the failings of others. 

Fuck Pogba btw.

On 12/02/2018 at 16:50, lucretius said:

League and club record signing on eye watering salary, who's never off social media, has a different haircut every week, his own emoji,  #POGBACK, and there's some mystery about why people get pissed off when he goes missing in a game?

Why do you care? I'd expect this kind of thing from a proper curmudgeon like Haggler.

I can't fathom how all the rational posters on here return to this as some kind off ammunition against him. Lay into him for his subpar performances - not because he's a 24 year old enjoying his life. As if when he makes a mistake on the pitch it's because he's thinking about his next haircut.

To me this just proves that he's fighting a losing battle with some people who will always see him as the Dabbing Djemba Djemba.

1 hour ago, fourkeys said:

Why do you care? I'd expect this kind of thing from a proper curmudgeon like Haggler.

I can't fathom how all the rational posters on here return to this as some kind off ammunition against him. Lay into him for his subpar performances - not because he's a 24 year old enjoying his life. As if when he makes a mistake on the pitch it's because he's thinking about his next haircut.

To me this just proves that he's fighting a losing battle with some people who will always see him as the Dabbing Djemba Djemba.

So you weren't at all perturbed by pogbunny last season...

This was when we were on a run of one win in our previous seven games. Didn't it make you question how hurt the guy really is when we're not performing?

Fergie was knocking on Sharpey's door for having a private party, fell out with Becks for marrying a Spice Girl and regularly told his players to get sensible haircuts, wonder what he thinks of Pogba's antics.

Edited by gav81

I notice Jose's press conference just now was dominated by Pogba issues. This is exactly the type of distraction/circus Fergie wouldn't tolerate and would have shutdown sharpish. Oh well, different times.

Edited by gav81

2 hours ago, fourkeys said:

There's not a straightforward answer to that.

First, I don't like overhyped stuff, especially when someone hypes themselves. That might actually be me being curmudgeonly, but I don't think self-promotion and lacklustre performances go well together. I find it a bit cringeworthy watching the Liverpool game last year, for instance, when the talk was about the Pogba emoji, and he put in a proper 0/10 performance. Same as I found Ibrahimovic's 'lions don't recover like humans' stuff absolutely unbearable. It's like The Office, but with your football team.

Surely you can see that when someone hypes themselves, they leave themselves open to criticism if they don't live up to that hype? It's a pretty natural reaction, the same as it's natural to question his transfer fee and wages.

Second, if someone is going to be flashy, they need to deliver. Cantona with his upturned collar. Ronaldo doing that same celebration. These are people who drag their teams to success and who have earned a little of flash. Pogba has delivered nothing so far, except making Mino Raiola filthy rich. It's not like he's getting his head down and working hard. He's either all flash or absolutely nothing, and it's really hard to have sympathy for that type of person. 

Third, I think you mischaracterise it by saying the argument is 'when he makes a mistake on the pitch it's because he's thinking about his next haircut'. Plenty of criticism has to go to Mourinho for playing him out of position, but there's no escaping how utterly appalling he was against Bristol City, Leicester, Southampton (both games strolling around with the armband on), or Burnley (twice), or Spurs, or Newcastle. He wouldn't be the first footballer to think that he's made it, and let celebrity distract from his game.

That really leads on to my next point. He's obviously very talented; he's not a Djemba-Djemba. But talent means absolutely nothing if you don't use it to produce the goods. We've had plenty of players who were outrageously talented but didn't make the most of it. Best could have been the best player in the history of the game, but any discussion of him is tempered by his wasted potential. Sharpe was a ridiculously talented winger who let hype go to his head and then spent a decade trying to trade on his celebrity status. Given the professionalism of players these days, it would be absolutely criminal if he was allowed to squander his potential. Players with more talent than Pogba have done - Recoba, Cassano, perhaps even Ronaldinho.

25 minutes ago, lucretius said:

First, I don't like overhyped stuff, especially when someone hypes themselves. That might actually be me being curmudgeonly, but I don't think self-promotion and lacklustre performances go well together. I find it a bit cringeworthy watching the Liverpool game last year, for instance, when the talk was about the Pogba emoji, and he put in a proper 0/10 performance. Same as I found Ibrahimovic's 'lions don't recover like humans' stuff absolutely unbearable. It's like The Office, but with your football team.

Surely you can see that when someone hypes themselves, they leave themselves open to criticism if they don't live up to that hype? It's a pretty natural reaction, the same as it's natural to question his transfer fee and wages.

Second, if someone is going to be flashy, they need to deliver. Cantona with his upturned collar. Ronaldo doing that same celebration. These are people who drag their teams to success and who have earned a little of flash. Pogba has delivered nothing so far, except making Mino Raiola filthy rich. It's not like he's getting his head down and working hard. He's either all flash or absolutely nothing, and it's really hard to have sympathy for that type of person. 

Third, I think you mischaracterise it by saying the argument is 'when he makes a mistake on the pitch it's because he's thinking about his next haircut'. Plenty of criticism has to go to Mourinho for playing him out of position, but there's no escaping how utterly appalling he was against Bristol City, Leicester, Southampton (both games strolling around with the armband on), or Burnley (twice), or Spurs, or Newcastle. He wouldn't be the first footballer to think that he's made it, and let celebrity distract from his game.

That really leads on to my next point. He's obviously very talented; he's not a Djemba-Djemba. But talent means absolutely nothing if you don't use it to produce the goods. We've had plenty of players who were outrageously talented but didn't make the most of it. Best could have been the best player in the history of the game, but any discussion of him is tempered by his wasted potential. Sharpe was a ridiculously talented winger who let hype go to his head and then spent a decade trying to trade on his celebrity status. Given the professionalism of players these days, it would be absolutely criminal if he was allowed to squander his potential. Players with more talent than Pogba have done - Recoba, Cassano, perhaps even Ronaldinho.

I think it's a lot down to personal preference, because these things don't even register with me. For example the Ibra quote, it's not something I would ever say, but that's who Zlatan is and I won't hold it against him. I do understand the Office reference though. When Jose did the 3 finger thing when we lifted the Europa League trophy, tried to get the players to join in and no one did, I thought that was the most Brent thing I'd ever seen 😂 Again though, not in a bad way, just in a wanting to curl up and die in that moment kind of way.

I don't disagree that Pogba thinks he's made it, and that he'd be more palatable to most people if he dialled it back a bit. But he's a flamboyant guy, which is part of what makes him such a joy to watch when he's on form, and I don't think he should have to change that so people think he's 'getting his head down' or whatever the argument might be.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Straight from the Fergie textbook!

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

I know, it's hard to believe.

Go Luc!  😂

8 minutes ago, Vanrooney said:

If  only TFIA did the same everytime Pogba lost the ball or made wrong decisions.

He's brave, mate. He takes risks. 

Believe me,it's not all down to the players ,Moyes, and Van Gaal are proof of that in some respect, true,they could all play much better,each player has another 30 to 40% to offer,but the tight arse, that they are,they're not giving it for the likes of José. 

Maybe the romantic notion is fading, and reality has surfaced, José may not be a  3 season manager any longer, truth is ,he lost that accolade, when he got the boot.

I admit, Pogba is a rare talent to have, when he's ticking.

I'm not going to blame Pogba,for his bad form;I'm going too put it down too bad management. 

Lingard hasn't been better than Pogba. Scoring 6 or 7 amazing + important goals is great an all, but Pogba's overall influence in the way we play is far more important and simply better. If Pogba was free and Lingard cost 90 million no one would be saying the latter > the former.

That being said, TFIA just got destroyed 😂

Edited by TheManc

6 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Lingard hasn't been better than Pogba. Scoring 6 or 7 amazing + important goals is great an all, but Pogba's overall influence in the way we play is far more important and simply better. If Pogba was free and Lingard cost 90 million no one would be saying the latter > the former.

That being said, TFIA just got destroyed 1f602.png

The fucker's been out for half the season and been gash in half the games he has played. Of course Lingard has been better, and more influential.

8 minutes ago, SimplyGiggs said:

The fucker's been out for half the season and been gash in half the games he has played. Of course Lingard has been better, and more influential.

i think it's only been the last few games where Pogba's not been good. It wasn't so long ago that most were saying without Pogba we were bang average - that's how influential he is/was. Remember the hysteria when he was injured and later when he was sent off against Arsenal?

With Lingard, I don't think he's really done much in terms of 90 minute performances. His overall performances and influence in how we play still isn't all that. Not that I'm having a go at Lingard, because he's done very well for himself, but there's more to it than just goals, even if they've tended to be screamers.

Edited by TheManc