Sign in to follow this  
Stretford End Phil

Tour de France - 2017

Recommended Posts

Spent an hour in the heavy rain waiting for the bikes to pass by in 30 seconds. Never realised there was so much commercialism on the road before the riders. Every kind of sponsor and hanger on, selling stuff or giving it away. Marcel Kittel won the first leg - Düsseldorf to Liege. It won't surpass footy.

Edited by Stretford End Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a stage the year Wiggins won it. I can't say i find the sport that appealing anymore, as it seems it has become so tainted with doping and the authorities seem to be always a few steps behind the cheats or simply turning a blind eye as they have done with TUEs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you. I was also amazed at the commercialism including ciggy manufacturers openly branded. Also interesting that police forces cross borders for an event like this but bitch they can't do it for anti-terrorism.

However, the kids loved it - splashing in the puddles and making the sounds of police warning alarms. There was a huge crash outside Liege, although amazed there were not more given how huddled they are through most of the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love cycling, and even though I find the Tour de France a bit overrated compared to the rest of the races in the cycling calendar, I'm obviously interested in it. 

I think the organization made some huge mistakes in Saturday's prologue, I think it was horribly organized, tightened a wide road making it much more dangerous for the riders, didn't protect the riders enough in the awful turns there were, specially knowing from a week before that it would rain. And so many people crashed, with Valverde and Ion Izagirre retiring. Both are a huge loss, Valverde is always a show when he's racing, and Ion Izagirre was my Basque hope for the year, and he was probably our best option to win a stage and make a top 10 finish in the GC. Incredibly bad news for me. 

17 hours ago, TheBeardedOne said:

I went to a stage the year Wiggins won it. I can't say i find the sport that appealing anymore, as it seems it has become so tainted with doping and the authorities seem to be always a few steps behind the cheats or simply turning a blind eye as they have done with TUEs. 

You don't find it appealing anymore? You mean in comparison to when Wiggins won it? Because that period is now being analysed by the UCI and is in mouth of almost every anti-dopping guy, due to the sick amount of substances Wiggins (and many other Sky riders) were given permision to take by the UK Cyclist Agency. 

I think dopping is now at an all time low in cycling world, there has been one case of André Cardoso having tested positive before the tour and who has been inmediately released by his team. And there are more antidopping controls in place than ever before. 

I try to go to as many stages as I can, specially in the Pyrenees, since it's pretty close to me, it's always a fantastic time with friends and a lot of other fans that go for the same thing. It's a shame that there's no Euskaltel anymore to paint every road in Orange like we used to back in the day, but there's still a lot of Basque people going and I really enjoy it. The team I like most these days is Orica, from Australia, but there are plenty of riders and teams I enjoy watching. Today we actually have a pretty nice stage with an uphill finish that will ensure no Kittel win, it should be fine.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/skys-vortex-generator-skinsuits-questioned-by-tour-rivals-but-permitted-by-commissaires/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Txrt said:

You don't find it appealing anymore? You mean in comparison to when Wiggins won it? Because that period is now being analysed by the UCI and is in mouth of almost every anti-dopping guy, due to the sick amount of substances Wiggins (and many other Sky riders) were given permision to take by the UK Cyclist Agency. 

I think dopping is now at an all time low in cycling world, there has been one case of André Cardoso having tested positive before the tour and who has been inmediately released by his team. And there are more antidopping controls in place than ever before. 

I wasn't really into cycling prior to that tour and thought the major doping scandals were a thing of the past. There is no doubt though that the sport should've clamped down on TUEs and therefore Wiggins' was a hollow victory. Now we are in a situation where we can no longer trust what goes on in the sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, parksey said:

What's the consensus on Sagan's DQ?

I completely agree with it. It's sick what he did, he's one that always provides show for the race, and that's why the Tour were reluctant to kick him out at first, but I think you just can't do anything else. 

Today first finish on a nice hill. I have your countryman and the God that is Richie Porte as my main favourite for the win, hopefully he takes it. It'll be a nice one, and we won't learn who wins the tour, but we will probably learn who doesn't, like always in the first mountain finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Txrt said:

I completely agree with it. It's sick what he did, he's one that always provides show for the race, and that's why the Tour were reluctant to kick him out at first, but I think you just can't do anything else. 

Today first finish on a nice hill. I have your countryman and the God that is Richie Porte as my main favourite for the win, hopefully he takes it. It'll be a nice one, and we won't learn who wins the tour, but we will probably learn who doesn't, like always in the first mountain finish.

Yeah I dunno I'm kinda leaning towards the side of it being harsh but I can see why you'd think that way. Anyway two of the Tour's main attractions going out in one fell swoop genuinely sucks.

Haha it would be awesome for Porte to take it out. He's never really lived up to the billing at the Tour yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed the first few stages because I was in Prague. What was the Sagan thing?

Porte won't win it. Not sure who will though..

EDIT: Hope my boy Dan Martin does well. Saw he finished second today. Love Martin. If it weren't for Valverde he would have won Classics this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2017 at 19:32, dualtamac said:

Missed the first few stages because I was in Prague. What was the Sagan thing?

Porte won't win it. Not sure who will though..

EDIT: Hope my boy Dan Martin does well. Saw he finished second today. Love Martin. If it weren't for Valverde he would have won Classics this spring.

I feel bad for Dan, man. He's one of my favorites, and he's just so good but at the same time so unlucky most of the times. 

Second the other day when he looked like he had legs to win, shame he doesn't have a team that can control those finishes for him. He'll hunt one this year tho, I'm very optimistic, and he's in a great state of form right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I want the British riders to do well, why do I think they are doping? I just can't get behind Froome really, Armstrong won many titles, and admitted doping. It's hard to support a sport such as this, because of the doping shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable stage on the Tour yesterday. One of the best I've seen. 

Froome really came to life after seemingly every other GC contender had a dig at him on the final climb he attacked and dropped half of them.

Such a shame about both Porte and Thomas. Thankfully Porte's injuries weren't as bad as they first seemed, but it's still gutting for him to have to leave the race when he was on such good form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fourkeys said:

Unbelievable stage on the Tour yesterday. One of the best I've seen. 

Froome really came to life after seemingly every other GC contender had a dig at him on the final climb he attacked and dropped half of them.

Such a shame about both Porte and Thomas. Thankfully Porte's injuries weren't as bad as they first seemed, but it's still gutting for him to have to leave the race when he was on such good form.

It was absolutely incredible from the start, very harsh on Barguil in the end though (specially considering I had a bet on him winning ahahahha). Amazing cycling we had. Today another easy win for Kittel, and tomorrow should be a sprint again. Then we go again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this