MikeM

United kits - Past, present and future.

Another one we haven't an equivalent of here. The place to discuss United kits past present and future, or to share your own ideas.

Still no news on this Nike deal as yet, but I'll kick off by sharing my favourite retro shirt (which I would love to get)

1987-89 Home 

manchester-united-home-football-shirt-19

I love the collar on it, adidas did a great job of putting subtle red and black trim on a smart V-neck. I also love the black trim on the white adidas stripes and the two white bars where the sleeves join. This should be the ideal aim for any United shirt - Although only adidas could give us the three stripes.

Edited by MikeM

my first kit,also had the home one.

My dad first started following Utd about 1977 and that was his favorite shirt, I really want to get one for myself.

This site makes replicas of shirts and posts them on ebay, cant wait for this one coming out.

http://3in1footballblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/manchester-united-1978-79-away.html

http://3in1footballblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/team.html

Edit: My first United shirt was the treble winning one with the zippy up collar. 

Edited by CelticDevil

Edit: My first United shirt was the treble winning one with the zippy up collar. 

$_35.GIF

Still one of my favourite home kits. Technically this wasn't the shirt we won the Treble in though, or at least not the one we completed it in. That was this one:

Man-Utd-Home-Retro-99.jpg

I never actually had the European home shirt but it was a touch of class. I'd like to see us pay homage to it one day like we have with other kits through the years. Maybe a similar home kit design for the 2018/19 season to mark the twenty year anniversary of the Treble?

Edited by Spoonman

$_35.GIF

Still one of my favourite home kits. Technically this wasn't the shirt we won the Treble in though, or at least not the one we completed it in. That was this one:

Man-Utd-Home-Retro-99.jpg

I never actually had the European home shirt but it was a touch of class. I'd like to see us pay homage to it one day like we have with other kits through the years. Maybe a similar home kit design for the 2018/19 season to mark the twenty year anniversary of the Treble?

Sorry I stand corrected on that one.

Hard to think that it will be twenty years soon, I was only four at the time but I remember loving that shirt (the zippy one). Even though I wasn't much of a watcher or player of football I always made sure that I wore that shirt going out to play. I was absolutely gutted the day it didn't fit anymore, although now I know that one day i'll have kids that I can pass all my old shirts down to.

Edited by CelticDevil

Sorry I stand corrected on that one.

Hard to think that it will be twenty years soon, I was only four at the time but I remember loving that shirt (the zippy one). Even though I wasn't much of a watcher or player of football I always made sure that I wore that shirt going out to play. I was absolutely gutted the day it didn't fit anymore, although now I know that one day i'll have kids that I can pass all my old shirts down to.

Yeah, I can tell you from experience that it's nice to share your love of your team with your kids. Although my daughter is only three and a half and the extent of her knowledge is knowing that we support "red team". Hopefully she'll be interested enough that I can tell her about the Treble one day. But girls being girls, I suppose there's less chance that she'll be interested than a boy would. . . And she did kick off at me this morning for turning cartoons off to watch the Champions League draw.

My dad first started following Utd about 1977 and that was his favorite shirt, I really want to get one for myself.

Thanks kid,did you deliberately set out to make me feel old with your post ? :laugh:

still have the treble winning 'zippy' one. 

Had this kit nicked off my Grandma's washing line when I was a kid. Absolutely devastated. Who nicks children's football kits?!

Hmm, coincidence?  :laugh:  (Or very clever humour)

I liked the 96 kit posted above, although the collar felt too flimsy - apparently Umbro's prototype had no collar, but Eric requested they add one - it looks like they adapted the one from Ajax's away shirt the same year. I loved the shorts too, big red stripe with the crest shadowed.

Our adidas kits were so nice. Adidas kits in general are far nicer in my opinion, and I wish they would be our new kit supplier. 

Though our 06/07 one was incredible. 

Nothing like the old school three stripes down the sleeves, although adidas don't do the subtle trim any more.

Looks like a Burger King uniform.

Given the level of incompetence displayed this season that would be about the only uniform that many of our players should be considered fit to wear next season. . . Moyes as manager of course. . . I reckon people would be waiting a while on their Flame Grilled Whoppers.

Edited by Spoonman