venusplanet

Technical issues thread

2 hours ago, aardvarked said:

Check spam folder? It's your hotmail email

I've changed your password and emailed it to you anyway

Good stuff. x

It wasn't going to the spam - I wasn't getting the email at all.

26 minutes ago, O said:

@aardvarked @lucretius @hdcantona

What's the easiest way to embed streamable.com videos on this forum? It automatically embeds them on other forums.

IIRC this site hasn't ever supported streamable embedding? it's usually just a link that's in the post because inserting other media doesn't work with Streamable as far as I know. 

Maybe @aardvarked can shed some light, probably something to do with the board software

19 minutes ago, The Spanish Inquisitor said:

What prompted this decision?

Confusion amongst staff as to who was who (well I personally brought it up, so the confusion was from myself).

Our system doesn’t appear to tell us when a member changes name and just for clarity we are disabling the function. If you really want a name change, PM one of the staff members and we can see what we can do.

On 1/15/2018 at 14:46, peterswellman said:

Confusion amongst staff as to who was who (well I personally brought it up, so the confusion was from myself).

Our system doesn’t appear to tell us when a member changes name and just for clarity we are disabling the function. If you really want a name change, PM one of the staff members and we can see what we can do.

Do you guys keep track of stuff on this site in a db or anything?

Could just set up new tables to store OlderUsername and NewUsername, when they attempt the name change take the id's and store them.

That way you could always do a lookup if you want, or retrieve the data and post it somewhere on the admins board. Or, on the profiles could have an "Aliases" section which keeps track of all old usernames. Again just storing any name data in a db and retrieving it.

..but yeah, probably just easier to not allow people to rename. 😅

25 minutes ago, rezzy said:

Do you guys keep track of stuff on this site in a db or anything?

Could just set up new tables to store OlderUsername and NewUsername, when they attempt the name change take the id's and store them.

That way you could always do a lookup if you want, or retrieve the data and post it somewhere on the admins board. Or, on the profiles could have an "Aliases" section which keeps track of all old usernames. Again just storing any name data in a db and retrieving it.

..but yeah, probably just easier to not allow people to rename. 1f605.png

To clarify - we can check username history, we just weren't notified when people were doing so.

7 minutes ago, aardvarked said:

To clarify - we can check username history, we just weren't notified when people were doing so.

Oh that would make more sense. Grand so! 👍