mattc

[Young Keepers] Dean Henderson/Joel Pereira/ Keiran O'Hara

Guys just who do you think has the best potential to make it to the first team?

Personally think Deano is a better all rounded stopper among the three, tho JCP has more first team experience given he was out on loan at Belenenses. O'Hara looks like the most commanding keeper out of the three to me. 

But clearly Jose favours JCP better (Probably cuz of the fact that they are compatriots?) Gutted for Deano really think he has all the qualities to excel as a top keeper for both United and the country too. Should JCP be favoured by Jose then I dont see Deano having a real future here in the first team 

1 hour ago, O said:

I'm not sure who I rate higher. They should all have a career in the game at a decent level, like Heaton, Amos and Johnstone.

Dont see Henderson and O'Hara in a United shirt much longer in the future (after 23 y/o) but yeah agreed they are all decent enough to have a career in the game. if the chance comes who knows they may do a Heaton haha

On 5/21/2017 at 00:59, mattc said:

Dont see Henderson and O'Hara in a United shirt much longer in the future (after 23 y/o) but yeah agreed they are all decent enough to have a career in the game. if the chance comes who knows they may do a Heaton haha

Don't pesimistic like that. i don't think next or two season ahead one of De Gea (he always want back to madrid someday) or johnstone will be here. and seems mourinho build something at here. The best scenario, two of them gone and we will have two spots for the youngs! 😁

15 hours ago, jokerz said:

Don't pesimistic like that. i don't think next or two season ahead one of De Gea (he always want back to madrid someday) or johnstone will be here. and seems mourinho build something at here. The best scenario, two of them gone and we will have two spots for the youngs! 1f601.png

Always prefer academy players (even local lads) to takeover rather than spending loads to buy replacements. Not sure when was did we last have a local englishmen as our regular number 1 but I always thought Deano would have made it to the first team, doesnt seem likely to me anymore haha clearly hes out of favour as our third keeper, JCP has a greater chance (think Johnstone will be gone after this season, had a great half season on loan with Villa and he definitely will have a decent career should he leaves united. No point staying as a our third keeper at the age of 23) 

Just notice the typo in the title lol *Kieran O'Hara* 

We generally under estimate the magnitude of transition from Academy or reserves to the first team. It takes a lot of character and ability to be able to perform for UTD in the first team. In spite of the skill, due to lack of attitude or character lads fail to make that step up. 

Last GK I remember who was marked for the first team was Foster and he was given ample opportunities too. But some how he could not handle the pressure of being the No.1 for UTD. That does not mean he is a bad keeper. 

Basically it requires a lot of time for some to develop and needs to keep playing regularly to develop as well. With GKs its difficult to provide that at UTD because every game is crucial.

Unless someone is really good at a very young age like DDG and Courtious are to take them directly as No. 1 in the team. 

Currently with the way JCP is developing and Jose too has endorsed him, looks a better bet. Lets see how things pan out in the next two seasons.

btw Dean Henderson with England u-20 right now? so he didn't played or choosen vs Crystal Palace because with England team not because behind JCP or Kieran O'Hara, right? hmm..

8 hours ago, jokerz said:

btw Dean Henderson with England u-20 right now? so he didn't played or choosen vs Crystal Palace because with England team not because behind JCP or Kieran O'Hara, right? hmm..

He's behind JCP (who is 1 year older) but ahead of O'Hara.

Both JCP and Henderson are as good as you can get from a goalkeeper their age IMO (except for the freak that is Donnarumma). Won't be surprised if they end up playing for England and Portugal national teams.

Henderson in particular is a huge character judging from his loan at Grimsby Town and also a massive United supporter.

O'Hara is decent. Improved a lot in the last 2-3 years. Should have a similar career to Amos or slightly worse.

All 3 might be rotating to be on loan next season similar to how we did with Johnstone and Pereira this season. Henderson should get a Championship or League One team. O'Hara League One/League Two. Pereira likely come back to Portuguese League.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:49, khoazany said:

He's behind JCP (who is 1 year older) but ahead of O'Hara.

Both JCP and Henderson are as good as you can get from a goalkeeper their age IMO (except for the freak that is Donnarumma). Won't be surprised if they end up playing for England and Portugal national teams.

Henderson in particular is a huge character judging from his loan at Grimsby Town and also a massive United supporter.

O'Hara is decent. Improved a lot in the last 2-3 years. Should have a similar career to Amos or slightly worse.

All 3 might be rotating to be on loan next season similar to how we did with Johnstone and Pereira this season. Henderson should get a Championship or League One team. O'Hara League One/League Two. Pereira likely come back to Portuguese League.

yes mate 100% agreed. Henderson especially is a massive united supporter makes me (at least) so desperate to see him make it to the first team, and he did particularly well in his loan at Grimsby Town, shame he was recalled back to the team to cover for JCP's injury, and had to play u23s for the rest of the season. Should he had played his full second half at the Town then Im sure he would have gained some really valuable first team minutes and experience. As you have said I agreed he is a huge character too, plus hes a local lad (not quite manchester but still an englishman) I would really want him to be competing for the #1 spot for England in the future as a a regular for United. Not sure if you have seen his mistake (wasnt quite 100% his fault but he could have dealt it much better) at the U20s world cup the other day. Mistakes like these in the big stage during his early career could be very useful to build up an even stronger mentality to succeed in the future. 

Speaking of O'Hara I think hes slightly behind Deano and JCP right now, but who knows what holds for his future? Think he will be covering for the u23s next year, while JCP should be promoted as the 3rd or 2nd choice keeper for the first team. I do hope Deano would be promoted too but if not he should definitely at least get loande to a League one team, just to get more first team minutes under his belt, and compete with JCP once he's back

Edited by mattc
grammatical mistake lol

On 5/24/2017 at 02:19, jokerz said:

I'm pretty sure even if he was not away with the england u20s Jose would still have picked JCP, just for the fact that he favours him more, possibly as a compatriot. But personally I would have picked Deano all day, for the fact that hes a united fan since day1, local lad and generally a better keeper (his positioning and handling are slightly ahead of the others, I think O'Hara is physically the strongest and has better reflexes though) 

On 2017-5-26 at 07:10, mattc said:

I'm pretty sure even if he was not away with the england u20s Jose would still have picked JCP, just for the fact that he favours him more, possibly as a compatriot. But personally I would have picked Deano all day, for the fact that hes a united fan since day1, local lad and generally a better keeper (his positioning and handling are slightly ahead of the others, I think O'Hara is physically the strongest and has better reflexes though) 

What Henderson doesn't have over JCP is the "presence", which mostly due to the fact that JCP is taller and bigger. I hope he will bulk up a bit, many goalkeepers who looked very talented at youth level did not fullfill their potential due to the lack of height/physique (not saying Henderson is short though).

On 5/27/2017 at 14:47, khoazany said:

What Henderson doesn't have over JCP is the "presence", which mostly due to the fact that JCP is taller and bigger. I hope he will bulk up a bit, many goalkeepers who looked very talented at youth level did not fullfill their potential due to the lack of height/physique (not saying Henderson is short though).

I think height-wise the three of them are pretty solid as a keeper, think they are all above 1.90 cm? but yeah I agree despite having a similar height JCP looked a bit more physical as a keeper (dont know how to word it lol). If Hendo can get more lower league game time under his belt and get used to the intensity and physical side of the game in league 1 or even championship then it will benefit him so much. Would really love to see Hendo make it, gutted to see him being benched for England u20s, was a massive chance for him to shine and show the world (mainly Jose) what he is capable of 

There's a fantastic interview with Dean Henderson here, some brilliant quotes -

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-goalkeeper-dean-henderson-on-his-promotion-hopes-frustrations-at-old-trafford-and-the-possibility-of-remaining-at-bramall-lane-next-season-1-9329416?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"I back my ability and I know I can be Manchester United's number one one day."

“I'm trying to prove it, I've been trying to get out since I was 17 and it was like fighting a losing battle. I kept going in and saying I wanted to go out on loan but they wouldn't let me, they were trying to protect me. But I had to wait and when I finally did go out, to Grimsby at 19, I was thinking 'I should have been doing this two years ago.' I was ready earlier and it slowed my cycle down but 'keepers go on longer so I stayed positive."

"I talk to some of the youngsters at United and say 'What are you doing wasting your life? Get yourself out on loan. Prove yourself.' They think 'Oh no, I'm going to play for Manchester United.' My response is well go and prove yourself then mate because at the moment you're not. “Start at the bottom and build yourself up.' There's a lot of ability in changing rooms but a lot of people happy to sit in their comfort zones. Every young lad at Manchester United has ability. So it's about mentality."

“They get good money and then don't know what's hit them when they come out on loan so they never bloody play. I've been on the (first team) bench at Manchester United a few times and travelled with the first team which was great. But after a while, you think 'What am I doing?' I was basically just standing around, collecting balls and watching them play. I wanted to be involved, not a ball boy."

I really want to see this guy succeed here now - love his attitude. Imagine if our first team squad were all like this!

This has aged well! Hendo an England international and Keiran a fuill Irish international! Loved the attitude from Hendo from his recent interview, I am sure he will make it to the top some day!