Sign in to follow this  
haggler

Six Nations 2018

On 2/5/2018 at 19:48, John Locke said:

I think they should introduce a playout for the team that finished bottom given there are now other european countries closing the gap on italy.

Any team that would replace Italy would get shafted twice as heavily. Especially without a few years to embed themselves. Just leave them in there, they are good value entertainment-wise, it's a cracking away trip and domestic and European leagues have already invested in supporting their improvement.

Edited by SimplyGiggs

11 hours ago, SimplyGiggs said:

Any team that would replace Italy would get shafted twice as heavily. Especially without a few years to embed themselves. Just leave them in there, they are good value entertainment-wise, it's a cracking away trip and domestic and European leagues have already invested in supporting their improvement.

It's not about banishing italy. They or whoever wins the wooden spoon would have to face Georgia or whoever in a one off game to ensure a six nations spot for the next season. Georgia are currently ahead of italy in the rankings and especially given Italy's lack of progress  (recall the game killing tactics they deployed against england not so long ago) i think it'd do the game no harm to give someone else a chance.

8 hours ago, John Locke said:

It's not about banishing italy. They or whoever wins the wooden spoon would have to face Georgia or whoever in a one off game to ensure a six nations spot for the next season. Georgia are currently ahead of italy in the rankings and especially given Italy's lack of progress  (recall the game killing tactics they deployed against england not so long ago) i think it'd do the game no harm to give someone else a chance.

World rankings are skewered, in a similar vein to FIFA rankings.

It is banishing Italy because they are perennial wooden spoon holders. What you'd get would be a yearly play off between Italy and Georgia as they are the most established European side outside the Six Nations. So ask yourself, what is the end goal?

It wouldn't improve the competitiveness of the Six Nations as you're introducing a brand new side exposed to a much higher level. While that team would benefit from facing better teams, that benefit becomes obsolete as their place is under threat, if not guaranteed to go, each season. That's all without considering the fan aspect, who are by and large, already priced out of much Six Nations action.

15 hours ago, hdcantona said:

I'd rather it just became 7 nations compared to having Italy/Georgia swap up and down 

I would too but how long before calls to add another? Plus I'm not sure the logistics of extending an international window with already a dodgy relationship between clubs and countries, as well as looking to address players decreasing longevity, with the amount they play across a calendar year. 

There needs to be a way to bridge the gap between the top 10 nations in the world and everyone else, I'm just not sure adding teams to the 6N and Rugby Championship is the way to do it

A lower tournament of sorts for the likes of Romania, Georgia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands etc.

Is there a European competition from what i can remember?

Perhaps winners/runners up could play against the bottom 2 in the 6 nations to try gain promotion.

This would give extra incentive to the teams in the 6 nations and also (hopefully) improve the lesser countries. We could just avoid looking at the rankings altogether then and it would help evolve the 6 nations from its current form.

19 hours ago, hdcantona said:

I'd rather it just became 7 nations compared to having Italy/Georgia swap up and down 

Could also include Romania in that. I'd say at times they could be on par with Georgia.

I don't saw why we can't have a playoff every year between the bottom side of the 6 Nations and the top side in the European Championship. It's all about promoting the game and spreading it, not keeping it a closed shop.

3 minutes ago, dualtamac said:

I don't saw why we can't have a playoff every year between the bottom side of the 6 Nations and the top side in the European Championship. It's all about promoting the game and spreading it, not keeping it a closed shop.

Perhaps even direct promotion to the winner of the European Championship for the bottom side, and playoff for the 2nd place Euro and 2nd last 6 nations.

If we lose two teams in the 6 nations, then they clearly weren't up for it. That being said, it'll struggle to happen as the bigger countries will throw tantrums at the thought of it.

Better chance of it being extended to 7 nations.

1 minute ago, rezzy said:

Perhaps even direct promotion to the winner of the European Championship for the bottom side, and playoff for the 2nd place Euro and 2nd last 6 nations.

If we lose two teams in the 6 nations, then they clearly weren't up for it. That being said, it'll struggle to happen as the bigger countries will throw tantrums at the thought of it.

Better chance of it being extended to 7 nations.

And then in 5-7 years we'll have the same discussion when whichever country it is will have an argument to be included. So might as well plan for the long-term future.

2 minutes ago, dualtamac said:

And then in 5-7 years we'll have the same discussion when whichever country it is will have an argument to be included. So might as well plan for the long-term future.

Like a full blown European championships of sorts?

We have a world cup, so i dont see why these things haven't already been expanded to a reasonable level.

50% of footballing nations are trash, and thats not stopping anybody from being allowed to try.

1 hour ago, rezzy said:

Like a full blown European championships of sorts?

We have a world cup, so i dont see why these things haven't already been expanded to a reasonable level.

50% of footballing nations are trash, and thats not stopping anybody from being allowed to try.

A two-tier system, maybe three if rugby gets popular enough. Promotion/relegation playoffs. Not that hard to put in place. You take out the rest week in the 6 Nations and you add the playoff match at the end of the Championship in its' place. This would also promote squad rotation in the 6 Nations as well. It's only adding one more match to the calendar. 

20 hours ago, SimplyGiggs said:

World rankings are skewered, in a similar vein to FIFA rankings.

It is banishing Italy because they are perennial wooden spoon holders. What you'd get would be a yearly play off between Italy and Georgia as they are the most established European side outside the Six Nations. So ask yourself, what is the end goal?

Italy aren't always the bottom side but i see a number of advantages.

1. It would bridge the gap without expanding the six nations. What other avenues are there?

2. It'd help expand the game further to emerging nations, providing them with incentives 

3. It'd encourage italy in particular to up their game given how they have been stagnating for quite some time now.

England wales was a tight game. England weren't all that dynamic as an attacking force which is a concern because as good as wales were england didnt really threaten much after the opening 20 minutes. Will be interesting how ireland get on against wales. Having gatland back seems to have given them a huge boost.

On 2/10/2018 at 22:22, John Locke said:

England wales was a tight game. England weren't all that dynamic as an attacking force which is a concern because as good as wales were england didnt really threaten much after the opening 20 minutes. Will be interesting how ireland get on against wales. Having gatland back seems to have given them a huge boost.

It was the best defensive performance under Jones. The games against Ireland and Wales are always dogfights. The goal is World Cup so we won't really know how good this side is until they face NZ anyway.

The first choice Ireland side pretty much strolled over Italy.

We only conceded when we lost two of our best players to Injury, and then took off pretty much all of our key players for younger players.

Larmour and Carbery didnt play very well at all.  We're pretty light in the center positions too which is shit because we dont have Ringrose and Henshaw is vital to us. Hopefully Furlong isnt out for long as hes probably the best in his position currently.

Stockdale can be quite lazy at the back too, so he needs to sort that out. Leavy lost a step or two late into the game too.

Better to concede 19 vs Italy playing Youth and protecting our remaining key players than risk them and win by another 20 points.

17 hours ago, SimplyGiggs said:

It was the best defensive performance under Jones. The games against Ireland and Wales are always dogfights. The goal is World Cup so we won't really know how good this side is until they face NZ anyway.

I'm not that confident of us winning the world cup as things stand. Jones has done a fine job in getting the best out of the players but we still lack a little xfactor behind the scrum. Watson, daly, farrell, youngs/care are all quality but not so convinced by the rest.