Sign in to follow this  
haggler

Six Nations 2018

Well what a match that was to open the championship 

Scots tackling was manful and they showed some balls kicking for touch with three to go rather than go for the three points.

Ireland will play like beasts against England as we could be on for another slam.

I wonder if the French will turn up today?

There will be no slam this year for any team I think. Scotland away was the match I feared the most and it was great. Fantastic match. The Scots will be a real force in the coming years, no questions.

England and Ireland will battle it out for the Championship, Scotland are the dark horses. France will be France though they have played pretty well today.

38 minutes ago, SimplyGiggs said:

If there's one nailed on name in the Lions team it is surely Owen Farrell.

CJ Stander? Stuart Hogg? Both of them can argue to be player of the tournament so far alongside Farrell and thus be considered nailed-on Lions.

5 minutes ago, dualtamac said:

CJ Stander? Stuart Hogg? Both of them can argue to be player of the tournament so far alongside Farrell and thus be considered nailed-on Lions.

They'll both be on the plane, no doubt. This is Gatland's side though and Warburton has been the beneficiary of most of his major decisions with a deep pool of back row options. 

I disagree with it but it's also likely Halfpenny will be picked over Hogg. 

Farrell however, is head and shoulders above every centre in the NH right now. So much so I think Ford might be starting fly-half to keep that partnership - even though I think Sexton, Biggar and Russell are better international 10s.

1 hour ago, SimplyGiggs said:

They'll both be on the plane, no doubt. This is Gatland's side though and Warburton has been the beneficiary of most of his major decisions with a deep pool of back row options. 

I disagree with it but it's also likely Halfpenny will be picked over Hogg. 

Farrell however, is head and shoulders above every centre in the NH right now. So much so I think Ford might be starting fly-half to keep that partnership - even though I think Sexton, Biggar and Russell are better international 10s.

Stander is head and shoulders the outstanding back row forward in Europe, maybe even the world. He's got to start. 

Yeah, true enough about Halfpenny...

Farrell I can agree with now, but I don't see him breaking up the Sexton-Murray partnership first and foremost.

I've only watched the england games but so far I've been disappointed with the contribution of certain players.  Apart from those that have been dropped the likes of brown joseph youngs and Clifford have been poor. Hartley ford and hughes have also looked average. I think changes need to be made or we'll struggle against ireland if that turns out to be the decider.

16 hours ago, TheBeardedOne said:

I've only watched the england games but so far I've been disappointed with the contribution of certain players.  Apart from those that have been dropped the likes of brown joseph youngs and Clifford have been poor. Hartley ford and hughes have also looked average. I think changes need to be made or we'll struggle against ireland if that turns out to be the decider.

I think you're being a little harsh on some of those. The balance is off in the pack - Robshaw, Kruis and both Vunipolas would almost certainly be starters, so the strength in depth for other players to come in and win test matches is impressive. Itoje being pushed into the back row when he is a Lions-calibre lock is one of the issues Eddie Jones has contended with. 

I would drop both Youngs and Hartley as I think they are not up to level. Jamie George especially has looked seriously impressive in his cameos. 

Performance levels were always going to be difficult to replicate from 2016. But having the mentality to push through and take the win when you are struggling with injuries or not having your best day is a great skill to have, it's something the Southern hemisphere teams have perfected. No need to push panic buttons even when this winning run eventually ends.

Its admirable that we have shown such mental toughness, winning without key players but I'm still concerned that if we don't improve considerably on our form of the first two games we'll struggle to break the record. I doubt there will be wholesale changes and certain positions don't have much depth. Hopefully the return of haskell, vunipola and care to the starting xv will help us take our game up a level. Thats certainly the key area of the field where we need to dominate.

So typical for Scotland to fall short. I'm glad they didn't blame the injuries although Laidlaw is obviously a massive loss.

Finn Russell's missed penalty was just bizzare and he had such a poor performance compared to the opener. 

I doubt italy has done their cause much good of being relegated from the six nations at some point in the future. Still it's dissappointing england couldn't adapt. However a team that plays in the six nations should think the are capable of giving the other team a game. 

I watched the end of the ireland game. They looked strong. I can't see england being favorites going into that game. They do not have the cohesion of last year but should be a great game anyway.

Apart from the from the front row and flankers i can see a lions line-up emerging. 

15. Hogg 14. North 13. Joseph 12. Farrell or Henshaw 11.Daley 10. Sexton 9. Murray or Webb 8. Vunipola 7? 6? 5. Launchbury 4. Wynn Jones  (c) 321???

On 04/02/2017 at 16:21, haggler said:

Well what a match that was to open the championship 

Scots tackling was manful and they showed some balls kicking for touch with three to go rather than go for the three points.

Ireland will play like beasts against England as we could be on for another slam.

I wonder if the French will turn up today?

And so it came to pass

Suberb from Sexton. As good a performance as I have seen

Well done Ireland

3 hours ago, O said:

The kicker, the only player with an ounce of skill, wins this bitch.

Not the lads that just battered into people from our own 22 up the pitch in 40 phases to set it up for Sexton.

Dodgy first game. Some kick to win it.

27 minutes ago, rezzy said:

Not the lads that just battered into people from our own 22 up the pitch in 40 phases to set it up for Sexton.

Dodgy first game. Some kick to win it.

The untalented guys? Nah.

8 hours ago, John Locke said:

Six nations 2017 was last year. New thread needed. I watched some of ireland game but it didn't look like either side was capable of scoring a try. 

Easier to just rename the topic

Was very disappointed in Scotland and very pleasantly surprised by Wales. It seems Howley and Gatland haven't ruined what those Scarlets are doing yet!

9 hours ago, John Locke said:

Six nations 2017 was last year. New thread needed. I watched some of ireland game but it didn't look like either side was capable of scoring a try. 

Nobody looks capable of scoring a try in modern Rugby. 

9 minutes ago, Albert Quixall said:

England did a pretty good job of scoring against what I thought was a decent and spirited Italian side.

Italy are fairly shite at Rugby.