pailo

Paul Scholes Thread

I have to agree with him. Playing two left backs as central defenders isn't ideal. I think De Gea could have done more to save that free kick. On the whole, I think he was quite restrained but I can't argue with his opinion that we can't keep on chopping and changing managers.

Just now, Albert Quixall said:

I have to agree with him. Playing two left backs as central defenders isn't ideal. I think De Gea could have done more to save that free kick. On the whole, I think he was quite restrained but I can't argue with his opinion that we can't keep on chopping and changing managers.

Since when is Blind classified as a left back?

He sounded like a broken man post-match. Fed up and resigned to failure. I do think he is a better pundit when United are not involved. His opinions naturally become less biased and more analytical as opposed to trying to adapt to the rawness of a United defeat. They say calm rivers run deep. I think this is the case with Scholes. Quiet and aloof when playing but he just refuses to take the red tints off for a second. Gary Neville has slowly come to terms with handling a balanced view point. It is not an easy thing to do when the club is in your bones. 

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-football-paul-scholes-voted-greatest-premier-league-midfielder-of-all-time-20180804

This sorts of establish Scholes as the best midfielder ever in premier league.

Well more than 10 premier league titles with 2 champ league titles. Which other midfielder can be compared to Scholes?

Edited by hyruga

39 minutes ago, hyruga said:

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-football-paul-scholes-voted-greatest-premier-league-midfielder-of-all-time-20180804

This sorts of establish Scholes as the best midfielder ever in premier league.

Well more than 10 premier league titles with 2 champ league titles. Which other midfielder can be compared to Scholes?

If anything this lessens his credentials if you ask me.

13 hours ago, peterswellman said:

If anything this lessens his credentials if you ask me.

Why would that be? More people voted for him and the fans at sportsbible are from any club.

Longer distance Goals from Paul Scholes. His accurate powershots make him a better attacking midfielder than Pirlo imo.
And his defensive duties towards the tail end of his career sums him up as a versatile midfielder who can play almost anywhere in midfield.

Edited by hyruga

In case you haven't noticed, Manchester United are sitting pretty atop the Premier League with an eight-point cushion over cross-town rivals Manchester City. On Saturday, Janaury 7th, United were second on goal differential. Paul Scholes would come out of retirement the next day, and from then on United would go on an absolutely silly run, earning 34 of 36 possible points and turning the title 'race' into something of a joke.

It's easy to look at Scholes' return as a red herring - one man rarely makes a team, especially not a 37-year-old one who hadn't played for nine months. But the numbers tell an amazing story.

Scoles has started nine Premier League matches since coming out of retirement. United have won all nine of those matches by a cumulative score of 24-3. The three he didn't were at Arsenal, atChelsea and against Fulham. The cumulative score there was 6-4, including United's only draw since his return, the famous game at Stamford Bridge in which Chelsea raced out to a 3-0 lead, forcing a certain 37-year-old midfielder to come on as a substitute and rescue the point.

Huh.

As we all know, those statistics are hardly the be all and end all of the debate. United have been knocked out of the FA Cup and the Europa League since Scholes' return, so they're clearly not playing as well in general as their league form suggests, and they may well have padded their differential after Scholes has been substituted himself. Let's dig a little deeper.

How do United play with Scholes on the pitch vs. when he's off? Good question. The attack doesn't change much - they score once every 40 minutes with Scholes around vs. once every 44 with him elsewhere, which might as well be the same number. Their defending is a different story. Manchester United concede a goal once every 183 minutes while Scholes is playing, and once every 54 while he isn't.

The only match that United have lost when Scholes doesn't start was the FA Cup tie at Anfield, and the midfielder came off with the score at 1-1. Meanwhile, their overall record with Scholes not starting is four wins, one draw, and three Champ League losses, including a pair of humiliating performances against Athletic Bilbao in which he didn't feature at all.

The message is pretty simple: United are vulnerable without Scholes and are, more or less all-conquering force with him. Think Sir Alex Ferguson will let him retire again?

United had a 8 point lead over Man City in 11/12 on 11 April 2012.

After this article was written on 11 April 2012, United lost the away match against Wigan with Scholes NOT featuring. Then subsequently, United drew Everton, lost to City 1-0 away and in the end lost the title on goal difference.

In the subsequent season, United won the league by 14 points. Scholes retired after season 12/13 together with Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes took over as manager.

Edited by hyruga

Yes he may still live in Fergie Bubble as maybe the other Fergie lads but I'll tell you this it still hurts them to the core to see United playing like this and the club managed like this.

The pain is etched on them and sometimes it gets over passionate but it's genuine they care because they are United through and through.

You had 3 legends at Old Trafford tonight Law, Giggs and Beckham and the anguish on their faces was also clear to see as was Scholes and Rio in the studio.

If some of the current personnel showed that passion and grow a pair we might get somewhere!!

Edited by PVAD

Yes it seems time mourinho moved on is getting close but Paul Scholes has a cheek calling Mourinho an embarrassment to the club? 

I’m embarrassed for Scholes- thought he was made of better stuff;  didn’t hear a squeak from him as a player, since retiring he hasn’t shut up- he’s used his position & voice so negatively. 

Starting with LVG & not helping that situation, didn’t Scholes want Mourinho?  Thinks he has all the answers but he doesn’t.  At least the likes of Keane had a good go at management before becoming a pundit.  Scholes shud get off his ar*se follow Gerard / Lampard’s lead.  

1 hour ago, CB78 said:

Yes it seems time mourinho moved on is getting close but Paul Scholes has a cheek calling Mourinho an embarrassment to the club? 

I’m embarrassed for Scholes- thought he was made of better stuff;  didn’t hear a squeak from him as a player, since retiring he hasn’t shut up- he’s used his position & voice so negatively. 

Starting with LVG & not helping that situation, didn’t Scholes want Mourinho?  Thinks he has all the answers but he doesn’t.  At least the likes of Keane had a good go at management before becoming a pundit.  Scholes shud get off his ar*se follow Gerard / Lampard’s lead.  

It's almost as though he's paid to talk about football now rather than play it. 

2 hours ago, PVAD said:

Yes he may still live in Fergie Bubble as maybe the other Fergie lads but I'll tell you this it still hurts them to the core to see United playing like this and the club managed like this.

The pain is etched on them and sometimes it gets over passionate but it's genuine they care because they are United through and through.

You had 3 legends at Old Trafford tonight Law, Giggs and Beckham and the anguish on their faces was also clear to see as was Scholes and Rio in the studio.

If some of the current personnel showed that passion and grow a pair we might get somewhere!!

You can attribute lots of fans in that bubble. But dear good help those that came fans after SAF retired. They will have to cling onto found memorize of the Bog brush.

8 hours ago, aardvarked said:

It's almost as though he's paid to talk about football now rather than play it. 

he needs the money- just trying to make a decent living;-  + a lot to get off his chest after 2 decades of no interviews as a player.  

Scholes is becoming unbearable nowadays with his constant criticism. Everyone understands now that Jose is not for long term and can be gone anytime then why the continuous insults to players and club.