Sign in to follow this  
Jay007

The Scotland Thread

A thread pretty much for me and @CelticDevil! ?

A decent result for Scotland in the end tonight. We looked like we were making it hard for ourselves again when we conceded a poor goal and missed chances in the first half. We got some luck for a change tonight as well with a bizarre penalty and red card.

It was only Malta, but these are the games we usually limp along in so it was good to take advantage tonight and get a good win. 

Edited by Jay007

10 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Again?

O97G1_s-200x150.gif

The first British team, Celtic, to win The European Cup was Scottish. The manager, Jock Stein, was Scottish.

The second British manager, Sir Matt Busby, to win The European Cup was Scottish.

The man to start Liverpool's ascent to domination, Bill Shankly, was also Scottish.

The next great British manager to emerge after Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson, was again Scottish.

The great Liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's contained three world class Scottish players in Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness and Kenny Daelglish who was a Ballon d'Or runner up in 1983.

Denis Law is arguably United's best ever centre forward and is a Ballon d'Or winner.

Newcastle United's most prolific striker in history is not Alan Hansen, but rather a Scottish striker who goes by the name of Hughie Gallacher.

So although Scotland may not have won many trophies, the nation is associated with football greatness.

27 minutes ago, O said:

The first British team, Celtic, to win The European Cup was Scottish. The manager, Jock Stein, was Scottish.

The second British manager, Sir Matt Busby, to win The European Cup was Scottish.

The man to start Liverpool's ascent to domination, Bill Shankly, was also Scottish.

The next great British manager to emerge after Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson, was again Scottish.

The great Liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's contained three world class Scottish players in Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness and Kenny Daelglish who was a Ballon d'Or runner up in 1983.

Denis Law is arguably United's best ever centre forward and is a Ballon d'Or winner.

Newcastle United's most prolific striker in history is not Alan Hansen, but rather a Scottish striker who goes by the name of Hughie Gallacher.

So although Scotland may not have won many trophies, the nation is associated with football greatness.

Dude, nobody was talking about club football and I hardly need a history lesson on the success of Scottish people IN football. In case you haven't noticed it's a thread about the Scottish International side, especially since it's in the "INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL" sub-forum. . . Sort it out.

Just now, Albert Quixall said:

Come on. Scotland used to be a damned good side. In 1974 and 1978, the went to the WC finals when England couldn't even qualify.

So good they've never even gotten out of the group stage of the World Cup.

C'mon man. Scotland might have had a decent side with some good players here and there but they were never close to being "great". Have a word son.

Edited by Spoonman

32 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Dude, nobody was talking about club football and I hardly need a history lesson on the success of Scottish people IN football. In case you haven't noticed it's a thread about the Scottish International side, especially since it's in the "INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL" sub-forum. . . Sort it out.

C'mon man. Scotland might have had a decent side with some good players here and there but they were never close to being "great". Have a word son.

He wasn't referring to just the national team, but also the standard of their football and number of experts.

51 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

"I'd love to see Scotland as a force again. Some of the greatest players (and managers) in the game came from there."

"Come on. Scotland used to be a damned good side. In 1974 and 1978, the went to the WC finals when England couldn't even qualify."

Which of the above are incorrect statements?

He never said Scotland where a 'Great' team, he said they had a good team in the 70's - which is correct.

He said some of the greatest managers and players came from Scotland. This is also correct.

And then he also said (from his own personal opinion) he'd like them to become a force again. 

Your English bias is sickeningly obvious.

Oh and also, Ireland > England.

In 1967, they came down to Wembley and beat England, the World Cup winners, and beat them handily too. Only a few years before, Scotland had been hammered 9-3 on the same turf and utterly humiliated. You can't deny the Scots influence in the English game which has now declined somewhat but, hopefully, will return.

1 hour ago, rezzy said:

Your English bias is sickeningly obvious.

And the constant battery of Irish hatred towards England here is vaguely comical.

I am actually half Scottish myself and WUM'ing the fuck out of this thread for my own amusement. I'd have thought you, being Irish and you people being so fond of "the craic" would have gotten that, but then, maybe you're not full Irish huh? Maybe your great-granny shagged a Tan sailor and never told anyone. But any chance to spout some English abuse when England haven't even been mentioned can't be turned up can it?. . . Keep the spirit of 1916 alive brothers. ?

Edited by Spoonman

Scotland have had some truly great players but as a national side they've always been complete underachievers and bottlers. The fact that the die hards hold beating England in 1967 as some sort of unofficial world cup final shows that IMO. Then again im not a follower of the Scottish national side so I guess i've no right to comment. 

14 hours ago, O said:

Oh dear.

11 hours ago, Spoonman said:

And the constant battery of Irish hatred towards England here is vaguely comical.

I am actually half Scottish myself and WUM'ing the fuck out of this thread for my own amusement. I'd have thought you, being Irish and you people being so fond of "the craic" would have gotten that, but then, maybe you're not full Irish huh? Maybe your great-granny shagged a Tan sailor and never told anyone. But any chance to spout some English abuse when England haven't even been mentioned can't be turned up can it?. . . Keep the spirit of 1916 alive brothers. 1f606.png

So as soon as you're shown up as a twat you're suddenly 'WUM'ing'.

I've no problem with England or the English.

I do however have a problem when an Englishman attempts to sit on a high horse and belittle other nations.

Sort it out son.

Edited by rezzy

21 hours ago, CelticDevil said:

Scotland have had some truly great players but as a national side they've always been complete underachievers and bottlers. The fact that the die hards hold beating England in 1967 as some sort of unofficial world cup final shows that IMO. Then again im not a follower of the Scottish national side so I guess i've no right to comment. 

I do follow the national side - not a diehard it must be said though, but I agree with this as well. I think Scotland have had some great teams over the years in terms of individual players, but as a team things have never come together and have bottled in countless times.

It's amazing the amount of times we've very nearly got there, but yet always find a way to blow it. You can only be unlucky a certain number of times - when you're "unlucky" on continually, there's something else wrong.

9 hours ago, rezzy said:

I do however have a problem when an Englishman attempts to sit on a high horse and belittle other nations.

Sort it out son.

How dare you say such things about one of the main forces of international football, after all the "home of football" who have won a grand total of one World Cup trophies which was on home soil.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 22:56, Albert Quixall said:

In 1967, they came down to Wembley and beat England, the World Cup winners, and beat them handily too. Only a few years before, Scotland had been hammered 9-3 on the same turf and utterly humiliated. You can't deny the Scots influence in the English game which has now declined somewhat but, hopefully, will return.

Denis Law played in both games and he was very annoyed and angry at Jim Baxter,who was more interested in taking the piss than scoring goals,by all accounts the 3-2 scoreline flattered England that day.

12 hours ago, rezzy said:

Sort it out son.

Nah. Was clearly Wum'ing from the start. You can't see it? That means you thick as shit son.

"Belittle", "Englishman", "high horse". . . ? Holy fuck, I knew some of you Irish guys on here have a real chip on your shoulder about England and English people and so try to force every situation to fit your view but that shit is comical.

Edited by Spoonman

On 6 September 2016 at 23:56, Albert Quixall said:

In 1967, they came down to Wembley and beat England, the World Cup winners, and beat them handily too. Only a few years before, Scotland had been hammered 9-3 on the same turf and utterly humiliated. You can't deny the Scots influence on our game which has now declined somewhat but, hopefully, will return.

Martin Buchan.

That means you thick as shit son.

but that shit is comical.

Why are you typing like you're 15? You're like 40.

13 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Nah. Was clearly Wum'ing from the start. You can't see it? That means you thick as shit son.

"Belittle", "Englishman", "high horse". . . 1f606.png Holy fuck, I knew some of you Irish guys on here have a real chip on your shoulder about England and English people and so try to force every situation to fit your view but that shit is comical.

This isnt even about Ireland, its a discussion about some twat belittling Scotland, their managers and their players.

But if you want to feel i have a grudge. Be my guest.

1 hour ago, rezzy said:

Why are you typing like you're 15? You're like 40.

Because I feel like it. What's it to you, you dopey looking cunt? I'm not 40. But if you think that's some kind of insult then fuck it, I'm 65. What of it?

But if you want to feel i have a grudge. Be my guest.

Yep.

@ a bloke who posts this randomly

Oh and also, Ireland > England.

Then posting this, in the very same thread:

This isnt even about Ireland,

Some people just have no control over their own stupidity.

Edited by Spoonman

45 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Because I feel like it. What's it to you, you dopey looking cunt? I'm not 40. But if you think that's some kind of insult then fuck it, I'm 65. What of it?

Yep.

1f606.png @ a bloke who posts this randomly

Then posting this, in the very same thread:

Some people just have no control over their own stupidity.

I'm arguing with someones grandad over the internet. ?

7 hours ago, rezzy said:

I'm arguing with someones grandad over the internet. 1f602.png

I wouldn't worry. Not like you've anything better to do. Getting all worked up over "the Internet" about someone supposedly "belittling" the Scotland national side. . . First World problems, huh?

Edited by Spoonman

On 9/7/2016 at 18:37, this does not slip said:

Denis Law played in both games and he was very annoyed and angry at Jim Baxter,who was more interested in taking the piss than scoring goals,by all accounts the 3-2 scoreline flattered England that day.

Jim Baxter was a lovely player. He had all the skills and then some. The booze got him as it has many a great.

The Slovakia game was absolutely shocking. Sure we had decent possession, but we couldn't create chances and couldn't stop them from creating chances so you can hardly say we played well.

Strachan should go, but as I said in the other thread after Lithuania there's really no obvious replacement. We'd have to take a big risk in picking someone with a) little managerial experience at the top level or b) someone who hasn't exactly pulled up any trees or c) a foreign manager which wouldn't go down well after Bertie Vogts, or a combination of the 3.

I think it's obvious that people got carried away during the first half of the last qualifying campaign (as I said at the time because we still at the same problems then), and it's true that we have a dearth of talent in a couple of areas in particular. But Strachan's decisions are baffling, he doesn't pick the best players available to him, takes players off when they're coming into the game, while showing favouritism towards others.